2013 Nebula Award Nominees

Elf Witch

First Post
I don't agree that Dr Who will win just because its is the 50th anniversary. I know several members of the SFWA and they thought both Gravity and Her were fantastic movies.

I don't agree that Dr Who will win just because its is the 50th anniversary. I know several members of the SFWA and they thought both Gravity and Her were fantastic movies.

well, it will put in a better than normal showing when voting happens and wow i didn't know there's 1800 members of the SFWA

Works are nominated each year between November 15 and February 15 by published authors who are members of the organization, and the six works that receive the most nominations then form the final ballot, with additional nominees possible in the case of ties. Members may then vote on the ballot throughout March, and the final results are presented at the Nebula Awards ceremony in May. Authors are not permitted to nominate their own works, though they can decline nominations, and ties in the final vote are broken, if possible, by the number of nominations the works received

EDIT: who looks like Doctor Who has been up twice and didn't get it.

So there's some nice trivia for how it all works.

Last edited:

Elf Witch

First Post
well, it will put in a better than normal showing when voting happens and wow i didn't know there's 1800 members of the SFWA

Works are nominated each year between November 15 and February 15 by published authors who are members of the organization, and the six works that receive the most nominations then form the final ballot, with additional nominees possible in the case of ties. Members may then vote on the ballot throughout March, and the final results are presented at the Nebula Awards ceremony in May. Authors are not permitted to nominate their own works, though they can decline nominations, and ties in the final vote are broken, if possible, by the number of nominations the works received

EDIT: who looks like Doctor Who has been up twice and didn't get it.

So there's some nice trivia for how it all works.

I am not saying that it won't win but if it does it won't because of sentimentality of it being the 50th anniversary. Now I won't be surprised if it wins thew Hugo this year since that is a fan thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Ah, but here's the thing - the Nebula award isn't actually for "best dramatic presentation". SFWA is a *writers* association. The award is technically for best script.

Gravity for example, may have been an awesome movie - but much of that is directorial and special effects, not scriptwriting. Same goes for Pacific Rim. Fun, fun movie, but best script? Nah.

Her, probably has a solid chance on writing. But Day of the Doctor does too.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ah, but here's the thing - the Nebula award isn't actually for "best dramatic presentation". SFWA is a *writers* association. The award is technically for best script.

Gravity for example, may have been an awesome movie - but much of that is directorial and special effects, not scriptwriting. Same goes for Pacific Rim. Fun, fun movie, but best script? Nah.

Her, probably has a solid chance on writing. But Day of the Doctor does too.

I know it is a writer association I think it depends on the writer on how they vote for example Adam Troy Castro is also a huge movie buff so he looks at the complete picture when he votes. Both David Gerrold and GRRM worked in TV and also tend to look at the complete picture. I know that Her is very popular as a story so I am betting on that taking the award. But I have been wrong about half the time.:erm:

Last edited:

Serendipity

Explorer
Nice to see Charles Gannon in there, even if I only know him from his excellent Traveller articles back in the old Challenge Magazine.

Remove ads