D&D 5E Making a 5E invoker

Let's speculate: how would you make an invoker in 5E?

(Houserule: First person who posts about what's in the alpha playtest loses the thread.)

[Rant]You want to speculate about the trajectory of a game while ignoring it's most recent position?[/rant]

Seems like you'd need a cleric with a modified spell list

I would try to balance adding some nukes from the wizard spell list against the domain spells/features. Basically make invoker a subclass of wizard. It might require some homebrew features, too.

This is a very homebrew oriented solution, is that the sort of thing you're after or are you just looking for a build?

Because if you want to use raw you could reskin a wizard and take the acolyte background

fba827

Adventurer
The first question to ask is what are the core things that define the invoker.

But because I'm tired I'll leave this more general and say, a subclass of warlock has possibilities but might require the most work.
I tend to opt for simplicity, so if it were me I'd do cleric with particular domain spells.
The last public play test had a 'light' domain that is fairly radiant and fire focused.
, that domain is listed on the recent wotc listing if subclasses in the phb, but unknown if it's still in the same form or not as the public play test.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I always read the Invoker as being the person who is infused with his or her god's essence, rather than is granted the divine power from the god. The Invoker seemed to me as the 4E version of the Favored Soul. Thus, I personally would probably see the Invoker as a Sorcerer subclass more than anything else, since the sorcerer defines "infused with magic". But rather than a draconic bloodline, you'd have a divine bloodline instead.

As I don't have the PH yet, I couldn't say what kind of adaptation of the draconic sorcerer's features you'd need to modify... but at least in terms of spells, you might be able to just use the Sorcerer's spellcasting mechanics with the Cleric's spell list.

I would try to balance adding some nukes from the wizard spell list against the domain spells/features. Basically make invoker a subclass of wizard. It might require some homebrew features, too.

This is a very homebrew oriented solution, is that the sort of thing you're after or are you just looking for a build?

Because if you want to use raw you could reskin a wizard and take the acolyte background
I'm not looking to actually make an invoker character my my game, I'm just curious as an invoker fan. This is more of a thought exercise. Great suggestion!

I meant make invoker a subclass of cleric *
The 4E invoker was mechanically almost identical to the wizard, despite sharing a theme with the cleric, so I can see both as strong choices!

gyor

Legend
Just using basic, I'd say High Elf Cleric with Ray of Frost Cantrip, high wis and intelligence, focusing on spells like hold person, command, spirit guardians, and other controllish Cleric spells.

Remove ads