D&D 5E Question thread for 25/4 Q&A with the D&D R&D

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well we know a Q&A with the R&D for Next will be held tomorrow at 11 AM PST. Since many of us won't be available at that time. What kind of questions and doubts do you have that you wish someone else would ask for you? What questions would you ask if you had the chance?

Me, I think I would ask about the fate of the Aasimar for the edition. (Devas were awesome on their own, but they fill a very different niche and aren't really the same. Kalashtar came closer to it), and if they still plan on keeping the favored soul as a sorcerer subclass as we were told long ago. Also would like to ask if they are still keen on keeping score prerrequisites for Multiclassing, since as they currently are they make nothing to truly prevent abuse while preventing legitimate and reasonable uses (like organic character growth, for a non-planner a 13 is tad too high, for an optimizer is too low).

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
The obvious really:
When? Where? How much money? Available at GenCon? What books come after?

Unless they are announcing it in this Q&A, highly unlikely but stranger things than that have happened those question will be a wast of time, so let's try to avoid making this thread about when WotC is going to announce the release schedule for the next edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

I think this thread is an excellent idea, let us all post a couple of questions and make it the semi official questions thread, I'll tweet this thread for Trevor so he could pick up question from here.

Please write your questions in the form of a question so Trevor will have an easy time finding them.

3 questions:

1. With Tyrany of Dragons being centered around dragons can you tell us more about how dragons are shaping up in the game? Will all dragons be legendary creatures or will we have non-legendary ones as well?

2. Another one about ToD, could we get an overview of the event, will it be a "Realm Shaking Event"™ or a regular one? And how will the adventure be? A big sandbox with events like MoBG? Something more structured like LotCS? Or something more like SotSC?

3. How complete are the rules?

Warder

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My main questions:

1. Out of the box, how complex and-or rules-heavy will the basic no-added-options version of 5e be compared with previous editions' (0-1-2-3-4) initial core releases?

1a. Corollary question: if the basic version is any more complex than 0e or 1e, are guidelines given for how to strip 5e down to that level of rules-lite-ness?

2. Can 5e stand up to a 10-year campaign using very slow level advancement (a la 2e) without breaking?

3. How compatible will 5e be with material produced for each previous edition, and will two-way conversion guides be made available? (e.g. if I want to run a 1e adventure or use a 2e setting with 5e how much of a headache will it cause)

4. For those as likes their 3e and-or 4e, will there be pre-fab option kits to easily make 5e feel and play like those editions?

5. Will the various tack-on options truly work independently of each other, such that the game remains fully playable and functional no matter what combination of options I add to the base?

Lan-"and do the first 1000 purchasers get a coupon for a cookie?"-efan

Li Shenron

Legend
My first questions would be:

- how many of the modules seen in the last playtest packet will make it to the core game?

- how many subclasses per class, and how many races will make it to the core game?

- will you ever include a rule (or at least give an official suggestion) about how to change a spellcaster into using traditional vancian casting (i.e. daily slots = prepared spells) and stand up equal to a standard 5e spellcaster?

- {when shaking hands} are you a double agent?

delericho

Legend
Well we know a Q&A with the R&D for Next will be held tomorrow at 11 AM PST. Since many of us won't be available at that time. What kind of questions and doubts do you have that you wish someone else would ask for you? What questions would you ask if you had the chance?

What products are in the "core offering", when will they be coming out, and how much will they cost?

Will there be a 5e DDI, and what can we expect to see in it? A new Character Builder and Monster Builder? Revived eMags? Other tools? Anything else?

At one point they mentioned they were looking into the possibility of bringing Dragon and Dungeon back into print. Any update on that?

What are their plans for supporting the game going forward? Should we expect the usual set of splatbooks? A PHB2, PHB3, etc? Just settings and adventures? Something else? Or, indeed, nothing else?

Speaking of settings, is FR going to be the setting going forward, or will there be a 5e Eberron, Dark Sun, or others?

(And, yes, all of the above is very focussed on products. We've had a couple of years getting hints, playtests, and other information about the mechanics, so I feel I've seen enough to make an initial go/no-go decision. For me, the big uncertainties really are those products: what, when, and how much?)

1. What's being done to make this less popular Wizard School Specializations such as Abjuration, Divination and Transmutation more appealing to players?

2. With Wizards and Clerics having spells and Fighters having extra attacks and possibly manuevers, what do Rogues get (beyond sneak attack and skill Expertise) that stand in comparison to the other two?

3. How do the multiclass focused subclasses such as the Eldritch Knight work with other classes? Are they dependant on multiple classes, or can they be taken by themselves?

4. Do Rogues get D8 hit die? Do Bards get D8 hit die too? What about Monks, do they get d10 hit die if they've been grouped into the "warrior" category?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Unless they are announcing it in this Q&A, highly unlikely but stranger things than that have happened those question will be a wast of time, so let's try to avoid making this thread about when WotC is going to announce the release schedule for the next edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

I think this thread is an excellent idea, let us all post a couple of questions and make it the semi official questions thread, I'll tweet this thread for Trevor so he could pick up question from here.

Please write your questions in the form of a question so Trevor will have an easy time finding them.

3 questions:

1. With Tyrany of Dragons being centered around dragons can you tell us more about how dragons are shaping up in the game? Will all dragons be legendary creatures or will we have non-legendary ones as well?

2. Another one about ToD, could we get an overview of the event, will it be a "Realm Shaking Event"™ or a regular one? And how will the adventure be? A big sandbox with events like MoBG? Something more structured like LotCS? Or something more like SotSC?

3. How complete are the rules?

Warder

Ok, in form of question.

1. What are the plans for the Aasimar? Will they be playable on some form?

2. Back in the first year of playtest someone mentioned favored soul would be a sorcerer subclass, is this still true?

3. As of the last public playtest package multiclassing required heavy planning during character creation -in the form of ability score alocation-. Will there be a way to allow players who wish to multiclass and didn't plan for it to do so? Will my swashbuckling rogue with low strength allowed to become a swashbuckling paladin with equally low strenght?

What products are in the "core offering", when will they be coming out, and how much will they cost?

Will there be a 5e DDI, and what can we expect to see in it? A new Character Builder and Monster Builder? Revived eMags? Other tools? Anything else?

At one point they mentioned they were looking into the possibility of bringing Dragon and Dungeon back into print. Any update on that?

What are their plans for supporting the game going forward? Should we expect the usual set of splatbooks? A PHB2, PHB3, etc? Just settings and adventures? Something else? Or, indeed, nothing else?

Speaking of settings, is FR going to be the setting going forward, or will there be a 5e Eberron, Dark Sun, or others?

(And, yes, all of the above is very focussed on products. We've had a couple of years getting hints, playtests, and other information about the mechanics, so I feel I've seen enough to make an initial go/no-go decision. For me, the big uncertainties really are those products: what, when, and how much?)

I'm not sure if they will be answering product questions though,

Last edited:

Remove ads