Can you separate an author from his or her work?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At various points in his life he sounded more racist than was the norm at that time.

Um... 1890s. American South? Jim Crow laws? Lynchings? I think the norm was not very un-racist at all. He was born only 25 years after the 13th Amendment passed!

Elf Witch

First Post
Kids are sponges and can pick up stuff in unexpected places. People can also convince themselves of false memories. Farrow can just be a supporting mother to a child who was lying or deluded itself.

The truth is we have no clue what happened and are in no position to take a side.

Okay, so how about stuff she edited? MZB was for many years editor of a fantasy magazine that gave voice to loads of good new authors - do we boycott those works too, since she touched them? Would doing so be fair to the authors who worked with her, who had no idea what was going on at the time?

And how about this - the publisher of MZB's digital backlist is donating all income from sales of her works to Save the Children. Going forwards, sales of her ebooks are *helping* kids. The author who is continuing to write in MZB's Darkover universe is similarly donating proceeds to charity.

Hypothetical: What if the proceeds from those works were going to her estate, and her heirs included those who accuse her of abuse? Boycotting her works would then be taking financial support from those she allegedly harmed.

These things are often not simple.

The man was also born in 1890 - he was born, lived his life, and died before what we now think of as the civil rights movement started. You have to work a bit to find authors (or even just people) from that time who *weren't* racist (or sexist) by today's standards. I think we should give thanks to those who are ahead of the curve, but it is hard to fault someone for failing to be ahead of his or her time.

There is a point where we are no longer avoiding support of a repugnant person's ideals, and stepping into whitewashing history - in the "those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it" sense. What's better - to avoid the work and forget, or read it and remember?

We can then also apply that thought to Card. What's better - to not support his work, or to read it and use it as a teaching/learning opportunity?

Er. Fact? "Innocent until proven guilty," is a pretty important cornerstone of our justice system. It isn't perfect, but the known alternatives are worse. So, I don't think it is washing away anything to stick by that, recognize how little we in the public at large know as fact about what really happened, and acknowledge there are other possibilities. Folks may frequently state that position poorly, but not accepting the abuse as "fact" should still be okay.

To be clear - I don't think I've seen a Woody Allen movie in decades. I really don't care about the guy one way or the other. I've read little, if any, of MZB's work. I speak here only in terms of the ethics - MZB and Allen are accused, but not convicted. It is not unethical to treat them as if they were not guilty.

In this case "fact" of abuse that Elf Witch is referring to is that either Dylan was molested by Allen... OR she was manipulated into believing so by Farrow - which would also be abusive. The poor kid is in a no-win situation here - she was abused by someone it's just the nature of the abuse and the perpetrator that are in dispute. But even asserting his innocence (and even if he IS innocent), Allen fighting for custody of a girl saying she was molested by him to save her from Farrow's manipulations (if that's what was occurring), would probably have been severely traumatic to the girl as well. There's no winning in that situation either. It was a mess no matter how you looked at it and I wouldn't blame even an innocent Allen from backing away from that particular conflict.

No argument that it was a mess. No argument that the kids went through something awful.

But, in a thread that's talking about what an individual consumer should do about such things, questions of guilt and innocence become pretty important. My point isn't really about Allen and Farrow, or MZB - they re merely the examples at hand. The point is about how we are based on, "innocent until proven guilty," in general.

I say this because I have, in the past, seen fan turn upon fan for not finding someone guilty in the court of public opinion.

In cases of false accusations of child abuse what has been found is that they child has been manipulated by an adult this can be done accidentally as in the case of the Martin preschool case by the very therapists meant to try and get to the truth or quite deliberately.

In the case of Dylan Farrow it went to the police and to experts who felt that the child may have been manipulated by her mother to get her to make a false statement of abuse. As an adult Dylan has maintained she was abused and spent many years in therapy. She has a diagnosis of PTSD now because of the circumstances it is hard to say what happened but we can say without a doubt that Dylan Farrow was abused either sexually or emotionally as a child. She has been called a liar and maligned in a horrible fashion by Allen's fans and I think that is wrong.

As for the cop out that walking away was better for Dylan oh please what a load of hogwash. It was easier for Allen who has admitted he does not like dealing with conflict. When you have a child you take on a responsibility for that child's well being both physically and emotionally. If he is innocent of sexually abusing her then he knew that Mia had done since she was the one that tapped the girls' testimony. Yes custody cases are traumatic for the child but you know what else is traumatic leaving a child with a parent who is abusing them in some way. If Allen had man up to his responsibility as a father he could have fought for at least shared custody and fought for a court order of mandatory family and individual therapy for his children. Yeah it would have been emotionally draining for everyone involved but it would have been better than basically abandoning your child.

These things are not simple and I can understand not wanting to read her books but I can't understand some of the backlash against things she edited those writers had no complicity in the abuse except for one Elisabeth Waters knew about it and did nothing and she is the heir of MZB estate. I am not sure how much she gets from the new books being written in the Darkover universe by new authors.

Innocent until proven guilty is certainly a wonderful concept and one I try and live by. I have watched people jump in the bandwagon to convict a person of wrong doing without having heard the other side of the story or not having all the facts. But I also know we may not always have clear cut facts to make a judgement. Then we just have to go with what we think is right. As a victim of abuse and dealing with the issue of some people in my family not being able to deal with it so instead would rather think I was lying or had some false memory I tend to lean in the direction of giving the benefit of the doubt to the person claiming abuse. I am sure a person who was falsely accused of abuse would lean the other way. I know I would never want to sit on a jury of a case of child abuse because I would be worried my experiences would color my ability to be objective and a juror must strive for objectivity.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
In cases of false accusations of child abuse what has been found is that they child has been manipulated by an adult this can be done accidentally as in the case of the Martin preschool case by the very therapists meant to try and get to the truth or quite deliberately.
Not every false accusation by a child comes from manipulation.

In the case of Dylan Farrow it went to the police and to experts who felt that the child may have been manipulated by her mother to get her to make a false statement of abuse. As an adult Dylan has maintained she was abused and spent many years in therapy. She has a diagnosis of PTSD now because of the circumstances it is hard to say what happened but we can say without a doubt that Dylan Farrow was abused either sexually or emotionally as a child. She has been called a liar and maligned in a horrible fashion by Allen's fans and I think that is wrong.
Actually, I can have doubt that she wasn't abuse by anyone. People can do amazing things to themselves without outside help. The only reproche I could make about Farrow is that feed and fostered these emotions and false memories Dylon had. But I'm not even sure that is the case.

All I know is that we do not know what happened.

Elf Witch

First Post
Not every false accusation by a child comes from manipulation.

Actually, I can have doubt that she wasn't abuse by anyone. People can do amazing things to themselves without outside help. The only reproche I could make about Farrow is that feed and fostered these emotions and false memories Dylon had. But I'm not even sure that is the case.

All I know is that we do not know what happened.

Then please tell me how a seven year old knows what sexual abuse is and can describe acts that they would have no knowledge about? Children are not sexual creatures at that young age and don't know how sex works unless it happens to them or they are told.

In the McMartin case the therapist used dolls and ended up leading the kids with them by putting words in the kids mouths. They thought they were doing the right thing. In Dylan Farrow case she described acts of a abuse taped by her mother before she ever saw an therapist.

I would like to point out that this happened in 1993 that was before the internet so it is not like the child could look this kind of thing up. And the sexual acts she described was not something any seven year old could come up with. Some of the experts thought she had been couched some thought she had been abused but not one thought that this child was making it up on her own.

The State of Connecticut found probable cause to bring charges but decided because of the fragility of the child not to follow through and since Allen did not fight for custody Mia Farrow chose not to to push for criminal prosecution.

You are right that we can't know what happened and that has been used so many times to silence victims when they finally speak up. I can't say how Dylan was abused but I know she was because seven year old's can't make up a story like she did on her own and she has every symptom of a child who went through some kind of abuse from the eating disorders, cutting, to the suicide attempts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

This is not a court of law. Few of us on EN World are mental health professionals, and none of us have spoken to the principles in the case. Please to not try the case of Woody Allen and/or Mia Farrow here. Agree to disagree, please. Thanks much.

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
No, I cannot separate an author from their works. I would not be comfortable in keeping a book in my home if it was written by an author whom I felt was.......morally suspect.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, are you proactive? Do you actually do any biographical research to find out if any of the stuff in your house was made by people of less than stellar histories? Or do you only take action when you find out about it?

I'm not proactive. But as I said earlier, I can and do separate author from work. Which is good for me as a music nut, since- if I couldn't- I'd have to get rid of my Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, James Brown, The Who and a whole bunch of other stuff...

Nellisir

Hero
To skip over this entire thread...it varies, but not in general I don't bother. If I find someone disturbing enough for it to be an issue, I don't want to be reminded of them or go through long justifications.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Then please tell me how a seven year old knows what sexual abuse is and can describe acts that they would have no knowledge about?
TV, friends, school yard, listening to adults talking, etc. What she said wasn't very complicated. He put fingers in me.

Children are not sexual creatures at that young age and don't know how sex works unless it happens to them or they are told.
We like to think that, but reality is far ore complexe. You even have kids who are sexual predators at that age, kids who were not abused by anyone.

I remember I was already masturbating at that age and already played doctor with my neighborette.

In the McMartin case the therapist used dolls and ended up leading the kids with them by putting words in the kids mouths. They thought they were doing the right thing.
Different case. Doesn't mean much.

In Dylan Farrow case she described acts of a abuse taped by her mother before she ever saw an therapist.
Kids can hear that fingers can go into vaginas at that age from a lot of places.

I would like to point out that this happened in 1993 that was before the internet so it is not like the child could look this kind of thing up.
False accusation existed before the internet.

And the sexual acts she described was not something any seven year old could come up with.
You'd be surprised.

Some of the experts thought she had been couched some thought she had been abused but not one thought that this child was making it up on her own.
And some said there wasn't enough evidence against Allen. That means they believed the kid, but lack other evidence to charge him.

In the end, no one knows what happened.

The State of Connecticut found probable cause to bring charges but decided because of the fragility of the child not to follow through and since Allen did not fight for custody Mia Farrow chose not to to push for criminal prosecution.
Not true.

You are right that we can't know what happened and that has been used so many times to silence victims when they finally speak up.
I didn't say she should shut up. I said I'm not sure why we are talking abut Allen in this thread. I said that to Danny.

I can't say how Dylan was abused but I know she was because seven year old's can't make up a story like she did on her own
They can. Kids are smarter than we think they are.

and she has every symptom of a child who went through some kind of abuse from the eating disorders, cutting, to the suicide attempts.
I'm not a professional and I never had sessions with her, so I won't make a diagnostic.

Remove ads