Cultural appropriation in writing?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm just not sure what cultural stereotypes have to do with cultural appropriation.

Most of us are saying, "You can write about other cultures, just so long as you learn about what you're writing, are respectful, and don't slap around a lot of stereotypes"

Then someone asked about stereotypes that say nice things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm reluctant to open the can of worms marked "noble savage" because so much ink has been spilt in relation to it already that it's a corpus of literature in its own right

Fine. I'm not married to that example. The "All Asians are smart, good at math and play the violin," works better, being more about today in any event.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fine. I'm not married to that example. The "All Asians are smart, good at math and play the violin," works better, being more about today in any event.

Weirdly, I think this is the first time I've heard that stereotype.

Janx

Hero

well, here in the US, the stereotype in schools is that it's the asian kids with the best test scores, and most of them are driven hard by their parents and take violin lessons (or some other musical instrument)

like all stereotypes, there is some truth to the matter. Not that ALL asians are that way, but that more of them do have better math scores, than other demographics.

And that's the first mistake in folks who get offended by a "positive" stereotype. While somebody saying "black people are better at basketball" is being overly broad and obviously working with a stereotype, the fact is, you see more black guys on a basketball team than white. The statement is obviously not about EVERY black person. But instead it should be take as a generalization that there's an inordinate amount of people in that group who exhibit that trait than other groups.

Laymen don't speak in precise technical terms, listeners need to chill out and see the grain of truth in what's being said.

Derren

Hero
To a lesser degree this happens all the time among “western” nations and that arguably makes them all acceptable target. For example, Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series is not likely to be accused of racism and other problems when the characters are running around England, France, Germany and possibly even Russia. But what about when they are in China, Africa and South America?

As you specifically call out Novik's Temeraire, what description in them do you find problematic?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Well, stereotypes are cultural constructs. You are in a different nation, with different relationships between your majority and minorities. I wouldn't be surprised if you had stereotypes of the Scots or Irish that I'd never heard of.

Zander

Explorer
"Sauvage" translated in English can mean "wild". "Noble wilding" would be a good translation. Still is offensive.

"Sauvage" can mean that but generally means in its natural state. "Un pigeon sauvage" doesn't usually mean an unruly or vicious pigeon. It means an undomesticated one, i.e. one in the wild.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
"Sauvage" can mean that but generally means in its natural state. "Un pigeon sauvage" doesn't usually mean an unruly or vicious pigeon. It means an undomesticated one, i.e. one in the wild.
Thank you for explaining to me my native tongue.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well, stereotypes are cultural constructs. You are in a different nation, with different relationships between your majority and minorities. I wouldn't be surprised if you had stereotypes of the Scots or Irish that I'd never heard of.

Or more likely Indians and Pakis fill the Niche afterall the "Kumars at 42" stretched the stereotypes out for seven seasons

As you specifically call out Novik's Temeraire, what description in them do you find problematic?

I don't have a problem with it, but I am an American, a honkey. I cannot speak for the reactions of the English to the book, or for how Peruvians might react (the books go to a fictional Incan empire still standing in the 19th century), or for how Kenyans might react (the books visit a fictional anti-slavery inner African society run by dragons) or for how Chinese might react (the books visit a fictional strong, imperial 19th century China). I cannot speak for these people, but I can ask what others think.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases