• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When are you supposed to tip (in America)?

Pandamonium87

First Post
I meant that their work there is illegal and it's not legally registered. This means that the owner does not pay taxes on his waiters and that the waiters do not have any protection for being sick or they don't a have the right not to come at work if they have problems for one day. For the Italian state people like this don't exist at all.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I meant that their work there is illegal and it's not legally registered. This means that the owner does not pay taxes on his waiters and that the waiters do not have any protection for being sick or they don't a have the right not to come at work if they have problems for one day. For the Italian state people like this don't exist at all.

Ah yes. In the US, it's called "undocumented worker."

Janx

Hero
Ah yes. In the US, it's called "undocumented worker."

yeah, that be a different beast. Legally, to employ somebody, they have to be I9 verified, which is fancy form speak for the boss saw 2 forms of valid ID for the employee before they started.

And since taxes get reported on the employee (or lack thereof if the employee doesn't withold taxes for a contractor, they still report the payment of pay), the government knows you exist and how much money's at play.

There ain't no loopholes except for people not following the law. Which Al Capone knows how that works out (the IRS nailed him).

Generally, the only people playing at not documenting is people doing illegal stuff or mom-n-pop shops that think they can are too small to be noticed for not reporting.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
The US are pretty much unique in that regard:
"Employers often pay these employees lower wages in anticipation that the service employees will receive tip income to raise their compensation to market levels. Many of these employees also may be part-time employees and not receive any employer-paid benefits such as health insurance, which they consequently must pay for personally. So customers may not be paying more for the service that they are receiving than if the cost of the services were built into prices as they are in many other countries."

You just gotta love the US...

I spent 8 months working at such a job. I did it for fun. There was a tip jar, and we had to pool tips. Some people had to use their tip money in order to pay bus fair. No tips = walk home. I usually gave them a ride if they wanted one.

Yes, US tip system is weird. Employees are treated like interchangeable drones, and always expected to function at 110%. Failure = replacement. Fatigue? What are you going to do? Get another job? In this economy? Yeah right...

Remove ads