Removal of Bonus Actions and Extra Actions

Sadrik

First Post
All instances of bonus actions and extra actions are removed. They become one of three things: Reactions, Extra attacks, or are simply incorporated into an action.

Why remove them?
Swift actions were added in later 3.5e, and bonus actions grew out of that. They ask a player/DM to maximize their actions each round, otherwise they are not using their resources appropriately. They add a level of tactical complexity that is not interesting and too much effort for what you get out of them. They are inconsistently applied throughout the system (touch attacks vs. paladin smites etc).
This makes it more like editions 1 through 3. The game can work fine without them. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Sadrik

First Post
1of3 care to comment on the idea of removing this game element. I am guessing you may not agree with the idea of removing them. Do you have other insights like unforeseen consequences or things that might cause problems.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
You are limited to only 1 bonus action.

By making them other things, like extra attacks you are adding more attacks, so you might want to figure out how to limit that. Otherwise the player will still do what you are fighting against which is action economy issues and it will just change to how many extra attacks can I stack each round, and if I dont do that i am not maximizing my potential.

Sadrik

First Post

By making them other things, like extra attacks you are adding more attacks, so you might want to figure out how to limit that. Otherwise the player will still do what you are fighting against which is action economy issues and it will just change to how many extra attacks can I stack each round, and if I dont do that i am not maximizing my potential.

I hear what you are saying. Very valid points and something to look at closely. Thinking about this though I am uncertain you can get too many extra attacks. You actually likely get more attacks through the bonus action and extra action economy than you do through this house rule. The reason: Extra Actions like haste and action surge. So (<#ofBaseAttacks>+<#ofExtraAttacks>+<#ofBonusActionAttacks>)*(1+<#ofExtraActions>) rather than (<#ofBaseAttacks>+<#ofExtraAttacks>). The rules as written may wind up being more attacks per encounter than the change would add.

Theoretically you could have a martial arts extra attack and a two weapon fighting extra attack coupled with the regular number of attacks. In raw you would have to pick which one to use, here you could get both. This seems to be the extreme outlier, these two extra attacks have their own limitations (1d4 damage and light weapon with no stat damage). Is it limited enough.

One last thing, is the extra action economy fluff worth it? Does it substantially add something to the game? I would imagine where it does add something is with making the monsters more complex and tactically interesting. I don't have the MM yet but based on the playtest and the basic rules I would say that is a major area of Bonus and Extra action rules growth (along with the new "smite" like spells).

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Agree with Wrathamon, this is just replacing the word 'bonus' with 'extra' and then removing the stacking limitation that the Bonus rules enforce.

Bonus enforces a limit to things that we otherwise want to do as extra actions. Linking them to specific Actions prevents them from becoming an action slot you need to use no matter what - like the minor or swift action.

Sadrik

First Post

Another consideration with this, is that in addition to the bonus action you also get an action, a reaction, and a chance to move. Then you also get extra attacks and extra actions. This is moving some of the complexity to a more consistent action economy where you do not even think action economy.
An action which can include extra attacks
Move as you normally would
A reaction

Linking them to specific Actions prevents them from becoming an action slot you need to use no matter what - like the minor or swift action.

Yes this is what I was attempting to eliminate. No need to have healing word with cure wounds. One exists as a rules outcrop.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
This is moving some of the complexity to a more consistent action economy where you do not even think action economy.

I think that's wishful thinking. Players who think about maximising the action economy don't stop just because it got reshuffled.

Right off the bat I'm thinking Rogue just got a boost, monk just got a boost, and fighter got nerfed past level 5. Given your dislike of Healing Word it wouldn't be a surprise to think Second Wind got axed too in a related house rule.

Two weapon fighting rogue/monk gets 2 weapon attacks, 1 martial arts (which adds stat to damage), plus a Ki flurry (which adds stat to damage) and can still Cunning action. By the book they get 1 attack plus either off-hand, ma, flurry or cunning action.

Pure rogue gets 2 weapon plus Cunning action and pure monk can now twf (or better still Polearm Mastery at 4th with the quarterstaff), martial arts, and flurry.

No need to have healing word with cure wounds. One exists as a rules outcrop.
Healing Word exists so Clerics can heal and do something else. The simpler solution is to just ban Healing Word and the other bonus action healing. Which I think is completely valid as a house rule because some tables dislike the Heal+fun stuff paradigm. There are players where Healing is the fun stuff.

Sadrik

First Post
I think that's wishful thinking. Players who think about maximising the action economy don't stop just because it got reshuffled.

I hear your point however, there is simply less to maximize while removing bonus and extra actions.

Right off the bat I'm thinking Rogue just got a boost, monk just got a boost, and fighter got nerfed past level 5.

Two weapon fighting rogue/monk gets 2 weapon attacks, 1 martial arts (which adds stat to damage), plus a Ki flurry (which adds stat to damage) and can still Cunning action. By the book they get 1 attack plus either off-hand, ma, flurry or cunning action.

Pure rogue gets 2 weapon plus Cunning action and pure monk can now twf (or better still Polearm Mastery at 4th with the quarterstaff), martial arts, and flurry.
Yup, these are good. I do not have an issue with these as laid out here. Doing an extra couple of points of damage does not bother me for monk or rogue. I feel like what you gain is so much more than having two classes do a couple more points of damage, when that is really their schtick anyway.

Healing Word exists so Clerics can heal and do something else. The simpler solution is to just ban Healing Word and the other bonus action healing. Which I think is completely valid as a house rule because some tables dislike the Heal+fun stuff paradigm. There are players where Healing is the fun stuff.
Missing the point that the rules outcrop from the bonus action economy created this spell and there are many spells that this happened with. I am not against Healing word, I am against rules that add rulesy rules for the sake of rules. Simplicity is the best option. Bonus action and extra action economy can be added to the game, it is simply not a requirement for the game to function and further clutters the game with gamey concepts that are not applied equally or thoroughly throughout the game.

Sadrik

First Post
How I would change action surge, cunning action, haste, and the bonus action spells.

Action Surge
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one extra attack on top of your regular attacks.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

Cunning Action
Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can double your speed until your next turn.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

Haste
3rd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a shaving of licorice root)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Choose a willing creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the target’s speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an extra attack on each of its turns.
When the spell ends, the target can’t move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it.

Name Level School Ritual Casting Time Concentration Source (change)
Banishing Smite 5th Abjuration 1 bonus action yes phb 216 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Blinding Smite 3rd Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 219 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Branding Smite 2nd Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 219 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Compelled Duel 1st Enchantment 1 bonus action yes phb 224 (1 action)
Divine Favor 1st Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 234 (1 action)
Divine Word 7th Evocation 1 bonus action phb 234 (1 action)
Ensnaring Strike 1st Conjuration 1 bonus action yes phb 237 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Expeditious Retreat 1st Transmutation 1 bonus action yes phb 238 (1 action)
Flame Blade 2nd Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 242 (1 action)
Grasping Vine 4th Conjuration 1 bonus action yes phb 246 (1 action)
Hail of Thorns 1st Conjuration 1 bonus action yes phb 249 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Healing Word 1st Evocation 1 bonus action phb 250 (1 reaction)
Hex 1st Enchantment 1 bonus action yes phb 251 (1 action)
Hunter's Mark 1st Divination 1 bonus action yes phb 251 (1 action)
Lightning Arrow 3rd Transmutation 1 bonus action yes phb 255 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Magic Weapon 2nd Transmutation 1 bonus action yes phb 257 (1 action)
Mass Healing Word 3rd Evocation 1 bonus action phb 258 (1 reaction)
Misty Step 2nd Conjuration 1 bonus action phb 260 (1 action)
Sanctuary 1st Abjuration 1 bonus action phb 272 (1 action)
Searing Smite 1st Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 274 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Shield of Faith 1st Abjuration 1 bonus action yes phb 275 (1 action)
Shillelagh Cantrip Transmutation 1 bonus action phb 275 (1 action)
Spiritual Weapon 2nd Evocation 1 bonus action phb 278 (1 action)
Staggering Smite 4th Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 278 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Swift Quiver 5th Transmutation 1 bonus action yes phb 279 (1 action)
Thunderous Smite 1st Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 282 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)
Wrathful Smite 1st Evocation 1 bonus action yes phb 289 (1 action, and attack with the weapon)

Sadrik

First Post
Second Wind, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Directing stuff

Second Wind
You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use an action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Two-Weapon Fighting
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you gain an extra attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand. You don’t add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

Spells, magic items and other things that require a bonus action to direct:
Things that require a bonus action to direct them instead require the director to use their reaction to direct them on their turn.

Remove ads