• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carousing House Rule

Inspired by the What do players spend their treasure on? thread, and by myriads of sword & sorcery stories.

Carousing is a new form of Downtime activity. Unlike most such activities, the days spent Carousing must be consecutive, and it must be the first activity you pursue after entering town. (Further, the town must be large enough to support a variety of, er, appetites.)

While Carousing, you are living it large in pretty much every conceivable way. You spend money on the very finest clothing, food, drink, drugs, and male and/or female companionship. The exact amount you spend should be set by the GM depending on the wealth level of the campaign, but 50 gp per level per day is about right for a straight PHB campaign.

You can purchase equipment while Carousing, but you must spend at least 5 times the list price - either you're getting the fanciest-schmanciest version with gilding and gems, or else you're just in too much of a stupor to notice you're paying too much. (And it isn't wise to put off buying things until after you've had "fun" - see below.)

A Carousing interval is 5 days, plus your Wisdom save, minimum of 3. (You must add your proficiency bonus if you are proficient in Wis saves!) Wise people find their conscience and/or forethought gets in the way of proper enjoyment.

After each interval, make a Con save vs. DC 15. If you succeed, you gain a Luck point, just like those from the Lucky feat, that will last until you spend it - and you keep on Carousing! If you fail, you wake up in a puddle of your own vomit, robbed blind of the rest of your cash except maybe 1d6 coppers.

You can't have more Luck points from Carousing than your Con modifier (minimum of 1). But once you've started Carousing, it's hard to stop short of running out of money. If you want to stop and you still have cash, make a Wis save vs. DC 15 - if you fail, you Carouse for another interval.

You can't cache any of your money or give it to friends expecting them to give it back to you later. If you were the sort to take thought for the future, you wouldn't be Carousing anyway.

Last edited:

Hmm. Thinking on this a bit more, I think maybe one should have to fail a Wis save to continue Carousing rather than extending the interval? Otherwise the frail but wise cleric will last longer than the hardy barbarian, which seems weird.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a little harsh! Unable to stop until you wake in a puddle of your own vomit, robbed blind? It's a very extreme definition of carousing! Most folks can easily go out drinking for an evening and stop. It sounds like what's being described here is a severe alcoholic.

BigVanVader

First Post
I also love Carousing as it's written. But...it seems like you couldn't do this in like a village somewhere. Maybe there are degrees of carousing? Either for areas that aren't Vegas Village, or even for guys who aren't Leisure Suit Larry?

Aside from that...Carousing sounds like it could be a fun game all its own. The quest to discover who you married, shagged and/or sacrificed. Maybe not all in that order.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Personally, I prefer the way Dungeon World approaches Carouse. At the same time, it makes you spend coin, but you gain something for it rather than suffering from it.

Gothnog

First Post
Great idea!

That is a great concept. If a DM doesn't want to allow it as a blanket option, it could be used as a background flaw.

It's a little harsh! Unable to stop until you wake in a puddle of your own vomit, robbed blind? It's a very extreme definition of carousing! Most folks can easily go out drinking for an evening and stop. It sounds like what's being described here is a severe alcoholic.

It was intentionally rather harsh. Read any Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories lately? Those guys routinely run through a king's ransom by partying hard. And get robbed too.

So I asked myself, if they were PC's, what possible motivation other than masochism would their players have for doing that? There must be some silver lining? Hence the Luck points.

Do note that it's possible to stop with a Wis save.

Khaalis said:
Personally, I prefer the way Dungeon World approaches Carouse. At the same time, it makes you spend coin, but you gain something for it rather than suffering from it.

How does DW do it?

BigVanVader said:
I also love Carousing as it's written. But...it seems like you couldn't do this in like a village somewhere. Maybe there are degrees of carousing? Either for areas that aren't Vegas Village, or even for guys who aren't Leisure Suit Larry?

Agreed. Like I said, it needs to be a large enough town to have sufficient opportunities.

For smaller towns, perhaps the DC's of both the Wis and Con saves go down, but the interval times go up?

Aside from that...Carousing sounds like it could be a fun game all its own. The quest to discover who you married, shagged and/or sacrificed. Maybe not all in that order.

Heh! It could be a great IC excuse to multiclass to warlock. ;)

Gothnog said:
That is a great concept. If a DM doesn't want to allow it as a blanket option, it could be used as a background flaw.

Good point!

Oh, another thing about stopping Carousing.

There's nothing saying the other PC's can't use the Help action to give you advantage on your saves. That could make for some fun RP, too - the cleric severely lecturing the barbarian on the evils of drink and idleness while he has a hangover. :)

Remove ads