I'm not sure how I feel about this one

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Draft for prom.

Apparently boys at this high school have created a draft to find prom dates. You buy a ticket, somehow a draft order is set and then the boys 'draft' their date. To me, this implies that the girls are complicit for whatever reason. I mean, how else do you guarantee value for your purchase? If the girls are into it, then I don't see a huge problem.

The concern expressed is one of objectification - and that's sorta fair. The issue with that concern, however, is that this draft doesn't have a whole lot to do with any objectification. You see, I was once a high school aged lad and I can recall what drove me to choose a potential date. It, uhh, wasn't her personality. Basically, all this draft does is decide who gets to objectify a girl first. It isn't adding any objectification that wasn't there already. There's a reason a handful of girls are the most popular with the boys and, well, it ain't their brains. Objectification from both sides is common in that hormone ravaged, experience-lite age group.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Common, but not the only thing that goes on.

You can argue that this creates an institution that sanctions objectification and that is a bad signal to give for these future adults.

Draft for prom.

Apparently boys at this high school have created a draft to find prom dates. You buy a ticket, somehow a draft order is set and then the boys 'draft' their date. To me, this implies that the girls are complicit for whatever reason. I mean, how else do you guarantee value for your purchase? If the girls are into it, then I don't see a huge problem.

The concern expressed is one of objectification - and that's sorta fair. The issue with that concern, however, is that this draft doesn't have a whole lot to do with any objectification. You see, I was once a high school aged lad and I can recall what drove me to choose a potential date. It, uhh, wasn't her personality. Basically, all this draft does is decide who gets to objectify a girl first. It isn't adding any objectification that wasn't there already. There's a reason a handful of girls are the most popular with the boys and, well, it ain't their brains. Objectification from both sides is common in that hormone ravaged, experience-lite age group.
So let me get this straight. You're not sure how you feel about something you have a problem with
which you don't really see as a problem? Wikileaks Task Force, dude. You need to stop drinking in the middle of the day.

That said, who cares? If the girls are in it because they want to be in it, whatever. However, that doesn't appear to be clear from the article. Maybe the guys just get to draft who they get to ask. That doesn't necessarily guarantee that the girl is going to accept. Even if the girls agreed that they would go with whomever drafted them, there is still no guarantee that the guys would be getting anything at the end of the night... or during the night. Yeah, you get to take the hot girl to prom, but she can still leave you there.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
"Dude, Prom Sucks."

So long as all parties are willing, who cares.
If the girls are being treated like party-favors against the will, then yeah, there's a problem.

But heck, remember about 5-10 years ago when a bunch of high-school girls got together for pregnancy pacts? Guys were just objects for their use. Maybe they passed a couple around back and forth. Was that wrong? Well, for the guys, if they weren't told what they were being used for, yes. For the Girls? Well, it was probably a pretty dumb thing to do...

biotech66

Explorer
So glad I didn't go to prom. This is some of the stupidest stuff I've seen ,and, I lived through the 80s!

/married with a PhD
//hated high school

Remove ads