IC [DW] From the Outside

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hawthorne, priestess of Ushane

"Well, it's certainly a place for ghosts, or at least ghost stories. It is a place to set such a mood," Hawthorne says, peering through the foliage. "Though I would be more concerned that such a place is safe to stay in, in terms of not having rocks fall down on our heads from neglected repairs. Let us tread carefully."

Suiting words to action, Hawthorne will approach the castle slowly and cautiously, making certain of her footing and looking for any signs of habitation. Bandits could find an abandoned castle a good a shelter as any, and rumors of ghosts could serve to keep soldier away. That does not preclude real haunts, of course, but it was best to not focus on the spirit world so much you forgot mundane dangers!

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle shrugs. If the others don't want to take advantage of a little recon-questioning of the caravan then it's no skin off his nose. He is nothing if not adaptable.

Once at the keep, Trickle stands back and peruses its entrance. Not the most pleasant of locations, truly, but Slice had dragged him into worse. He nods agreement with Hawthorne's comment on the safety of the place, really only half listening as he did his study. When she starts forward Trickle startles out of his assessment. "Whoa! Hold up there, priestess. Please, let me precede you. Common I may be but I have a talent for finding danger. Some might say falling into it." He grins and advances cautiously as he studies the area for dangers.

[sblock=OOC]Trickle will spend a moment to survey a dangerous area: survey danger (2d6+2=7)
As he walks through to the entrance, spend his one hold to ask: 'Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?'

On rolls: doghead, I like to know my rolls before I post. The local roller makes it somewhat awkward, having to edit after posting the roll if the roll doesn't go as I expected. If you prefer me to use the local roller over invisible castle I will.[/sblock]
[sblock=Khirynnax & Trickle][sblock=Trickle][section]
Trickle
Human Thief (level 1; 1 xp)
Shifty Eyes, Cropped Hair, Fancy Clothes, Lithe Body

STR 9 DEX 16 (+2) CON 12 INT 15 (+1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 18 Current hp: 18

Alignment: Neutral: Avoid detection or infiltrate a location.

Gear: (Load 6/9) – Base Dmg: d8
Dagger (hand, 1 wt.) and Short sword (close, 1 wt.)
Ragged bow (near, 2 wt.) and bundle of arrows (3 ammo, 1 wt.)
Adventuring gear (1 wt.)
Bloodweed poison (touch, 3 uses): target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)
10+: hold 3
7-9: hold 1
Spend hold as you walk through area to ask questions:
  • Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
  • What does the trap do when activated?
  • What else is hidden here?
Tricks of the Trade: When you pick locks or disable traps, roll+Dex
10+: you do it, no problem
7-9: you do it, but GM offers two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
10+: choose two
7-9: choose one
  • You don’t get into melee with them
  • You deal your damage +1d6
  • You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
  • Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Backgrounds]
I stole something from Needles.
Slice has my back when something goes wrong.
*** knows incriminating details about me.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will teach Trickle the secret of Witch's Tears.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][sblock=Khirynnax][section]
Khirynnax Skinchanger, AKA Khir
Elven Druid (level 1; 0 xp)
Wild Eyes, Messy Hair, Practical Leathers

STR 15 (+1) DEX 12 CON 13 (+1) INT 9 WIS 16 (+2) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 19 Current hp: 19

Alignment: Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

Gear: (Load 3/7) – Base Dmg: d6
Token of the Mire: the Copper Coil, age-blackened armband in shape of snake
Hide armor (1 armor, 1 wt.)
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 wt.)
Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 wt.)

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Shapeshifter: When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+WIS.
10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Bonds and Background]
*** smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Slice.
I have showed Needles a secret rite of the land.
*** has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will reveal a secret of the fae's primordial essence.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
Tristan is thinking the same as Hawthorne and he says so. "The disreputable oft shelter in sites abandoned." He pulls his padded hood and coif of chain over his head and draws his refurbished weapon. He advances toward the entrance of the structure, letting Trickle keep ahead of him to scout for dangers.

[sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin
Looks Glowing Eyes, Helmeted, Worn Holy Symbol, Bulky Body
Alignment Lawful: Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever

Maximum Health 25 Current Health 25 Armor 3 Base Damage 1d10
STR 16 (+2) CON 15 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) INT 12 (+0) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 9 (+0)

Gear (Load 6/28)
Long Sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
Scale Armor (+2 armor, 3 weight)
Medallion of Our Virgin Mother the Lady of Tranquility (0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 weight)​

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
Tristan's quest is to slay the monster, a great blight on the land.
His boons are
Invulnerability to bite damage, and
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep
His vow is one of
Valor - Forbidden: Allowing an innocent creature to suffer[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day 6, around midday, outside Castle Brockendale

Suiting words to action, Hawthorne will approach the castle slowly and cautiously, making certain of her footing and looking for any signs of habitation. Bandits could find an abandoned castle a good a shelter as any, and rumors of ghosts could serve to keep soldier away. That does not preclude real haunts, of course, but it was best to not focus on the spirit world so much you forgot mundane dangers!

You don't see any signs of human inhabitation. You do note several means of access; through the Gatehouse, over the ruined wall, and up and over using one of the trees growing alongside the wall.

[sblock=OOC]Bandits, Ghosts, Monsters. Delicious! Sounds like a Discern Realities move to me. 2d6+WIS.[/sblock]

"Whoa! Hold up there, priestess. Please, let me precede you. Common I may be but I have a talent for finding danger. Some might say falling into it." He grins and advances cautiously as he studies the area for dangers.

Trickle moves cautiously forward into the gloom of gatehouse.

[sblock=OOC]Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?'

Spiders, big spiders, lurk in the dark shadows, waiting for the gentle tug on their web that announces that dinner has arrived. Watch for strands of web strung across the your path.

On rolls: you can use invisible castle, roll 'dem bones on the table, use a dice roller app. I don't require a link to a result.[/sblock]

Tristan is thinking the same as Hawthorne and he says so. "The disreputable oft shelter in sites abandoned." He pulls his padded hood and coif of chain over his head and draws his refurbished weapon. He advances toward the entrance of the structure, letting Trickle keep ahead of him to scout for dangers.

Once more in his hands, the reforged and refurbished sword feels both new and familiar. The blacksmith at Hengistead knows his craft.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter

Hawthorne points at the gatehouse as an entrance, not really wanting to clamber over a fallen wall or up a tree. She's a priestess, not an acrobat!

"There, perhaps, assuming no villain awaits. I'd rather not climb, if it's all the same to you," she says softly to the others, not wanting to disrupt Trickle's investigation. He seemed eager to do his part.

[sblock=OOC]Roll of 6, plus Wis of +2 for a total of 8[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle throws his arms out palms down and facing somewhat behind him in an effort to halt the others. If he were alone he might try to slip through the gatehouse undetected but with the others there was little chance of it. He quickly runs through some options discarding retreating for a reasoned discussion of their options, along with several others, before finally settling on one.

He whispers a quick warning over his shoulder. "Spiders, and not the little fuzzy kind you can handle with a casual stomp. Big, and nasty. If I scream, come running."

Trickle slinks forward drawing his dagger and shortsword as he moves into the gloom. Half of his attention is on the looming mass of spiders overhead, the other half looks for the strands of webbing that would alert them to his presence. When he comes across the first he carefully places his blade against the strand. He pauses as waits to see if that slight touch alerted the spiders. And when it seems to have gone unnoticed he draws the sharp blade through the strand severing it.

Khirynnax, having been in a rearguard position, comes up as Trickle heads into the gatehouse. He gives Hawthorne and Tristan an incredulous look. "Don't tell me he convinced you to let him go in first."

[sblock=OOC]Trickle uses his Tricks of the Trade to try to nullify the spiders web trap. Of course, doing so he'll probably set it off. But, hey, that's the fun, isn't it? 2d6+2=9
9: Of the three options, my first choice would be suspicion; second choice: danger.[/sblock]
Trickle

Adventuring gear (1 wt.)

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will teach Trickle the secret of Witch's Tears.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will reveal a secret of the fae's primordial essence.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​

TillForPie

First Post
Tristan halts lest the jangle of his chain and the scrape of his scales give Trickle away. He lifts the upper lip of his shield to his chin, sword poised to strike at any emerging spiders.

[sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin
Looks Glowing Eyes, Helmeted, Worn Holy Symbol, Bulky Body
Alignment Lawful: Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever

Maximum Health 25 Current Health 25 Armor 3 Base Damage 1d10
STR 16 (+2) CON 15 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) INT 12 (+0) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 9 (+0)

Gear (Load 6/28)
Long Sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
Scale Armor (+2 armor, 3 weight)
Medallion of Our Virgin Mother the Lady of Tranquility (0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 weight)​

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
Tristan's quest is to slay the monster, a great blight on the land.
His boons are
Invulnerability to bite damage, and
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep
His vow is one of
Valor - Forbidden: Allowing an innocent creature to suffer[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day 6, around midday, at the gatehouse of Castle Brockendale.

"There, perhaps, assuming no villain awaits. I'd rather not climb, if it's all the same to you," she says softly to the others, not wanting to disrupt Trickle's investigation. He seemed eager to do his part.

Hawthorne considers the alternatives while Trickle proceeds into the gloom of the gatehouse entrance.

[sblock=OOC]Roll of 6, plus Wis of +2 for a total of 8

A Discern Realities result of 8 gives you the choice of one question from the following list:

What happened here recently? • What is about to happen? • What should I be on the lookout for? • What here is useful or valuable to me? • Who’s really in control here? • What here is not what it appears to be?

You get an honest answer, and get to take +1 forward when acting on the answer.[/sblock]

Trickle slinks forward drawing his dagger and shortsword as he moves into the gloom. Half of his attention is on the looming mass of spiders overhead, the other half looks for the strands of webbing that would alert them to his presence. When he comes across the first he carefully places his blade against the strand. He pauses as waits to see if that slight touch alerted the spiders. And when it seems to have gone unnoticed he draws the sharp blade through the strand severing it.

For a moment there is nothing, then slowly out of the shadows and the cobwebs that cloak the ceiling Trickle see two spiders emerge. They are the size of dogs, with a span of about 6 feet when you account for their legs. They move slowly, pausing often, legs reaching out feel this strand, then that, as if searching for further signs of dinner.

[sblock=OOC]Trickle uses his Tricks of the Trade to try to nullify the spiders web trap. Of course, doing so he'll probably set it off. But, hey, that's the fun, isn't it? 2d6+2=9
9: Of the three options, my first choice would be suspicion; second choice: danger.

Ahhh! Suspicion? Danger? I have no idea what to do with that. Come back PF, all is forgiven.

Ok, I will run with suspicion - You have deactivated the trap by cutting the webs but the spiders have been alerted to your presence! A successful Defy Danger move will get you through the tunnel safely, either through to the other side or back to where your companions wait. [/sblock]

Tillian watches as the drama unfolds in the gateway passage. He is but a few strides from Trickle, but leaping forward now will certainly alert the spiders to their presence.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter

Hawthorne holds her breath, as the spiders don't quite seem to know they're here yet, and she would hate to warn them.

[sblock=OOC]Hawthorne would like to know who's really in charge around here?[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle freezes; every muscle held perfectly tensed, unmoving yet ready for action. The spiders' slow movement and cautious pluckings is a sure sign to him that the vermin are aware of something not right but it doesn't look like they know for certain where he lurks. He holds himself steady, waiting, waiting for them to get just close enough that he can burst into action. Inwardly, he is amused that he is turning the tables on the spiders, twisting their own webs against them. If it works.

When one gets close enough he leaps forward his sword blade blurring as he severs a leg with a brutal chop and thrusts his dagger into the spider's abdomen.

[sblock=OOC]Ok, I'm not entirely sure which would be the most appropriate mode to defy danger in this situation given his desire to stay put and set himself up for a backstab. I kinda think that it would require mental fortitude to avoid bolting in fear so I'll roll +Wis (unless you decree otherwise). 2d6+1=10 Whew!

Backstab!: I think this should work since the spiders are only suspicious at this time and hopefully qualify for surprised or defenseless as Trickle leaps out. 2d6+2=14 At least, I'll pray that it is valid since that is such an awesome roll. If ok, I'll choose 'deal damage +1d6' 1d8+1d6=10 and 'create advantage, +1 forward to you or ally acting on it'. With allies outside and ready to act I'd prefer the advantage go to one of Trickle's allies. If it is necessary to specify: Tristan.[/sblock]
Trickle

Adventuring gear (1 wt.)

[/sblock]​

[sblock=Druid Moves]

10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2

[/sblock]

[/sblock]​

Remove ads