D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual
[Back to Reviews Index]

Quickly rate D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Wizards of the Coast

Game system(s): D&D 5th Edition,
Line: D&D 5th Edition Core Books,
Genre: Fantasy,

Fri 19 September 2014
Christopher Perkins, Chris Sims, Rodney Thompson, Peter Lee, Robert J. Schwalb, Matt Sernett, Steve Townshend, James Wyatt,
Hardcover (352 pages)
$49.95

Fun with stats: D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual is ranked #16 out of 57 products with 10 or more reviews, placing it in the 74% percentile. It is rated 13.8 points higher than the overall average product rating of 76.7%. With 107 reviews, this is the #2 most reviewed product.

90.5% HIT

Rated by 107 readers at 90.5% who deem this a HIT. A recommended purchase.
Read all 107 reviews | Write Your Own
EN World's official review of this product gave it 91%. Read this review.
There are 12 external reviews of this product with a combined rating of 96%. Read these reviews.

The Monster Manual presents a horde of classic Dungeons & Dragons creatures, including dragons, giants, mind flayers, and beholdersa monstrous feast for Dungeon Masters ready to challenge their players and populate their adventures.

The monsters contained herein are culled from the D&D games illustrious history, with easy-to-use game statistics and thrilling stories to feed your imagination.
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 9 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!I Defended The Walls!I Defended The Walls!

Block Henrix

Friend+
    My communities:

4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

This is a very good MM.I would have given it five stars if the monster descriptions had been longer and more detailed.They are better than the one in the 4e MM, but shorter than 3e. And not at all as good as many of the 2e texts.
    XP Leif gave XP for this post

5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Its possible that the new 5th Edition D&D Monster Manual might very well be the grandest MM ever produced for this RPG. Certainly, the D&D Monster Manual is physically one of the sturdiest designs -not all of the old MMs were so well made as anyone who owned a 2nd Edition Monster Manual can tell you. And from a writing and illustration perspective, this new D&D Monster Manual is wonderful to read and contains some downright amazing new renderings of iconic fantasy monsters.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews

Block Patrick McGill

Friend+

Overall, the story content within this book will leave its mark on the RPG industry for a very long time to come. Many creatures come away almost reinvented, or simply revitalized, making you think deeply about monsters that have simply been sitting in the tool shed this whole time.

So this volume serves both the purpose as a reference tool, but also as an idea producer. Simply flipping through it and reading a random entry can bring forth a wealth of adventure and session ideas. It is really only a shame that we still have to wait until December(!) in order to effectively use this book to its fullest potential.

So, until the Dungeon Masters Guide is released, I can safely say that for me the future of this edition is bright indeed. I just hope that the staggered release schedule that they chose to do, ostensibly due to wanting to give each book a good round of review and editing, won't hurt the edition right out of the gate. I do believe some may feel that this volume goes hand in hand with the one coming, and is thus a lesser thing during the interim. We shall see.
    Last edited by Patrick McGill; Wednesday, 12th November, 2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Formatting

Overall I like the book there are a few things I would to change like making undead templates but not enough to make me upset I ot the book.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 18 Reviews

Block Corrosive

Friend+

A truly gorgeous Monster Manual which you can enjoy reading or referencing. Plenty of ecology and wonderful art. Best looking MM ever, and almost as useful as the 2E Monstrous Compendiums.

Frazzled
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Reviews
    Read 23 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Block Morrus

Friend+
    My communities:

This is an excellent Monster Manual. It doesn't have a monsters-by-CR chart, but there are various fan-made ones around the web. Other than that, it's very attractive fun to read.

The artwork alone makes this manual worth owning. The dragons are superb, the balor is fantastic, and the Tarrasque is simply terrifying. My biggest complaint, is that there's no list of the monsters by anything other than alphabetical order. Thankfully, I was able to find a list based on challenge rating (http://media.wizards.com/2014/downlo...MonstersCR.pdf). A list based on size, or AC, or HP would have been nice, as well. But, overall, this is a very nice monster manual.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

Block ashockney

Friend+

Should this be rated separately by players and DM's? I'm guessing most DM's will be 4 or 5 stars, and most players will be 1 or 2 stars! Brilliant!

This book is amazing. The monsters are fantastically illustrated and their writeups are overflowing with great adventure hooks. In my experience they are all more-or-less mechanically balanced and fun to run as well. It lacks an index of monsters by challenge rating, but there's one on the website to download so it's not a big issue.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast