What is a photocopier?

Janx

Hero
Oh. My. God. This is hilarious ... and incredibly sad. When people talk about disdain for the legal system, this is the kind of stuff they're talking about. Er, at least some of the time.

that was funny. And as played, that IT guy was either especially obtuse or was coached to be that way.

Anybody in IT knows that Xerox is common parlance for photocopier, as Kleenex is to tissue paper. So much so, it's a point of discussion in technology classes.

Zombie_Babies

First Post

Zombie_Babies

First Post
that was funny. And as played, that IT guy was either especially obtuse or was coached to be that way.

Anybody in IT knows that Xerox is common parlance for photocopier, as Kleenex is to tissue paper. So much so, it's a point of discussion in technology classes.

Meh, he lawyered up and was probably given specific instructions even during the interview. It was CYA crap and that's where the funny dies and the sad begins.

WayneLigon

Adventurer

The problem being that 'Xerox' is still a trademarked term and one they've fought long and hard to prevent becoming diluted and 'genericised' (aka, Zipper, Aspirin, Escalator). Being an engineer and thus used to very precise language, the poor guy is probably unwilling to say to a lawyer that his office (like most) routinely abuses that word. He probably thought it would open him up to a lawsuit.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The problem being that 'Xerox' is still a trademarked term and one they've fought long and hard to prevent becoming diluted and 'genericised' (aka, Zipper, Aspirin, Escalator). Being an engineer and thus used to very precise language, the poor guy is probably unwilling to say to a lawyer that his office (like most) routinely abuses that word. He probably thought it would open him up to a lawsuit.

Mmmayybe. But I think the way he kept saying that he wanted to answer the question correctly suggested to me he had received some kind of CYA coaching.

Janx

Hero

then, ironically enough, photocopier was the correct generic term for the machine that reproduces content from paper to paper.

He was coached, or he was a moron. As acted, it emphasized the moron angle to my eye. But I bet in reality, he was coached because the core dispute was whether the office could or could not give out data, which some felt was being "abused" by certain data collection agencies, who ironically, wanted digital copies, not photo copies.

Remove ads