Why Do Batman Fans Hate Christopher Nolan?

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
They don't hate them. The Nolan Batman movies are extremely popular. Two of them made over a billion dollars. I enjoy all three immensely. They're as good, if not better in some ways, than the Marvel offerings.

Personally, even putting aside the plot holes, I have mxed feelings about the trilogy as superhero films.
While I love CN's stuff in general (Inception, Memento, etc.), I found the Batman trilogy hard to get through.

While they're generally technically proficient, well-written, well-cast and (mostly) well-acted films...
they just don't being me the JOY that other superheroes movies do. (And yes, I understand that Batman is a darker, grimmer character, but tha shouldn't make the movie any less pleasurable/joyful.)

For instance, as bad as it is, the "Fantastic Four" movie remains a guilty pleasure that I can pick up and re-watch and enjoy periodically, warts and all. "Batman Begins" on the other hand, is something

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Maybe they haven't made the connection. But a celebrity presumed dead and reappearing is news.

Most people wouldn't. But all it takes is one person to say "Hey, that guy looks familiar", snap a picture, and post it online somewhere. A lot of borderline celebrities claim they have no privacy because stuff like this happens. And if, say, the remnants of the league of shadows caught on to this and Bruce no longer has his cool toys...

My take on the whole situation is that his life would be quite a challenge, that's all.

Maybe, but a financial/business celebrity is quite a bit different from a movie/TV star celebrity (or a family with a very good publicist celebrity). That's typically a much lower level of exposure.

Ahnehnois

First Post
they just don't being me the JOY that other superheroes movies do. (And yes, I understand that Batman is a darker, grimmer character, but tha shouldn't make the movie any less pleasurable/joyful.)
That really goes to an identity issue though. Was Batman every really a superhero? In a lot of ways, he is very distinct from most of the other characters that are referred to as such (even though in some incarnations he actually shares the playing field with "Super"-man).

To me, one of the foundations of the character's lore is that he is not super (meaning above or better than) human. He doesn't have any powers, just a lot of money and some nice tech. He isn't operating from some moral superiority either, he's just a guy who's feeling lost and vengeful and is trying to channel it into something. Those are things the movies definitely are trying to capture.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
No Robin. Batman needs a Robin. Batman requires a Robin. First film should have ended with Bruce going to the circus, second film should have had a truncated Robin origin and Two-Face, save the Joker for your crown in the trilogy.

For the love of god, no. Robin is terrible.

That stupid, stupid 'Batman Voice' that Bale adopts in the second and third films. The Bane voice is even worse.

That wasn't Bale, it was Nolan. Done in post, holmes.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Robin serves a function: he's there so Batman has someone to explain what he's doing to. Robin is the audience for Batman's thoughts.
At least, that was the original idea, so that everything wasn't a thought bubble.

Aristotle: yeah, what a poser. "Founder of Dramatic Criticism." Pffft, what does he know?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Robin serves a function: he's there so Batman has someone to explain what he's doing to. Robin is the audience for Batman's thoughts.
At least, that was the original idea, so that everything wasn't a thought bubble.

Aristotle: yeah, what a poser. "Founder of Dramatic Criticism." Pffft, what does he know?

I'd rather see a thought bubble than a loser/poser/lackey.

Mallus

Legend
He didn't know how to write *every possible* good story/play/film/<insert medium here> that would ever be written, ie there a plenty of great works that don't conform to Aristotle-based criticism.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I'd rather see a thought bubble than a loser/poser/lackey.

Well, these days Batman could just talk into a tape recorder or note-taker and have it turned into special files on the Bat Computer.

Not all Robins are poser lackeys.

True. Death of a Salesman is a rather famous deviation from the formula. Decide for yourself if it is a success or not.
Aristotle's Principles were made for Tragedies. He never wrote (of if he did, they're lost) principles for comedies. Funny, though, how well those principles still hold up. Some updates necessary, but still a good foundation.

Last edited:

Remove ads