A few of my feats:

Spring Attack
Power Attack
Two-Weapon Fighting
Ambidexterity

I have the following weapons:

2 Shortswords +2
1 Greatsword +2 Thundering

Now, which would you do, dual wield with the shortswords or go for more damage with the greatsword?

Are you seriously asking? You just wasted two feats on Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting, and you can't use a shield regardless of which weapon you use.

Take the greatsword - unless you are a rogue.

In that case take the short swords and take Weapon Finesse (short sword).

If the short swords had some special ability, it might be worth it, but you still usffer a -2 to hit penalty.

Dursk Starkfire

First Post
TWF vs THW

Two-Weapon Fighting will always suck compared to fighting with a Two-Handed Weapon UNLESS:
a) you are a rogue AND have a decent sneak attack (+3D6 minimum) AND have TWF AND have Ambidexterity AND have weapon focus

yep, that is the only instance that TWF is useful. sorry!

anyway, be a real man and use the greatsword.

dursk

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Greatsword! Especially if it's a Thundering Greatsword. Good base damage, good bonus damage type.

If you have a high Strength (14 or higher) you'll do a lot more damage with a greatsword.

-- Nifft

magnas_veritas

First Post
Nifft said:
Greatsword! Especially if it's a Thundering Greatsword. Good base damage, good bonus damage type.

If you have a high Strength (14 or higher) you'll do a lot more damage with a greatsword.

-- Nifft

Ugh. Thundering. You need IC: Greatsword to make it even vaguely useful; sure, it's an extra d8 and a Fort save to avoid being deafened, but it's a piddly DC and Deafness isn't that penalizing except to spellcasters (with the 20% spell failure for verbal component-using spells). I don't really see how that's worth a +2 enhancement. I'd take Screaming any day.

Hrm. Both will have their uses. However, doing it two-weapon style (including going down the extra attacks hierarchy), you get twice the attacks, at a 10% penalty (-2, remember, unless you're a high-level Tempest), with about the same damage if all your attacks hit.

Adding in sneak attack would tip the balance, but sometimes you NEED that extra +2 to hit, because, well, that big nasty monster you're flanking has so little Dex that it doesn't matter that you're flanking it.

I'd be prepared to do both. In fact, that's what my character does; he switches between a two-hand weapon and a pair of shortswords as need be, or when he feels like it. I almost wish I had EWP: Kukri, as we just saw a NICE pair of +5 Vorpal Kukri (with matching set of Scabbards of Keen Edge). We don't *have* them, but they're quite nice.

Brad

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
What other people are saying: Wield the greatsword. It's much much better with spring attack since you only get one attack anyway.

Keep one shortsword in case you're grappled or need stealth.

If you can, trade the other shortsword to someone in return for a set of enchanted armor spikes and a +1 shield. (Then use TWF and Ambidex with the greatsword and armor spikes when you've a full attack action to use and spring attack when it's convenient. And if you need AC, you can pull out a shield and dual wield your short sword with the armor spikes.

James McMurray

First Post
What fits the character better? Is he a burly guy that wants to hack you in half? If so, go Greatsword. If he's a guy that wants to whittle you down with his skill, go Short swords.

Remove ads