How Many Hours Do You Usually Spend in a Level?

How many hours of play does your group spend in a given level?

Hussar

Legend
Like the title says, in any edition, I don't care which one you want to pick, how many hours does your group usually spend in play before levelling up. Pick the one that's closest.

I allowed multiple choices for those who play at different speeds depending on different factors. That should make pollster critics happy.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'd say probably right around 10 hours. Anything beyond 2-3 sessions or 10-15 hours just feels like a drag to me. And really impractical given the scope of the game and the amount of time I have to devote to it.

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Probably about 8-9 hours of play in my 4e game. In my 3e game, it was probably anywhere from 15-25 hours of play, depending on how often we played. When we were playing 3-4 days per week, it was probably 25ish hours of play. Later on, when we would only play once every few months (while we were playing my RPG instead and only visiting the characters), it was probably once every 8-9 hours again.

Obryn

Hero
I tend to slow it down as levels increase. At most 10 hours early on, and more once we hit paragon. So none of the above. :)

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
My games tend to run on a curve: low levels (1-2) are usually a session or two (roughly 5-10 hours), mid levels (3-13) are usually two to five sessions (roughly 10-25 hours), high levels (14+) are back to a session or two (roughly 5-10 hours).

Serendipity

Explorer
I opted for 21-30 hours, as an *at least* and even then that only applies to, for example, the last time I ran Pathfinder (rather than 1e, OD&D, or something more my speed). As a general rule, leveling is not the most important thing about our games.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
We don't level up like clockwork in our games. I can tell you for sure that we aren't in a rush when we do level. We also don't level in the middle of dungeons or anything of that nature. We level up when we get appropriate downtime.

S

Sunseeker

20-30, on average. We game about 5 hours a week, give or take. And we spend a month-ish at each level. Though it can go quicker if people are very on the ball or clever about their actions, and it can go slower if they are not, or don't show up on time.

It tends to go faster in the early levels, where I'd not estimate more than 3 sessions per level (till around 6th), and it slows down in the later levels (12th-ish), because you'll be taking care of more stuff and generally doing more important things that take more time and effort and careful planning. But generally I try to aim for about 4-6 sessions per level. Give people time to play their character without worrying about their next choices, but keeping the iron hot.

Tovec

Explorer
I honestly have no idea when a level happens in terms of hours. I'm guessing its 10-20 for my game but who knows. I don't use XP and don't budget encounters. When I run a fight it is as big or small as I think it should be based on narrative and situation. I tell them to level up after a significant chunk of time has passed, or after larger set pieces - defeat the big bad or complete big goal, then time to level up!

In the past when I was running a constant weekly game, I remember I once thought I would award levels approximately once per two sessions. With sessions then averaging 4-6 mark so just over the 10 hour mark. But I remember that that went out the window pretty early on and turned into 3+ sessions so that is why I'm guessing at 10-20.

Most recently I've been running a system of my own design and been doing days long marathon sessions, wherein the sole player taking on very large threats well over his level - and in that he will level once per session give or take. This has felt about right. But that would mean the hours per level would tally in at 30+ or so per level (in a single 2 day marathon, with breaks).

I guess I just wish there was an option for "it varies" or even one for "hours per level doesn't matter." Though as I'm reading replies I also think there should be some more specificity asking at what tier/level you are talking about. One poll to ask how long from level 1 to level 2 and then another poll for how long from 19-20? Or even asking if that matters, I think that question alone will vary.

Remove ads