D&D 5E I'm feeling really good about 5E, but where to from here?

Mercurius

Legend
There are some glitches, of course - some bad print batches, a bunch of rules lacking clarity, a few poor art pieces, and a handful of disgruntled FOPEs (Fans of Previous Editions), but overall my verdict so far is: 5E is terrific. I feel optimistic about D&D's future, that WotC has really created an excellent game with a lot of promise.

Perhaps my one lingering concern is that of support. Of course the game is, or will be, playable with just the Holy Trinity of books, and I certainly agree with the idea that 3E and 4E went "splat-crazy" - one hardcover a month was just too much. But I'm concerned that we won't see any splats - I mean, from 10-12 a year to...none? Or will we see one or two? We can verify one for next year, although it is specific to a story arc. So maybe one per story arc and, presumably, two major story arcs per year? I'd still like to see 2-4 per year, not unlike Pathfinder's release schedule, but at this point we simply don't know.

And what about settings and adventures? Story arcs are one thing, but what about one-off adventures? I admit to missing the 1E days, with the iconic adventures that just screamed "play me." I also admit to missing the 2E days, with the wealth of settings, multiple lines going at once.

Now I don't expect 5E to have the splats of 3E/4E, the settings of 2E, and the adventures of 1E - and to be honest, I don't really want them to because I don't think it would be sustainable. But I'd like to see something, and so far it is unclear what direction they are going to take.

But again, all of that is within a broader context of appreciation and feeling good about the game. Good times, indeed!

Meliath42

First Post
I would like to see WOTC get on board with supplying products that are designed for support of online gaming (e.g. Roll20). Since being forced to follow my employer to another state its the only way my group gets together these days. I'm sure the bean counters at Hasbro have pushed for a product lineup to support 5E...but hopefully WOTC will be the governing body to the actual amount that gets put out. Pathfinder had a great idea when they started the story arc subscriptions but that was something I couldn't possibly support with the time it takes my group to move thru a module. Had to cancel after the first series.

There are some glitches, of course - some bad print batches, a bunch of rules lacking clarity, a few poor art pieces, and a handful of disgruntled FOPEs (Fans of Previous Editions), but overall my verdict so far is: 5E is terrific. I feel optimistic about D&D's future, that WotC has really created an excellent game with a lot of promise.

Perhaps my one lingering concern is that of support. Of course the game is, or will be, playable with just the Holy Trinity of books, and I certainly agree with the idea that 3E and 4E went "splat-crazy" - one hardcover a month was just too much. But I'm concerned that we won't see any splats - I mean, from 10-12 a year to...none? Or will we see one or two? We can verify one for next year, although it is specific to a story arc. So maybe one per story arc and, presumably, two major story arcs per year? I'd still like to see 2-4 per year, not unlike Pathfinder's release schedule, but at this point we simply don't know.

And what about settings and adventures? Story arcs are one thing, but what about one-off adventures? I admit to missing the 1E days, with the iconic adventures that just screamed "play me." I also admit to missing the 2E days, with the wealth of settings, multiple lines going at once.

Now I don't expect 5E to have the splats of 3E/4E, the settings of 2E, and the adventures of 1E - and to be honest, I don't really want them to because I don't think it would be sustainable. But I'd like to see something, and so far it is unclear what direction they are going to take.

But again, all of that is within a broader context of appreciation and feeling good about the game. Good times, indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJuhd9xFRg

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Repeat 5 times:

Play it and get other people to play it

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just this one guy's opinion (FWIW), but what I see/would like to see:

* WotC focuses on the IP. While official release of books (MM2, Planescape, etc) would still happen, albeit at a much slower rate than previous editions, WotC places most of the emphasis on expanding the influence of the IP. This includes things like direct support for things like Roll20, online PC generators (I'd love to see something similar to the 2e CD ROM), video games, cartoon, toys. It's freaking HASBRO for Christ's sake.
* Adventure modules would mostly be provided by 3rd party publishers. Maybe some sort of quality control in place with licenses, but let the 3rd parties provide the meat of the adventures. IMO, this is how you bridge all editions. For example, Kobold Press puts forth a more modern aesthetic and design, while someone like me puts out something that looks like it would fit right next to the early 80s stuff. You have all previous edition styles available to play with the 5e ruleset
* Continue with AL, but have a bunch of options where adventures can be completed in one long setting that aren't tied to any particular campaign world, and can be drag-and-dropped into home campaigns. Very similar to the AD&D modules in this way. I suspect one-shot adventures are already being done after HotDQ, but I also see them all tied to FR. A pity.

Li Shenron

Legend
Perhaps my one lingering concern is that of support.

We are certainly going to get both supplements and adventures. We are in fact already getting the latter, maybe they are not that many, but we get them.

To fully honest tho, I am not that interested in "support". Even tho I did buy my share of books in the 3e era, my original attitude towards a new edition of D&D is to grab the core books and then retreat to my cave and play my own creations with my friends, rather than "keep up" with publications. In fact, I detest the whole idea that I have to "keep up" with the community, and if that's required for a certain hobby I am probably just staying away from that hobby as a whole.

OTOH I am clearly not against support... if designers want to publish and gamers want to buy, it's all good for me.

DracoSuave

First Post
I'm thirsty for more options--more archtypes, backgrounds, and even a few more classes. So long as these things are used to bolster imaginative characters I'm all for it. Power level concerns, however--I'm of the opinion that certain kinds of 'options' like 'math fix feats' and such should go the way of the dodo. I'm glad to not see their ilk here.

Nivenus

First Post
I expect we'll hear something around New Year's after the DMG comes out. Setting books seem the most likely thing to come out next: probably Forgotten Realms but you never know, WotC might surprise us all with a new take on Greyhawk or Planescape to please the old crowd. After that we'll see. A lot's riding obviously on the long-term sales of 5e and they won't really have a handle on that until probably six months or more from now (though the PHB at least has been selling quite well in the short term I hear).

HobbitFan

Explorer
They haven't explained their plans, neither in the short-term nor in the long-term either.

What's the plan for what used to be the magazines Dungeon and Dragon?
What's the plan for campaign settings?
What's the plan for future game releases after the DMG?
What's the plan for novels?
What tie-in products do they have planned with other companies?
What beginner youtube videos are they planning to do?
Do they plan on doing a starter product for beginners?

Remove ads