• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Those of you who have actually PLAYED 5e...

I'm running my first game of 5e tonight. It's an ongoing campaign (previously a Pathfinder base with heavy 4e house-ruling), so we're already at 6th level.

Any tips, pointers, or warnings? Things that someone who's read the rules but not yet played the game might miss or overlook? (Particularly since we're starting well above first?)

My advice would be to make sure you have a good grasp on the perception rules—they're very flavorful but might confuse prior editioners. Also difference between perception and investigation.

Juriel

First Post
Decide how to handle stealth ahead of time, so the messy rules don't have to be looked at during the game. Just look at any of a number of Stealth threads for differing opinions on how to handle it.

Spreeth

First Post
As a DM, I would recommend that although 5th edition uses theater of the mind, use grids. I have spoken with many players who have expressed frustration at not knowing where they were or what they could hide behind during combat if the DM did not use a grid. I find that a grid takes the guess-work out of combat scenarios.

Feats are very powerful (more than they were in 3.5). So, if you are not comfortable with them make sure to communicate that fact to the players before they make their characters -- remember that feats are now at the DM's option.

Good luck!

- Spreeth

There are some erroneous assumptions you might make based on prior editions. You should note:

There are no flanking rules.
There are no flatfooted rules beyond the existence of the surprise round.
Ability score advancements are now dependent on class level.

Kyle Ropp

First Post
There are incentives for roll playing built into the game... Use them... I also found in both if the games I DM that using the random generation tables for background at least a little really throws a curve ball yo the player and helps flesh out better. PCs are squishier than in 4e and pathfinder imho and playing on the fear of combat makes the PCs think about things before they do them. Lastly don't get bogged down in the rules, these are meant go to be extremely flexible. In one case o gave advantage on crossbow attacks if the shooter was prone. Things like this not only are fun for the PC but also leave him up a creek if dashed at.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As a DM, I would recommend that although 5th edition uses theater of the mind, use grids. I have spoken with many players who have expressed frustration at not knowing where they were or what they could hide behind during combat if the DM did not use a grid. I find that a grid takes the guess-work out of combat scenarios.

Good luck!

- Spreeth

I would base this on your player preference first before deciding to use them or not. For example, my experiences are the opposite. All the games I've run (both my own groups and pick up games at the FLGS) I haven't used grids once, and none of the players had a problem with it. The closest we came were minis for general location and marching orders, but nothing on an actual grid. Just eyeball things (as far as ranges and scale go), and if there is doubt because it's too close to call, give benefit of the doubt to players.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
You only get one bonus action, one reaction, and can only use one concentration spell at a time.

Look at the rules for attacks of opportunity, they are much simpler and less frequent.

Spreeth

First Post
I would base this on your player preference first before deciding to use them or not. For example, my experiences are the opposite. All the games I've run (both my own groups and pick up games at the FLGS) I haven't used grids once, and none of the players had a problem with it. The closest we came were minis for general location and marching orders, but nothing on an actual grid. Just eyeball things (as far as ranges and scale go), and if there is doubt because it's too close to call, give benefit of the doubt to players.

Good advice Sacrosanct!

KidSnide

Adventurer
To me, the number one tip for experienced DMs running 5e is a reminder that the rules are designed to be fast and quick and the DM (and players) are the only real sources of common sense realism, if that's something you want in your game.

In particular, the flat DC system is designed to give every character a meaningful chance of success or failure whenever you roll the dice. This system works well in situations where success and failure should be meaningful options, like most rolls in combat. But there are plenty of situations where it doesn't make sense for all PCs to have a chance. For example, a thick door where a Str 20 has to roll to break down, a Str 8 character shouldn't have a chance. Or, if the Str 8 does have a chance of breaking down the door, the Str 20 character shouldn't have to roll.

In 3.x / Pathfinder, there were huge differences between good skills and bad skills that would effectively determine if rolling is necessary (causing problems if you want everyone to have a significant risk of failure or success). In 5e, the DM has to either use common sense to determine when to roll and when to just say "yes" (or "no"), or you have to accept that the world is a little wacky and sometimes the weakling will knock down a door when the half-orc fails.

-KS

Remove ads