Alchemy, Herbalism, and Enchanting question

DokDaka

First Post
I've been reading through the O.L.D. playtest document and am liking what I'm seeing so far. There is just one point I'm a bit confused on. When using Herbalism or Alchemy, by my understanding a character can create a potion with effects that add up to 1+Herbalism or Alchemy score. By this rule, there doesn't seem to be any way to create potions with effects above 6 MP (5 ranks max skill +1), despite there being an example of a 12 MP potion in the text. Furthermore, since enchanting "works like alchemy" it seems impossible to create magic items with more than 6 MP points worth of effects despite the cool example of the Emperor's Plate based on 20 MP worth of effects. What am I missing? Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're missing some careers which will increase that limit. They'll be appearing in a later playtest document!

DokDaka

First Post
good to know. I do seem to remember seeing a career that increases the MP for herbalism by 2 bringing the total to 8 max MP but that only makes a small dent in the problem. Any chance someone could post a rough version of the potential new careers?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As a rough idea, it's like this (bear in mind this isn't final):

The revised versions will have a tree with herbalist leading into alchemist. Alchemists will have the higher MP limits. The skill-based MP limit will be going away - it'll be (for example) 2 MP per rank in each tradition, with five ranks in each making for a total of 20 MP. That may change - it's a concept piece right now - but that's the overall approach.

There will also be blacksmiths. Blacksmiths can make weapons, alchemists can make powerful concoctions. Then either a blacksmith and an alchemist work together, or (less commonly, but certainly possible) an individual who has mastered both, to make magical weapons.

That's for the high-MP stuff, of course. For minor enchantments on weapons it's much easier. You could have a rank or two of blacksmith and one or two ranks of herbalist. But to be an expert making the very best stuff, you'd need to complete all three traditions.

There would also be another crafting tradition for other types of object, but I really haven't delved into that yet.

Khaalis

Adventurer
More awesome sauce. Thus creating the necessity for serious Trade/Crafting Guilds. I also like removing "skills" as a link. With the current restriction on "Skill Ranks" it wil make it a lot harder to use skills as a basis of restriction on anything else in the game that is meant to have a decent proportion of advancement (such as the Crafting abilities).

Remove ads