Computer becomes first to pass Turing Test

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can only dream...

Still, it only had to convince 1/3 of the people it interacted with that it was human. I'm not sure how scary that is.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
And that it was a 13 year old kid ... which is kinda how it passed in the first place. By design, they planted an unreliable source to correspond. 13 year old boys say some goofy schtuff, yanno, and that gave them the amount of doubt they needed. Brilliant tactic but also telling in that it only worked so relatively rarely.

Janx

Hero
And that it was a 13 year old kid ... which is kinda how it passed in the first place. By design, they planted an unreliable source to correspond. 13 year old boys say some goofy schtuff, yanno, and that gave them the amount of doubt they needed. Brilliant tactic but also telling in that it only worked so relatively rarely.

yeah, that was kind of lame. I don't think Turing meant to spend 5 minutes deciding if a twit on the internet was a troll or a bot.

I think the spirit of his intent was that an adult talking to an adult on the other end of a chat box couldn't tell the difference due to the sophistication and behavior of the chat bot.

Bear in mind, his idea came before "computers" as we think of them existed. Eliza, Dr. Sbaitzo, or even online chatting didn't exist yet. So the ease of developing a program that responds to entered dialog wasn't obvious at the time.

For this Eugene Goostman, the online version fails at:
where are you from?
Ukraine
Oh, I'm from Ukraine.
I've never been there.

I think if Turing were conducting the AI test, his 5 minute conversation would be testing for memory, consistency and abstract problem solving, such as being able to follow a syllogism or complete an analogy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think if Turing were conducting the AI test, his 5 minute conversation would be testing for memory, consistency and abstract problem solving, such as being able to follow a syllogism or complete an analogy.

Agreed. I don't think he felt the test would be limited to casual conversation.

Remove ads