• Original Character & rig

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Shut up and do something

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Poll closed .

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
A question about the dreadnaught class . . . . the third warp n'cell:

What is its purpose? more power generation to provide greater shields, phasers with more punch?

sabrinathecat

Explorer

What is its purpose? more power generation to provide greater shields, phasers with more punch?

So the saucer section could have warp power if it separated? Longer endurance/patrol time? Just having more power generally available? All of the above and more? I just copied the design from the 1977 Star Fleet Technical Manual and Star Fleet Battles strategy game. (I think SFB copied from the SFTM too)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
No, but Google is sometimes your friend (when they aren't spying on you).
There was an old novel titled Dreadnaught about the first Federation Dreadnaught and had some comments on the 3-engine design, but I didn't read that one. Reading the synopsis, it sounds like the basic script for Into Darkness.

According to Memory Alpha wiki: "unique third nacelle was mounted to its primary, not engineering, hull – above the saucer's interconnecting dorsal. The extra nacelle allowed the vessel to go twice as fast as Enterprise but only for a limited period of time." This seems strange, and "Warp 9" was held to be the fastest any ship could travel until Next Gen technology. Also, conflicting information about whether or not TransWarp experiment of the Excelsior NX2000 worked or not. Some say yes it did, and they changed the scale. Next Gen Tech manual said that after TransWarp, there was Ultra Warp, which was another magnitude improvement, and they adjusted the scale again.
Eh.
Decide for yourself how geeky you want to be with this stuff.

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I read somewhere (but forget the source) that Gene Roddenberry forbid ships with an odd number of nacelles while he was in charge.

Yes, but then he later accepted designs that were odd-numbered, and even some that were asymmetrical. (next gen era)
As with lots of trek, there are inconsistencies and geeky arguments to resolve them.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

. . . . . more power generation to provide greater shields, phasers with more punch

So the saucer section could have warp power if it separated? Longer endurance/patrol time? Just having more power generally available? All of the above and more?

I like all of the above explanations!

Janx

Hero
So the saucer section could have warp power if it separated? Longer endurance/patrol time? Just having more power generally available? All of the above and more? I just copied the design from the 1977 Star Fleet Technical Manual and Star Fleet Battles strategy game. (I think SFB copied from the SFTM too)

I would have assumed a larger ship would have required a larger warp field and that the model of nacelles used didn't provide enough with just 2 nacelles.

Remove ads