The Fey, the Far, and the Ugly Space In Between

Binks

Explorer
The two frost goblins who were attempting to pull the boards from the structure nearest to you had ceased their prying efforts and put their spears out before them defensively at Otthor's emergence from your dwelling. When you made your leap from the roof's eave and strafed for line of sight of your, now slain, second goblin target, they quick-stepped toward you, realizing that the fight is now on. You're now in melee range (close) of their short spears/javelins. They begin to circle you immediately. [sblock]They will be FG1 and FG2.[/sblock]

If you want to high-tail it out of their or drop your bow and draw your weapons, you're going to need to Defy Danger as they're upon you.

The snow is thick and weighs on my legs. Moving through it is a terrible effort. I'm sure the small frost goblins, though unaffected by the cold of it, are worse off than I am. Nonetheless, I bolt for the structure that they were prying at without a second thought.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Dex)
2, 5 + 2 = 9

Success with worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

I dive over their spears, tuck my feet under me and somersault into the cold snow, coming up to my feet immediately and grabbing at the timbers of the cabin to climb to the ridge of the steep roof.

Per Manbearcat
Your stunning swiftness, agility, and grace leaves one of the goblins in the (snow) dust. But goblins are fast, skittery creatures. The other one keeps pace with you and grasps one of your boots as you climb. You easily kick him away but his spear comes forward and the head of it slices through your flailing cloak, pinning it, and you to the exterior wall.

You can either continue to climb - which will require DD (Str) - and your heavy, cold-weather cloak will be torn to shreds...or you can drop and face the goblin, and soon-after his companion, in mortal combat.

I try to kick at the spear momentarily to dislodge it as losing my cloak in this territory is asking for major trouble. When it doesn't come free, I make the difficult choice of continuing the climb, listening to the horrible ripping sound as the tattered remains stay with me, barely covering part of my shoulders as I reach for the eave to crest the top to the roof's ridge.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Str)
1, 4 + 0 = 5

Mark 1 xp.[/sblock]

Urg.

Per Manbearcat
You pull yourself up to the ridge of the roof no problem. However, you didn't realize that the goblin, extremely adept climbers that they are (a common epithet your people use for them is cockroach), was keeping pace with you while you tried to dislodge the the spear. When you get to the top of the ridge, you're suddenly hit with force enough to take you from your feet on the slippery, steeply-pitched, roof. Your head slams into the icy wood and the goblin is upon you, attempting to choke you with your own bow. [sblock]Roll 1d6 damage less your armor.[/sblock]

Your options are minimal here. You're at the ridge but it can't be long before you guys move over it and begin a quick descent down the harsh slope of the roof. The impact will be hard, no doubt.

I squirm desperately to keep the wood of my bow from crushing my windpipe and to turn our bodies so we're lined up parallel to the ridge for what comes next. Then, with all of my strength, I get my feet into his stomach so I can flip him off of me and throw him from the top of the ridge and to the ground.

[sblock]1d6 = 5 damage - 1 armor = 4 total damage to me from prior failure.

Defy Danger (Str)
2, 5 = 7

1d6 = 5 damage - 1 armor = 4 total damage to the goblin. He's dead.

Success with worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Your legs curl in and then spring outward violent, propelling the goblin far and wide off of the high ridge of the building's roof. The crunch of the snow is followed by the sickening crunch of his spinal column. He lies forever still where he landed. However, as you get to your feet, you realize that something is missing. The tight clutches of his desperate hands took your bow with him...

The second goblin has been preparing to line up a throw of his short spear. You make a perfect target for him now. He closes an eye and cocks, preparing to throw.

You can take cover or make an offensive move. If you do the latter, that spear is coming (auto d6 damage to you less armor) if he isn't dead after it.

My elven longknife is pulled from my weapon belt without even a thought. Its typically not meant for throwing, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I flip it up to my ear, catch it by the blade and launch it end over end at the goblin.

Per Manbearcat
That is fine. You can Volley at Near range with it. However, without the "Thrown" tag, you're going to get the "Awkward" tag and take -1 to your Volley.

That's fine. Here goes...

[sblock]Volley with Elven Longknife (Dex)
6, 6 + 2 - 1 (Awkward) = 13!

4 - 1 (armor) damage. He's dead.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The weapon isn't remotely properly balanced for throwing, but your otherworldly coordination and accuracy shame that reality right out of existence. The goblin drops his spear where he stands, longknife embedded into the eye that he was squinting and deep into his brain.

You're down to just your Elven Shortsword, but the frost goblins are down two more of their numbers.

Let us stop there as I'm going to have to move Otthor forward.

Last edited:

Now that we've crossed swords and I have a feel for this guy's speed, agility and the rudiments of his combat routines, I'd like to get a feel for what he is going to do next.

Regarding Otthor's duel with the Hobgoblin:

[sblock](a) Forceful Tag associated with his counterattack on you and (b) Riddle of Steel results intertwined below.[/sblock]

While in formation, the hobgoblin is probably a finely honed battle captain. Out of that formation and rattled? Not so much. You can quickly assess his postures and his (not particularly well-paced or set-up) modes of attack. No circling left. No circling right. He is aggressively coming forward and working you backwards and you're forced to give ground lest you feel the sting of the spear or the bite of his shield. His alternating shield > torso and spear > thigh/bicep is predictable. Nonetheless, he has you not far from the structure you emerged from and its entrance. He's clearly hoping to confine the space of the fight, hem you in and pin you down.

If you want to prevent his hemming you in against the wall of the structure and making this fight close-quarters, you're going to need to Defy Danger. Alternatively, you can take damage (as before), circle away from the trap, keep "floating like a butterfly" and make a move.

Regarding Saerie and the rest of the battlefield.

The three remaining goblins are working fiercely to manage the wolves. Unfortunately, two shields does not a wall make. Consequently, they're having to give ground. They're gesturing has indicated that they would like to work their way to one of the structures to climb upon it or perhaps to the door that the hobgoblin is pushing Otthor toward. However, they're doing everything they can just to survive and beat back the wolves. They've been able to put one down but they've sustained a few wounds for the effort. They are slowly backing in Saerie's direction, perhaps intent on trying to get on the same roof. Suddenly the third goblin, the lightly armored handler of the animals, bolts for that roof. Although you can't hear it (Saerie can only faintly hear the sounds of the wolves in their frenzy), you imagine there are protests from the other two, well-armored goblins. Their peril is dire.

The other two sets of wolves are still hitched to their sleds (Far), but the rigging is being stressed to its limits. They're actively tearing into it with their maws...and its beginning to give way. Its likely not too terribly long before 10 mad wolves are running free.

So Saerie, you're up on the ridge of the roof. On the snowy ground below you, you're bow is in the clutches of a dead goblin and your longknife is embedded in the throat of another. Your shortsword adorns your hip. A goblin is headed your direction, cowardly abandoning his allies and running for his life from the onslaught of the wolves. Your adrenaline is pumping, but you are cold as hell (the cold part of the infernal plane...Stygia or Cania). Stay out here much longer in this freezing weather, exposed without any cold weather cloak, and some danger is going to be coming your way!

What is the plan?

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Regarding Otthor's duel with the Hobgoblin:

[sblock](a) Forceful Tag associated with his counterattack on you and (b) Riddle of Steel results intertwined below.[/sblock]

While in formation, the hobgoblin is probably a finely honed battle captain. Out of that formation and rattled? Not so much. You can quickly assess his postures and his (not particularly well-paced or set-up) modes of attack. No circling left. No circling right. He is aggressively coming forward and working you backwards and you're forced to give ground lest you feel the sting of the spear or the bite of his shield. His alternating shield > torso and spear > thigh/bicep is predictable. Nonetheless, he has you not far from the structure you emerged from and its entrance. He's clearly hoping to confine the space of the fight, hem you in and pin you down.

If you want to prevent his hemming you in against the wall of the structure and making this fight close-quarters, you're going to need to Defy Danger. Alternatively, you can take damage (as before), circle away from the trap, keep "floating like a butterfly" and make a move.

Highway to the Dangerzone!

With the simple code of his combat deciphered, I put it to use. I gauge the rhythm and flow of his spear/shield 1 - 2. In live training and on the battlefield, I've taken hundreds of hard shots to the chest that would leave lesser combatants gasping for breath on the floor. I count on that conditioning to see me through.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Con)
3, 5 + 1 (Con) + 1 (OG from TDtG) + 1 (TRoS) = 11.[/sblock]

Just as my back nears the building, I parry his spear with a downward, inside-out slash, accept the thump of his shield to my chest and use the momentum to immediately spin off it and turn the tables. With his back now near the wall and plenty of room for me to synchronize the complicated movements marrying sword and spell, I unleash a punishing assault.

[sblock]Flawless Bladework (Int)
2, 5 + 3 (Int) + 1 (OG from TDtG) = 11.

d8 damage. 7 - 3 (armor) = 4 damage.

Technique 1: Burst. 1d4 damage (2) and Forceful Tag. He's dead.
Technique 2: Soul Siphoning. 1d8 (2) hit points returned to me.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The Hobgoblin's shield isn't up to the task. When he attempts to block, the fury and accuracy of your bladework leaves behind splintered wood, tendon, muscle and bone. The blast of force magic throws him from his feet and halfway up the exterior wall of the structure. His lifeless grip relinquishes his spear and he falls in a heap to the ground, quite dead. Your nethermantic magic draws forth some of his ebbed life force to feed your vitality.

Alright, one last thing right quick. I'm going to snatch the spear before it falls to the ground. Given my position, I would have had plenty of view of the predicament that the two guards are in. I think I earned their respect and we can maybe help each other. After the catch of the spear, I spin and throw at one of the wolves savagely attacking them.

[sblock]Volley (Dex)
4, 3 + 1 = 8.

d8 damage is 5 - 1 armor = 4.

I'll "put myself in danger" rather than minus 1d6 to damage.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The spear takes one of the wolves in the back, severing its spinal column. Its snarling and snipping ceases immediately as death takes it. Two of the three remaining wolves break off from their unsuccessful attempts to break the frost goblin's shield wall. The rush you through the thick snow with terrible speed and the greatest of ease. Its everything you can do to get your sword up and defend yourself.

2 wolves. Close Range. Go ahead and stop there so I can move Saerie forward.

Binks

Explorer
The other two sets of wolves are still hitched to their sleds (Far), but the rigging is being stressed to its limits. They're actively tearing into it with their maws...and its beginning to give way. Its likely not too terribly long before 10 mad wolves are running free.

So Saerie, you're up on the ridge of the roof. On the snowy ground below you, you're bow is in the clutches of a dead goblin and your longknife is embedded in the throat of another. Your shortsword adorns your hip. A goblin is headed your direction, cowardly abandoning his allies and running for his life from the onslaught of the wolves. Your adrenaline is pumping, but you are cold as hell (the cold part of the infernal plane...Stygia or Cania). Stay out here much longer in this freezing weather, exposed without any cold weather cloak, and some danger is going to be coming your way!

And now Otthor has slain the hobgoblin, but has two wolves bearing down on him! That is my first concern. My second concern is the soon-to-be-free wolves across the central yard. My very last concern is for frostbite or hypothermia. As Blain from Predator would say "I ain't got time to be cold!"

I quickly assess the battlefield before me. The first thing I'm looking for is the quickest way I can slide down this icy, steep roof, land lightly and get to my bow so I can get off some shots before Otthor is overcome.

If I can glean enough info in the short span of time I have, I'm also paying attention to the following. These wolves are clearly showing signs of the madness infecting all creatures near water in "this maddened realm", as the Winter Wolf called it. I want to see if I can figure out who the packmaster or lead dog of each of the remaining sled teams across the way. Maybe if we can slay it, we can cow the other wolves. Finally, that cowardly goblin that is running for my structure. I want to make sure he doesn't have any mind to attack me as I go for my weapons.

[sblock]Discern Realities (Wis)
3, 5 + 2 = 10

3 questions and + 1 forward when acting on each.

* What should I be on the lookout for?
* Who’s really in control here?
* What is about to happen?[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
In reverse order:

1) He isn't moving to intercept you. The look on his face is terror and he has no mind to engage. He'd clearly like nothing more than to get to high ground and cower.

2) You can pick out the lead lupine for each sled team. They are both the biggest of each group of 5 and the frost goblins have marked their white and grey coats with deep indigo glyphs.

3) The smoothest patch of ice is nearest the eave where virtually all of the snow has shed from the steep roofing system. You can probably stably slide down that and get to your weapons quickly.

I move from the perch on the ridge, bend my knees to balance on a lower center of gravity, and surf down the roof to the snow below!

1, 4 + 2 (+ 1 from DR) = 8

Success with a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You make it to your weapons swiftly and without a problem. The goblin runs right by you and flees up the wall of the structure you just vacated.

However, the wind whips harshly at your exposed skin as you slide down the roof. The snow is cold and biting as you land and then worse as you reach through the heavily-packed precipitation for your longknife and bow. The rising sun is causing some minor melt, and your boots feel wet for it. If you don't some warmth or a cloak immediately, you're going to suffer for it. You can either high-tail it into the dwelling where Rawr and the dog are and possibly find warmth there.

Conversely you can gamble, relying on your adrenaline and warrior spirit to carry you through this (Defy Danger Con). Fail and you're taking 1d4 or 1d8 damage, no armor

Warrior spirit! Didn't I tell you I ain't got time to be cold!

[sblock]Defy Danger (Con)
6, 5 + 1 = 12![/sblock]

The cold is nothing to me. My aching nerves and skin desperately want me to feel it and relent. But the body is weak. I ignore its pleas and focus only on the battle and my endangered friend.

As I grab my freezing bow from the snow and string a pair of arrows, I quietly curse the cowardice of the goblin who betrayed his friends. I will show him that friendship and courage can never be separated.

[sblock]Volley (Dex) with Blot Out the Sun. Spending 1 of my 3 remaining Ammo to fire at both wolves.
4, 4 + 2 = 10.

d8 damage on both wolves. Rolled 8. That will kill them both[/sblock]

I'll grab my longknife and sheathe it as I run over toward Otthor.

Per Manbearcat
As you finish your sprint to Otthor, the two brave goblins finish off the last wolf. They begin to regard you but immediately turn back about as the sound of snapping rigging fills the air. As both sled teams break loose, the wolves snarl and howl in a dead sprint toward you all.

The goblins both ready their shields and hunker down behind them. They exchange a brief nod of admiration toward each other as they prepare for death.

EDIT - As the wolves are bearing down on the two goblins, I'll quickly relay the description of the alphas to Otthor and say "I may be able to corral the packs and release them from their madness if the alphas are put down!" I'll then follow his lead, bow at the ready.

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Her words are far too loud due to the wax in her ears. It takes me from the moment, forcing me to stifle a smirk. After Saerie's descriptions of the alphas, I hone in on the one rushing in just left of the horizon's center. I quickly point it out to her and then put a finger in my own chest, indicating that I'll take that one. Sure she understood, I sprint forward so I can man the front line with the frost goblin's and their two-man shield wall. Focusing on the charge of the alpha and his team behind him, I begin to draw forth the latent magic that binds everything. I reach out with my blade in the midst of that sprint and deliver a slash with gale-force speed. The resultant force of my swordplay renders the distance between us as nothing. It tears into the creature.

[sblock]Wind Slash (Int)
5, 3 + 3 = 11.

d8 damage and one technique on the alpha wolf. 4 damage - 1 armor = 3 damage.

Burst: Your attack deals an additional 1d4 damage and gains the ‘forceful’ tag. 3 force damage to the alpha.

6 total damage and force tag.[/sblock]

Let me know what happens and tell me how far I can get. I actually wouldn't mind getting in front of them and having all of the wolves converge on me. If I can't, I'll settle for getting next to one of fhe two goblins and defending him until Saerie can get the rabid creatures under control. If she can, that is.

Per Manbearcat
The reach of your blade and the blast of your magic flays the fur from its flesh and rends the muscle from its bones. It crashes in the midst of its dead (!) sprint, a bloody mess, leaving the trailing pack consternated for a moment. Even with the madness affecting them, there is still plenty semblance of their normal behaviors. They stop, circle, sniff and whine momentarily. Even the second pack hesitates, but mostly due to confusion as there is no clear causal mechanism for them to divine what caused the gory death. It creates momentary caution.

This gives you plenty of opening to finish your sprint and get next to the goblins and defend that spot and each other. If you want to get in front of them and be a one-man-vanguard, you can attempt to do so, but I'll need a Defy Danger to pull it off.

[sblock]You take + 1 armor forward while adjacent to the goblins and their "shield-wall." With the three of you, you actually have a mini-phalanx, with your dizzying swordplay an effective defense.[/sblock]

Alright, just getting alongside the goblins to defend each other long enough for Saerie to cow these creatures is good enough for me. I want at least one of these goblins alive so that they might be able to tell us what the know of the goings-on here and perhaps serve as guides in our inland journey. Would be nice to have at least 1 remaining sled of wolves left as well.

I rush up to a goblin and put my shoulder near his and assume a defensive posture with my blade out before to ward off incoming attacks. If he is surprised, I'll give him a reassuring, grim look that lets him know we're in this together.

[sblock]Defend (Con) the goblin next to me.
4, 2 + 1 = 7

Hold 1. I'm going to spend that hold to:

* Halve the attack’s effect or damage on the goblin.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
I won't know how many wolves will be attacking until Saerie attacks the other alpha wolf and whatever comes out of that + the rest of her turn. I'll udpate once that takes place but please go ahead and roll 1d6 and I'll add in any necessary + 1s for extra attackers.

Alright.

[sblock]Rolled 4 on 1d6.[/sblock]

EDIT - I forgot my own Defy Danger to avoid the wolves' attacks that directly come my way!

1, 5 + 1 = 7.

Success but a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
I'm on the run, lighting out after Otthor the moment he accelerates toward the goblins and the converging wolf packs. I trust him to take out the left alpha so my eyes focus only on the other pack and the large wolf with the dyed flank leading that charge. With the wax in my ears, I've heard nary a sound by the rhythm of my own breath and the song of my string as arrows fly from it. Its poetry.

[sblock]Volley (Dex) on the right alpha
2, 4 + 2 (+ 1 from prior DR) = 9

d8 damage = 7 - 1 armor = 6 damage

I'll choose to put myself in danger rather than less damage or Ammo loss[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The fevered crunch of snow and the sounds of battle (howling/snarling/whining of the wolves, he frost goblins clanging their spears on their waiting shields, the air-shredding boom of Otthor's Wind Slash) erupt all around you suddenly as your arrow flies free and finds its mark. The heart of the alpha. It dies suddenly with no sound except for its thick body barreling roughly into the snow rather than lightly rushing atop it. Like the other pack, there is a moment of mourning where the other wolves are stunned. You can hear them. From this distance. And you understand. They are clearly made rabbid by the poisoned whispers that haunt this land....from wherever they might come. But their bestial sounds are language to you. Their leaders death makes them fearful, uncertain...and saddened.

You suddenly feel the rush of those maddening whispers speed from some fell place nearby. They filter into your ears and infect your mind.

In all of the chaos and kinetic movement, the softened balls of wax have popped free from your ear canals. If you want to stop and work for a moment to resolve the situation, you can without a problem. However, both packs will have converged upon the goblins and Otthor by then. Who knows what toll the 8 of them will take upon the 3?

Alternatively, you can Defy Danger (Wis) if you'd like. Your choice.

There is no time. I don't even think of stopping. I need to get to that pack, assert my will over them and lead them from this place, restoring their senses. My bow is on my back and my short sword and longknife are in my respective hands as I run long adjacent to the goblins to menace and command the wolves through the primal magic of my bestial tatoo.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Wis)
6, 2 + 2 = 10[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
The other pack slams into Otthor and the the goblin directly adjacent to him. Otthor's martial expertise is uncanny, and with a hard forearm to the threat of one wolf, he saves the goblin from having its throat torn off. However, he has to give ground in order stave off the wolves from opening his thigh, taking him away from the protective phalanx and his ability to save the goblin next to him from the continuing attacks of the wolves.

The whispers fade from your mind and become noise blending into the background. The snapping maws of the wolves and their snarls are language to you. They are terrified of the encroaching madness. They are certainly aware of it. Subtle whines reveal that easy enough. With both alphas dead, each packs' beta is attempting to lead by ferocity. The other wolves are stepping in line.

You sprint up next to the other goblin. Everything is a wild frenzy around you. Jaws snap, fur flies, growls, snarls, the crunch of snow and the clang of iron and steel fill the air with sound and fury. You are now in the thick of it (close), weapons leading.

Tecklenburg

[sblock]Your Defend action saved the Frost Goblin. He took 6 - 2 armor = 4/2 (Your Defend) = 2 damage. He has 3 HP total. Now 1.

However, your complication is that you are forced back a few paces to defend the ferocious onslaught of the 4 wolves. You are no longer directly adjacent to the goblin so (a) you cannot defend him further attack and (b) you don't take + 1 armor at this distance from him and the phalanx that you three had set up.[/sblock]

Binks

[sblock]Your move to try to corral and command the packs is:

Leader of the Pack

When you kill a pack's alpha and assert your right as their new alpha, roll + Wis. On a 10+, they follow your lead for now and you choose 2. On a 7-9, they follow your lead for now...but...

* The beta of the pack doesn't cause you any problems.
* You fill them with vigor, restoring their vitality and sanity.
* Half of the pack doesn't flee in terror at your mighty presence.
* The pack doesn't misinterpret any commands while they follow your lead.[/sblock]

From the depths of my throat comes a terrifying howl that shivers the spine of man and beast alike. It ends in a snarl meant to belly up any wolf that will oppose me. My eyes are demonic. My weapons are fangs. My promise is strength, safety from the whispers that steal the will of their primal spirits, and that they will not know hunger while I lead them.

[sblock]Leader of the Pack (Wis)
4, 6 + 2 = 12

They follow your lead for now and I choose:

* You fill them with vigor, restoring their vitality and sanity.
* Half of the pack doesn't flee in terror at your mighty presence.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Suddenly, every member of the pack goes belly up or gets low to the ground and belly crawls over to Saerie, quietly whining and licking her legs or her hands if they draw near to stroke the wolves' fur.

The battlefield goes quiet save for the, wolf-like, pants of nervous and adrenaline-charged humanoids.

I'll move the fiction forward tomorrow with a post.

EDIT [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] , I forgot to advise that I'm immediately taking the wolves out of the settlement until I can find a location or distance where they no longer show signs of being under the thrall of the curse that is on this place. I'd also like to make note of when I stop hearing those whispers. It may help us triangulate precisely where they are coming from.

I'll pop my head in our shelter and get Rawr and the dog. Both of them need to acclimate to these new members of our pack anyway! If Rawr is stubborn and appears to need continued rest, I'll let him rest. He is going to have to get his big, fat bear butt up pretty soon though as we aren't going to be here much longer!

I'll let Otthor know my plans. He can communicate with the goblins and investigate the ruined settlement further. If he wants to wait until I get back to check out the cellar, he can do so. If we need to make a scene of this, let me know.

Last edited:

EDIT @Manbearcat , I forgot to advise that I'm immediately taking the wolves out of the settlement until I can find a location or distance where they no longer show signs of being under the thrall of the curse that is on this place. I'd also like to make note of when I stop hearing those whispers. It may help us triangulate precisely where they are coming from.

I'll pop my head in our shelter and get Rawr and the dog. Both of them need to acclimate to these new members of our pack anyway! If Rawr is stubborn and appears to need continued rest, I'll let him rest. He is going to have to get his big, fat bear butt up pretty soon though as we aren't going to be here much longer!

I'll let Otthor know my plans. He can communicate with the goblins and investigate the ruined settlement further. If he wants to wait until I get back to check out the cellar, he can do so. If we need to make a scene of this, let me know.

Saerie

First, a bit of mechanics. The dog and wolves are hirelings as below:

[sblock]Sheepdog (3)

A sheepdog is a stalwart companion, ready to lend a watchful eye or a helpful paw at a moment's notice.

Sentinel (Skill: 1) - When a sheepdog helps you Take Watch, add their skill to your score. Reduce their skill by 1 until they receive a good night's rest.

Intervene - When a sheepdog helps you defy danger you may opt to take +1 from their aid. If you do you cannot get a 10+ result, a 10+ instead counts as a 7–9.

Loyalty: 2

Cost: Attention and comfort

Team of Sled Wolves (3)

A team of sled wolves can get you where you need to go and help you find some food along the way.

Hunting Pack - When a Hunting Pack helps you Hunt and Track you may opt to take +1 from their aid. If you do you cannot get a 10+ result, a 10+ instead counts as a 7–9.

Sled (Skill: 3)- When you Undertake a Perilous Journey in the highlands, you reduce by 1 day the duration of any journey that is less day's travel than or equal to the team's sled score.

Loyalty: 0

Cost: Full bellies[/sblock]

Rawr's stubborness relinquishes with a little TLC convincing. He is clearly hungry as are the wolves and the dog. His hobbled limp is noticable as you exit the structure you camped in. The wolves keep their distance. He clearly frightens them and they look to you for reassurance. He isn't remotely unnerved by them and plods along slowly and indifferently as the old dog trots around him and rubs up against his heavy flank for warmth. They appear to be striking up a quick friendship.

It isn't terribly long before you reach the outer boundary of the whispers. Its actually barely further than the gates and the top of the hill that looks down upon the settlement (maybe a few thrown stones in distance). Whatever is affecting this settlement either has an extremely small radius (which would put its epicenter within the settlement) or it has an enormously long reach and the epicenter is far away from the bluff, toward the lake far below.

The wolves settle in and huddle together closely for warmth and rest. They likely just underwent a long jaunt at the head of the sleds. Rawr looks at you hungrily until he finally plops down on the snow to keep the weight off his injured leg.

Otthor

One of the goblins stands next to you and watches Saerie leave the camp with the wolves after she quickly grabs her bear and the dog. He exchanges a few short, quiet words that you can't understand with the other frost goblin adorned in armor and shield. That frost goblin then looks at you, looks back to him and gives a grim nod. He then turns to walk pointedly over to the cowardly goblin who is carefully trying to navigate the icy slick and steep roof that he climbed upon. He stands at the base while the goblin works his way back down to the snowy ground.

The frost goblin you are left with says "Xanob" while pointing to himself. Then, "Exel", pointing at the other armored goblin walking away. He makes some hand gestures and says a goblin word you know well. "Brothers." Goblins have all kinds of genetic meanderings so two that share likeness are rare. You can see it in these two.

Things quickly get ugly when the cowardly goblin that fled the fight hits the ground. Exel grabs him by the scruff of his neck and drags him back to you and Xanob, kicking and screaming. When he arrives, he throws him roughly at your feet. Xanob looks to you and strains hard to speak the common tongue. You understand after some effort on his part...

"Death...or exile?.."

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Otthor

One of the goblins stands next to you and watches Saerie leave the camp with the wolves after she quickly grabs her bear and the dog. He exchanges a few short, quiet words that you can't understand with the other frost goblin adorned in armor and shield. That frost goblin then looks at you, looks back to him and gives a grim nod. He then turns to walk pointedly over to the cowardly goblin who is carefully trying to navigate the icy slick and steep roof that he climbed upon. He stands at the base while the goblin works his way back down to the snowy ground.

The frost goblin you are left with says "Xanob" while pointing to himself. Then, "Exel", pointing at the other armored goblin walking away. He makes some hand gestures and says a goblin word you know well. "Brothers." Goblins have all kinds of genetic meanderings so two that share likeness are rare. You can see it in these two.

Things quickly get ugly when the cowardly goblin that fled the fight hits the ground. Exel grabs him by the scruff of his neck and drags him back to you and Xanob, kicking and screaming. When he arrives, he throws him roughly at your feet. Xanob looks to you and strains hard to speak the common tongue. You understand after some effort on his part...

"Death...or exile?.."

I look to the sky and shake my head. I'm no goblin warlord. I do my best to communicate with them in their tongue.

"The world is overfilled with cowards. If we put every coward's head on the executioner's block, there would be so few of us left that our societies would collapse. And the remaining stout of heart would find themselves drowned in oceans of blood."

"Even cowards have their uses." I bend down and look the goblin coward in the eye. "You seem a beast-handler. Can you tend to the wolves and man the sled?"

Per Manbearcat
Wing It
When you attempt to communicate in a language you're barely fluent in, roll + Int.

Treat it basically like Read a Person in AW. 10 + and hold 3. 7-9 and hold 1. When interacting, spend hold 1 for 1:

• alliance?
• past?
• intentions?
• expectations?
• how could I get your character to __?

[sblock]Wing It (Int)
6, 4 + 3 = 13. Hold 3.

I'll pick

• alliance?
• past?
• how could I get your character to guide us to Earthmaw?[/sblock]

I'll use alliance for what I wrote above. Their leader and most of their little band is no more. I want to know if these guys are going to stick around with us. I'll make it clear to them that we're keeping the wolves and the sleds if they choose not to ally with us. I'll also make it clear that I'm not their chieftain and I don't care about their customs. If they're sticking with us, its for mutually-assured survival, nothing more. I expect them to work together and fit in as they're capable, no more no less.

On past, I want to ask them what they know of this place or of any of the refugees that may have left it.

The last one is pretty self-explanatory. If we can get to Earthmaw, I think we can easily find our way to the dragon's glacier and to the Coldlands. Maybe we could resupply there as well.

Last edited:

I look to the sky and shake my head. I'm no goblin warlord. I do my best to communicate with them in their tongue.

"The world is overfilled with cowards. If we put every coward's head on the executioner's block, there would be so few of us left that our societies would collapse. And the remaining stout of heart would find themselves drowned in oceans of blood."

"Even cowards have their uses." I bend down and look the goblin coward in the eye. "You seem a beast-handler. Can you tend to the wolves and man the sled?"

I'll use alliance for what I wrote above. Their leader and most of their little band is no more. I want to know if these guys are going to stick around with us. I'll make it clear to them that we're keeping the wolves and the sleds if they choose not to ally with us. I'll also make it clear that I'm not their chieftain and I don't care about their customs. If they're sticking with us, its for mutually-assured survival, nothing more. I expect them to work together and fit in as they're capable, no more no less.

On past, I want to ask them what they know of this place or of any of the refugees that may have left it.

The last one is pretty self-explanatory. If we can get to Earthmaw, I think we can easily find our way to the dragon's glacier and to the Coldlands. Maybe we could resupply there as well.

On Alliance

When you address the small, cowardly goblin he looks at you with a timid, sidelong glance...almost as if he is trying to avert his eyes in shame. He can clearly understand your words and when you entreat him to serve as handler and driver for the sled-wolves, he nods his head up and down vigorously. In very broken common he points at himself and says, "Abnor fix sled! Abnor feed wolves! Abnor whip wolves! Make sled go!"

By their disapproving countenance, the other two are not pleased that Abnor gets to keep his head on his shoulders. Nonetheless, they understand your words and defer to your judgement. If they respect anything, its a mighty warrior and his decrees. They accept your terms...for now.

[sblock]We'll see how things go in the future. They may move to Protector or Warrior Hireling status, but not yet.[/sblock]

On the Past

A little under a week ago, two families of refugees showed up at Earthmaw. They were both brutally road-weary and one family was stricken by illness. One family pushed on to the Coldlands while the other stayed at Earthmaw due to the sickness (he describes exposure and pneumonia). He doesn't know what became of either family because his band (well, his former band, he acknowledges) set out a few days later to brave the harsh winter, the maddened beasts, and whatever was infecting this land, in order to make it to this settlement. They figured there would be plenty of human plunder to be had now that this place was nothing more than a ruin.

On Earthmaw

They can guide you there no problem. Their small clan, now reduced to 3, are outcast vagabonds and the wilds near Earthmaw is their home. After overhearing the story of the refugees while they were trading in Earthmaw, they decided to make the dangerous trek to the human settlement, then return with all the plunder they could carry. It will be an extremely difficult, 3 day journey. The sky is filled with hungry predators and the earth is littered with aberrant beasts, transformed after drinking from the great meltwater lake. The goblin shamans warn that its been poisoned or diseased by Maglubiyet, a goblinoid diety. They say its punishment for forsaking him and venerating Kord. The two brothers spit and sneer after relaying that.

You can tell without a doubt that the goblins are starting to be affected by the onslaught of the deranged whispers and the unsettling images. Their eyes begin to water and freeze on their cheeks. They begin to scratch at their skin and draw blood. They start to become noticeably more and more irritable, fists clinching around their spears...

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
I'm going to communicate briefly with them. It won't be anything complex. But I'll pay close attention to their goblin dialect and inflections and converse with them the best I'm able. Let me know what gets through.

On the Past

A little under a week ago, two families of refugees showed up at Earthmaw. They were both brutally road-weary and one family was stricken by illness. One family pushed on to the Coldlands while the other stayed at Earthmaw due to the sickness (he describes exposure and pneumonia). He doesn't know what became of either family because his band (well, his former band, he acknowledges) set out a few days later to brave the harsh winter, the maddened beasts, and whatever was infecting this land, in order to make it to this settlement. They figured there would be plenty of human plunder to be had now that this place was nothing more than a ruin.

On this I'll boldly and simply say: "There will be no plunder to be had here. This is a ruin and burial site of a proud and noble people. Their legacy will not be despoiled. Understood?"

On Earthmaw

They can guide you there no problem. Earthmaw is their home and they were planning on coming back with all the plunder they could carry. It will be an extremely difficult, 3 day journey. The sky is filled with hungry predators and the earth is littered with aberrant beasts, transformed after drinking from the great meltwater lake. The goblin shamans warn that its been poisoned or diseased by Maglubiyet, a goblinoid diety. They say its punishment for forsaking him and venerating Kord. The two brothers spit and sneer after relaying that.

"Your shamans have it very wrong. It may be 'of the water' but the poison is not in the water and it doesn't get in through your mouth. Its in the air and it gets in through your ears. It is not a punishment from any god. At least no god that is invested in this world.

We will soon find out why this infectious madness is taking place near great bodies of water. But first we need to get to Earthmaw and hopefully speak to, and aid, the family that stayed there."

You can tell without a doubt that the goblins are starting to be affected by the onslaught of the deranged whispers and the unsettling images. Their eyes begin to water and freeze on their cheeks. They begin to scratch at their skin and draw blood. They start to become noticeably more and more irritable, fists clinching around their spears...

I take my backup winter cloak off and fold it over my arm, trying hard not to visibly shiver in the freezing cold. I point to myself. "Otthor." I pronounce it slow and emphatically. Pointing in the direction that she left, I say "Saerie." I hand my winter cloak to one of the goblin brothers. "Take this to Saerie and tell her I said for her to put it on. I want you all to wait for me out there while I investigate one more thing. That headache that you have. Those whispers that you hear. That is the poison that you shaman spoke of. It will claim you if you do not leave now."

When I watch them go I call to them from afar, "I will see you soon."

Per Manbearcat
Although they clearly don't get every word, you're quite satisfied that enough of your words and the force behind them were comprehended by your new goblin companions. They take the winter cloak and head off toward Saerie, turning to acknowledge your final words.

Both the whispers and the biting cold assail all aspects of your senses. You know you cannot remain too terribly long in this place lest you be overcome by one, the other, or both.

I waste no time heading straight for the cottage that we stayed in last evening. I'm going to pull a bit of a Rambo here. I'm going to take one of the goatskin blankets or area rugs that we used to cover up with and sleep on and I'm going to attempt to, very quickly, cut out a makeshift coat. I just want to cut some holes for my arms and head and basically treat it like a poncho. I'll spend 1 of my 3 remaining Adventuring Gear usages for sufficient rope to cinch it around the waste. I'll use whatever remains as a heavy scarf to cover my neck, nose and ears.

Per Manbearcat
I'll give you a choice here. Since you spent 1 AG on this, you can automatically have a DD 7-9 result without rolling any dice. The poncho will be sufficient, but only hold together for a few days, probably (hopefully) long enough to make the Perilous Journey (the goblins know the way so it qualifies) to Earthmaw. Or, if you want to gamble, you can roll the dice DD (Int). You can make a quality enough item to serve you as normal with a 10 +

I'd only need a 4 to match the 7-9, but I actually have a bit of a bad feeling on this one...Ahh, to hell with it.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Int)
4, 1 + 3 = 8[/sblock]

Alright, same thing. Hopefully good enough to last to Earthmaw where maybe I can trade up.

Once finished, I pull it over my head and put the scarf around my neck. I then grab the oil lamp and see if I can find any remaining tinder twigs to light it before I spend another AG.

[sblock]Discern Realities (Wis)
5, 3 + 0 = 8.

1 question and + 1 forward when acting on it.

What here is useful to me?[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Your search yields the last remaining tindertwig in the small cabin. It lights quickly and the lantern provides warmth and sufficient, moralizing light.

I take one last quick look at the place that provided us shelter and warmth in these inhospitable lands. I momentarily grieve for the family and give thanks for the respite. I turn quickly and head for the cellar of the ruined building where we initially heard those odd murmurs last evening. When I get there, I pull the slat up and open the doors one at a time with my free hand. I slowly and quietly draw my fine elven blade and head down the steps, lantern leading. What do I see?

Per Manbearcat
The darkness gives way to the light of the lantern. The wooden steps are much more creaky than you'd like.

When you reach the bottom, a horrific scene greets you, much like the one you saw on the way here. Something has burst forth from a cocoon with squishy membrane of the same color that you saw in the common building and on the way here. Viscous material covers the walls, ceilings, and floor in a disgusting, pink goo.

Amateurish runes have been scrawled on the floor. Someone who didn't know what they were doing tried to scribe a circle of protection or binding or some combination thereof. Floor shackles to manacle legs have been burst. The same fate occurred for a straight-jacket.

On the stone walls, there is a prayer to the Goddess of Change scrawled with sandstone or quartz:

"Avandra, we give unto you our precious son so that he may blossom in your fold. Take him and reshape him in your vision if it is your will. Make him more beautiful than before or please, please, have mercy on him and end his suffering."

The cellar is filled with pails and poles to carry buckets of water and all the equipment necessary for a distillery and brewery. There are some remnant blocks of cheese and spirits that you can use for the road (2 rations).

As before, a fine trail of that viscous goo leads leads away from the site. This time it leads down a long, darkened hall from which cold air rushes into the room from.

I don't have much time. If this takes too long, Saerie will begin to worry and come after me. Can't have that. Lantern leading, I'll follow the trail a very short distance. If I don't get somewhere in short order, I'm turning back.

Per Manbearcat
It doesn't take long. The stonework has been opened directly to the wall of the bluff that faces the great lake below. The settlers have created a well-crafted basket elevator on a ledge that overlooks a grand view. In its normal position, where it is now, the simple winch and pulley system has the basket hoisted to its sitting position on the ledge.

The "goo trail" moves directly off the ledge, under it and straight down the vertical descent to the ground. The grand lake lies just beyond that but, from this vantage high above, it appears that the blizzard may have removed all traces of the trail from the snowy beach below.

I rush back, grab the usable rations, and head to Saerie. I'll put out the lantern and keep it for the road. When I arrive, I'll tell her what I've found. Hopefully the goblin has fixed the rigging for the sleds and we can be off soon. Its going to be a long trek to Earthmaw. I'll agree with whatever role she wishes me to take for the 3 day journey.

[sblock]Undertake a Perilous Journey (Wis)
5, 3 + 0 = 8[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads