Why Do Batman Fans Hate Christopher Nolan?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
why all the apparent hate?

Several reasons:
They don't feel like Batman films, they feel like mundane crime drama films with a character that sorta resembles Batman who appears in less than half the film. The first half of the first movie was very good, since we've never gotten a film with Bruce's training. Also, kudos for using R'as al Ghul.

The emphasis on 'realism' set up expectations and tone for other DC films - DC characters don't do 'realism' very well at all. The vast majority of them are very much larger than life. As a good example, the Bane you see there is a pale shadow of the actual character. Characters can be done in a 'realistic style' without sacrificing their integrity. We can see how this played out to terrible, terrible effect in Man of Steel, and the others like likely to be just as bad as long as Nolan is king of the hill at WB.

No Robin. Batman needs a Robin. Batman requires a Robin. First film should have ended with Bruce going to the circus, second film should have had a truncated Robin origin and Two-Face, save the Joker for your crown in the trilogy.

That stupid, stupid 'Batman Voice' that Bale adopts in the second and third films. The Bane voice is even worse.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
That stupid, stupid 'Batman Voice' that Bale adopts in the second and third films. The Bane voice is even worse.
As it happens, Bane and his voice helped me memorize a formula I needed for a test today because I like them so much!

You have merely adopted the shadow; I was born in it.
I did not see the light of day until I was a man.

So, so creepy! Just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste.

One of the thing that many people call out is the end of Dark Knight Rises, where Wayne is in a cafe and everyone is all "why does no one recognise him?!?"
Which never bugged me at all.

I never saw any reason people overseas would recognise Bruce Wayne. He was a minor US celebrity. Especially as, at that point, he was broke.

Imagine if you will, there was a vigilante in New York. The Batwoman. She was armed with all kinds of high tech gadgets and regularly put herself in harm.
And then someone comes and says to you "I know who the Batwoman is. I figured it it. It's... Paris Hilton!"
What would your honest reaction be?

Now imagine the Hilton family goes under. The company survives by the Hiltons themselves are broke. Then there was some kind of terrorist attack in New York and hundreds if not thousands of people were killed but many, many bodies were not recovered. Among the presumed dead is Miss Hilton.
And after that, in some place in Europe, someone spots Paris having an espresso.
Is the reaction when people hear that "OMG she's alive?" or is it "Huh. Thought she was dead. Pass the chips" or "was she dining with Elvis?"

Ahnehnois

First Post
The thing with that is, he only has to get recognized by one person. If hundreds or thousands of people walk by him in a metropolitan area, even if only one of them figures out who it is, that could be a serious problem.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
No problem.
A good movie has strong plot and character development (one of these MUST be the driving force for the rest).
If that were a universal rule the Transformers movies wouldn't have made all of that cash*.

*I consider that if they made so much money some people must have found them good.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
The thing with that is, he only has to get recognized by one person. If hundreds or thousands of people walk by him in a metropolitan area, even if only one of them figures out who it is, that could be a serious problem.
The solution is obvious then: Bruce should have just bought a pair of glasses after pulling the big fake.

Hey, if it works for one caped superhero...;)

I do not thing that at any point in the movies, Batman was publically identified as Bruce Wayne. They disappeared, one in a nuclear explosion, the other during a terrible terrorist attack that lasted months. No one really kept track of who was where. And a lot of other people - some of them rich and influential - died there. (Remember all the people that were "exiled" to death from the Gotham City wall street equivalent.)
And furthermore, Wayne had not appeared much in the public for years before that. He only briefly returned to the public eye when he went practically bankrupt, and a while later, in some obituary.

I wouldn't recognize Waren Buffett in a small street café. And if I would, I would probably not assume it was him, but just someone fairly similar. (Like how I saw someone that looked eerily similar to Klaus Kinski once in a cafeteria.)

Ahnehnois

First Post
I do not thing that at any point in the movies, Batman was publically identified as Bruce Wayne.
Maybe they haven't made the connection. But a celebrity presumed dead and reappearing is news.

I wouldn't recognize Waren Buffett in a small street café. And if I would, I would probably not assume it was him, but just someone fairly similar. (Like how I saw someone that looked eerily similar to Klaus Kinski once in a cafeteria.)
Most people wouldn't. But all it takes is one person to say "Hey, that guy looks familiar", snap a picture, and post it online somewhere. A lot of borderline celebrities claim they have no privacy because stuff like this happens. And if, say, the remnants of the league of shadows caught on to this and Bruce no longer has his cool toys...

My take on the whole situation is that his life would be quite a challenge, that's all.

Hussar

Legend
Maybe they haven't made the connection. But a celebrity presumed dead and reappearing is news.

Most people wouldn't. But all it takes is one person to say "Hey, that guy looks familiar", snap a picture, and post it online somewhere. A lot of borderline celebrities claim they have no privacy because stuff like this happens. And if, say, the remnants of the league of shadows caught on to this and Bruce no longer has his cool toys...

My take on the whole situation is that his life would be quite a challenge, that's all.

Well, let's be honest here. The odds that you could actually keep a secret identity in this day and age is pretty far fetched anyway. Good grief, how many CCTV's are there in any major urban centre? Do you really think it would take very long for anyone to "pierce" the cowl using today's technology?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I suppose the real issue to me is that the whole series of movies was about consequences and impossible choices and life being hard, and then in the end this far-fetched plan that would never work happens and everything is apparently fine.

Remove ads