D&D 5E [LMoP] My Players just cakewalked through Part 1 (Spoilers)

Wolfskin

Explorer
I'm running the Starter Set adventure with six players (five of them are using the pregens and one a Human Wizard who is really not much of a combatant) and so far they're having an easy time with every encounter up to Redbrands Hideout (which they'll assault next session). I've read about the adventure being quite lethal and people ragequitting the game after being TPKed by goblins on the first encounter, so I'm at a loss to know if I'm doing something wrong as the DM or they are playing really smart and/or having a lot of luck.

This is an example of how combat went for the first encounter:
The Rogue and the Archer Fighter were patrolling the area way ahead of the party. The Rogue spotted a goblin in the bushes and signaled to the Archer, who positioned himself at a safe distance to shot with his longbow the first goblin that came out of the briars, then went back to inform the rest of the group.
The Noble Fighter and Cleric advanced to a safe distance, staying just out of sight at the turn of the road and ready to Dash. The Elf Mage casted Mage Armor on himself and acted as a bait. Two goblins came out of hiding and shot him, but he casted Shield as a reaction and both attacks failed. Then the Rogue and Archer snipped the two goblin archers, one of whom was wiped instantly (the Rogue failed her attack).
Three more goblins jumped on the Wizard when the Cleric and Fighter rushed to his defense to make themselves into their targets, but only the Fighter was mildly damaged by one of them. Next turn the Rogue was ambushed by the goblin she failed to kill and was damaged, but again the goblin mildly damaged her, and the Human Wizard (who until this moment stayed guarding the supplies) Frosted him with a superb damage roll. The Cleric obliterated his first opponent using Inflict Wounds, and then both Fighters made a quick work of the two remaining goblins in the next two rounds (one was knocked unconscious instead of killed to lead the way).

Most combats went like this, with the Rogue scouting ahead and noticing most threats in advance so that the rest of the party could prepare and come up with a plan. So far she failed her Stealth roll only once (against the Redbrand Ruffians in the Sleeping Giant). The Archer then snipped most goblin standing guard from far away, or the Wizard Magic Missile'd the ones he couldn't target because of vision constraints (such as the one standing guard on the bridge).

No single character was dropped through the course of the adventure, although many enemies concentrated their attacks against the first rank of PCs (Cleric and the Noble Fighter) or the Wizards (who thanks to MA and Shield were really difficult to hit, and only used other Lvl 1 spells when they were sure the combat was all but won).

Thoughts? Are the players being really smart (or lucky) or am I giving them an easy time somehow?

PS: I've added two goblins to each encounter on Part 1 with less than five of them on Cragmaw Hideout (except Area 8 and the goblin ambush), to which I added just one, to compensate for the extra player. I also changed the Redbrand Ruffians encounter to be six vs six on the dusty street at sunset for a western vibe.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
The default pregens are not very scouty. A group actually built to not get surprised all the time does much better.

Smart play is important, but the dice can still turn the tide quickly.

Wolfskin

Explorer
The default pregens are not very scouty. A group actually built to not get surprised all the time does much better.
This is true, but the Rogue has a nifty +7 to Stealth rolls and rolled above 7 constantly. With the goblins' low Passive Perception (9, IIRC), she would have to roll really low to miss, and then again she had the Lucky trait which makes rolling two 1s in a row all but impossible.

The party never surprised the goblins, but neither they were surprised by them thanks to the Rogue and the Archer (who didn't really need to hide to hit an enemy from the distance)

bolo__

First Post
Interested to know if your players are experienced or relatively new to DnD?

I've had a very similar experience with brand new players that I wrote about here and basically I've found that tactics (or the lack thereof) will lead to vastly different outcomes.
Also surprise rounds make a massive amount of difference.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Interested to know if your players are experienced or relatively new to DnD?
Good question. The roster goes like this:
1) Cleric: experienced DnD player, highly tactically-minded, he comes up with most of the plans when the Rogue notices danger ahead. Since his character is a soldier, I find this really cool.
2) Archer Fighter: experienced with a lot of games but not much of a DnD player. He's quite resourceful, though. He's always figuring out distances to make sure he gets the most out of his longbow.
3) Rogue: lapsed DnD player (didn't play DnD for years until now), loves to play Rogues and sneaky types.
4) Noble Fighter: lapsed DnD player (doesn't play for 20 years), more of a roleplayer than tactician, but he's fond of getting into harm's way by Shoving opponents currently engaged with his companions and the like.
5) Elf Wizard: experienced DnD player, though not much of a tactician. Still, he loves 5e casting system, especially the MA + Shield combination and is the one who suggested being used as goblin bait.
6) Human Wizard: almost new to DnD. He has played a couple of times, but never a caster before. His character usually stays out of harm's way and casts protective spells, so far only using Ray of Frost to fight.

I've had a very similar experience with brand new players that I wrote about here and basically I've found that tactics (or the lack thereof) will lead to vastly different outcomes.
Thanks, I had missed that thread somehow until now! Yes, I think the party's success is mostly due to cooperative playing and a few lucky rolls.

Last edited:

bolo__

First Post
1) Cleric: experienced DnD player, highly tactically-minded, he comes up with most of the plans when the Rogue notices danger ahead. Since his character is a soldier, I find this really cool.
2) Archer Fighter: experienced with a lot of games but not much of a DnD player. He's quite resourceful, though. He's always figuring out distances to make sure he gets the most out of his longbow.
3) Rogue: lapsed DnD player (didn't play DnD for years until now), loves to play Rogues and sneaky types.
4) Noble Fighter: lapsed DnD player (doesn't play for 20 years), more of a roleplayer than tactician, but he's fond of getting into harm's way by Shoving opponents currently engaged with his companions and the like.
5) Elf Wizard: experienced DnD player, though not much of a tactician. Still, he loves 5e casting system, especially the MA + Shield combination and is the one who suggested being used as goblin bait.
6) Human Wizard: almost new to DnD. He has played a couple of times, but never a caster before. His character usually stays out of harm's way and casts protective spells, so far only using Ray of Frost to fight.

So I (warning: not an experienced DM) would rebalance the 1st section of LMoP for 6 PCs like this:

1) 6 Goblins at the ambush
2) 3 Goblins in the Goblin Blind
3) 4 (or 5) wolves in the kennel
4) 2 lookouts on the bridge
5) 4 (or 5) goblins manning the twin pools cave
6) 8 Goblins & Yeemik at the Eating Cave / Goblin Den
7) Klarg, his wolf, a second Bugbear and 2 (or 1) goblins in Klarg's Cave

(This was basically just XP total of encounter multiplied by 1.5 seeing how you have 1.5 times the PCs.)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Nice work. I think your experience shows how important smart play/cautious play really is.

Interestingly, as a DM, in sessions that work similar to how you described your session, I always feel like it was too easy for the players. But, from the player perspective, they always feel like they were in danger and they generally feel satisfied about their experience.

Seeing the game from both perspectives is really important. As a player (especially at 1st and 2nd level) getting hit at all is scary! The 5% chance of crit is enough to put fear into even my AC 19 fighters. The randomness (and swinginess) of die rolling is one of the elements that I have always found makes D&D feel like D&D, and it adds tension and excitement.

I've played in and DMd games where the rogue scout missteps and gets attacked by multiple creatures 1 or 2 rounds away from the rest of the part. Scouting ahead is great, but it could end in disaster too.

Likewise, I've had AC 21, 70 hp, 6th level fighter mobbed by bugbears go down in 1 round (my DM dice were rolling mad 20s).

Cool stuff.

Wolfskin

Explorer
So I (warning: not an experienced DM) would rebalance the 1st section of LMoP for 6 PCs like this
Good idea. Right now I'm thinking how to rebalance the Redbrands Hideout dungeon for these guys. I think I'll take the 1.5 XP route.

Interestingly, as a DM, in sessions that work similar to how you described your session, I always feel like it was too easy for the players. But, from the player perspective, they always feel like they were in danger and they generally feel satisfied about their experience.
The players did feel challenged and at two different times they argued about whether to continue or not
their way into the cave, so I think they didn't feel the adventure to be too easy on them. I don't want them to get too confident, though, so I think I'll spice the next encounters to give them a pause if they think they'll clear next the dungeon without breaking a sweat.

jgsugden

Legend
It is meant to be a fun introduction for new players. Experienced savvy players with solid PCs *should* eat it up.

Add beef if you want your experienced players to find a challenge.

drjones

Explorer
Sounds like your players are being much more tactical and careful than most will be. And in the world of d&d that means you win more often. Also, I ran 6 players in my game and boosted pretty much every encounter up a goblin or two, they were less careful than yours but still emerged triumphant but bloodied.

edit to say, rather than boost every encounter I looked at the danger of the monsters involved, wolves and klarg got no boost but all the goblins did. I also changed the encounter numbers when the players left to rest up and come back, gotta roll with the punches so that there are fights they squash easily and others they suffer in. Otherwise it can get monotonous.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases