D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

Tormyr

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

At last the 5e DMG has arrived, and it is fantastic. Sections cover building your world, running your game, and tweaking the game.The most important part at the moment for me comes in the last chapter. At last, there is a detailed method given to build your own creatures. At my table, we are currently in chapter 4 of 12 of Age of Worms, a 3.5 adventure path. While lots of the monsters and NPCs can be pulled directly or modified from the Monster Manual, There are still plenty of creatures that are not close to anything. Now we have the resource to quickly put together a monster and get a good idea of its difficulty.Lots has been said by others about how good this book is, but this was the standout feature for me.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy

And by waiting for I mean since 1e. This is not just a DM guide, this is probably one of the best reference books on the art of storytelling and dungeon mastering that has been published for a table-top RPG. Here you'll find lots, and I mean LOTS of reference tables that really open up the game like 1, 2, 3e never did. Variant rules and mods are provided to add different levels of game play. But being a visual guy, I have to say that this is one stunningly beautiful book. Art and layout alone this book will (I predict) win awards. Its a big book and covers alot of ground. I was able to get mine at my preferred seller FLGS and it was selling fast (they had 50 copies initially). This review is also my personal 'thank you' to Wizards of the Coast. Thank you for finally delivering the kind of DMG that Ive always wanted. Even if you dont plan on picking up 5th edition this book will be an invaluable resource and reference manual (I think that WotC designed it to be, which is very smart).

ccooke

Adventurer

I only meant to look up a few specific things... several hours later, I've read the whole book. It's engaging, it's useful but most of all just skimming the chapters I could see clear places where it would help me be a better DM. What more can you ask?

guachi

Hero

The 5e DMG puts the G in DMG. It's a Guide book not a Rule book. Filled with dozens of optional and variant rules and 174 random tables, the 5e DMG is full of ideas and inspirations. The art is excellent, the advice is excellent, the production values are excellent. The one minus is the magic items are listed alphabetically not by rarity or type.

Cadriel

First Post

I've perused all of the 5e Dungeon Master's Guide, and it is everything I hoped it would be and more. What jumps out about this book is that it is full of game-useful content. As an OSR gamer who loves the 1e Dungeon Master's Guide, this is a book that challenges it on the sheer number of tables for generating game detail on the fly, and comes out ahead. Fans of Gygax's masterpiece will be amused by things like the forms of government, the potion miscibility table, and the carousing table. Even when a section seems like it might be a bit rote, things like the tables for customizing magic items pop out at you. Any area of the game where you might need inspiration, this is a book that will have something. It is a tour de force, and a book that you will want at your side in every stage - from designing a world, to crafting an adventure, to running a game. The section on NPC design is only 9 pages long, but it's solid gold and easily the centerpiece of the DMG. For the first time since 1e, this is a Dungeon Master's Guide that you should have at your table even if you are running another edition, or another game entirely.

was

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

It's a pretty good DMG, but much of it is a rehash or modification of previous DMGs. It's good at offering DMs options, however, there are a few sections, like magic item pricing, that I found to be a bit too vague and disappointing. Overall, it's still a pretty decent book and worth the cost.

Cam Banks

Adventurer

This book is packed with terrific things, so much so that it appears a lot had to be cut just to make it possible to release the thing. It's an essential part of the D&D5E triad, as expected.

aramis erak

Legend

The options chapter may seem short, but it's crammed full of goodies. It's a fun read. overall, and the monster creation isn't as simple as people have been suggesting; it appears robust and designed to allow for wildly off expectation, and give them a reasonable CR. And the art is gorgeous... more than I expected, and better than the MM or PHB art.

Critical Hits

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

Is it the best Dungeon Master’s Guide I’ve ever read? Probably not. Its strengths in the variety of topics covered is also one of its weaknesses, where you’ll be left wanting in some areas. It will, however, cover tons of needs, including ones you didn’t know you had. It’s not quite a “hacker’s guide” of D&D that was hinted at in earlier previews, though there’s lots of that to get you started and plenty of advice to empower you to experiment with your campaign.

Remove ads