D&D 5E Crossbow confusion

Okay, I feel like there's got to be an obvious answer here and I'm just blindly missing it. But...

What's the point (so to speak) of the hand crossbow in this edition?

I mean, I get the idea of the small, concealed crossbow for rogues and the like. My problem isn't conceptual, but in execution.

It's worse in all respects than the light crossbow, is only two pounds lighter, and is martial rather than simple. The only detail that justifies it is the fact that it's a light weapon. But...

The two-weapon fighting rules are very, very clear about applying to melee weapons only. They make an exception for thrown weapons, but not others.

So if we're not allowed to double-fist crossbows (Boo! :mad: ) and there's no real mechanical benefit to the slightly smaller hand crossbow, is it martial and more expensive purely for flavor reasons? I'm okay if that's the case, it just doesn't feel "complete" to me, like I'm missing something grossly obvious. :eek:

ETA: I get that the light crossbow is two-handed and the hand crossbow isn't. I'm just not sure that really matters, in the scheme of things--except, as I said, for flavor. Most rogues aren't carrying shields or lanterns.

jadrax

Adventurer
I suspect your missing things that have not been released yet. Certainly the leaked Alpha document had a feat that considerably beefed up Hand Crossbows.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Two possibilities:

1. today's L&L included mention of a crossbow feat that will apply (I expect) to hand crossbows.
2. I fully expect the Drow sub race to be granted weapon proficiency in hand crossbows, which means that it an become a weapon for drow clerics, wizards, rogues, etc. without needing additional character investment.

Enkhidu

Explorer
How would the one-handed hand crossbow interact with the action economy in comparison to a light crossbow? I am envisioning a single sword + hand crossbow fighter (a la the iconic drow) here - does this style improve when using a single-handed crossbow as opposed to light crossbows?

Well, in terms of it possibly being given to drow, they could as easily have gone with the light crossbow for that. But...

Sword and crossbow? The hand crossbow does make it a bit easier, since you can have both weapons drawn at once, and don't need to worry about changing up. But given that drawing a weapon doesn't take an action, I'm not sure how often that'll make a huge difference.

If you're a fighter type, I suppose that--once you get multiple attacks per action--you could take some sword and some crossbow. But that seems oddly specific, and it doesn't help the rogue, who's most known for the hand crossbow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's zero difference. I just don't think (given what we know, anyway) that it adds up to being worth it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I suspect your missing things that have not been released yet. Certainly the leaked Alpha document had a feat that considerably beefed up Hand Crossbows.

I suspect as much as well. Otherwise, what's the point of designating it a light weapon in the first place?

jgsugden

Legend
They're giving us the first set of materials - but there will be many other sets of materials that capitalize and build upon what we currently will be receiving. A lot of design decisions are going to be there to facilitate things in the future, and may not have a current benefit or utility. In other words, just because something doesn't make sense with the stuff about to be released does not mean it won't make sense once we have future planned materials...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

....kind of a failure in Basic then. We're not supposed to have to use the PHB with this thing.

I'd just extend Two-Weapon Fighting to apply to any light weapon. It's the only light ranged weapon. I don't see any reason why it SHOULDN'T be that.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Got to think there is some rules that have yet to be released, as this should/could apply to guns at some time, just to build your pirates and musketeers.

Remove ads