Elder Scrolls Online

EricNoah

Adventurer
Anyone playing Elder Scrolls Online?

I tried the beta for about an hour a couple of months ago. I'm very glad I did because I ended up really, really not liking it. I was super curious about it, and I had hoped it would be my cup of tea, but it just did nothing for me. I'm not a MMORPG guy in general, and I was hoping that this would be more like just playing Oblivion or Skyrim but with lots of people running around.

Anyway, I was just curious if others had given it a try.

MarkB

Legend
I got invited to about four beta weekends, and each time I tried it, it felt like it had a lot of potential, but wasn't particularly good in practice. Combat difficulty was all over the place, quests were buggy and never seemed to get fixed, the user interface felt clunky compared to the other Elder Scrolls games, and the MMO angle just didn't feel like it added to the setting.

The fourth weekend, I just didn't bother to load up the game.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I am enjoying it.

It feels like playing an Elder Scrolls game, but there are other players running around I can interact with.

And thats all I need.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
The Beta also didn't suck me in. I was turned off by the whole "But Thou Must" vibe of the very opening. I just wanted to jump into my character and explore the world, but couldn't. After that first weekend, every time I got an invite to try again, I patched up the launcher but never mustered the motivation to load it up. I played Skyrim instead.

I've heard, however, that the play experience during the Beta (particularly the early Betas) varied wildly depending on which race & faction one chose, so it's possible that I just picked the wrong one for me. It seems like most of the people who don't like ESO were turned off during the Beta and the people who are enjoying it REALLY enjoy it.

Kaodi

Hero
I wish I could play. I have watched some Let's Plays though and only two things kind of worry me: the scale of the environments and some of the alliance versus alliance stuff. I mean, I suppose the scale is just because it is an MMO instead of a single player so the passages have to be abnormally large, but I preferred the scale of Skyrim. In terms of the alliance versus alliance fighting, something about it looks kind of... odd. That, and the maps it plays out on are not quite what I was expecting. I thought Cyrodiil was going to be a massive area literally wide open for the taking.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
It would have been OK if this was 2001. The non-instanced questing and the fact that you cannot team up across factions were huge turn-offs. About the only thing I really liked was the character creation section, which is at least detailed enough to be interesting.

Someone might be nostalgic for classics like 'I'm going to stand right where the boss spawns so he never will spawn' or 'race you to the rare crafting material spawn' but I'm not.

Remove ads