D&D 5E scroll prices

evilbob

Explorer
So potions and scrolls are not supposed to be too hard to find (generally speaking), but I didn't find any ideas on pricing for scrolls. (Or potions other than the ones in the PHB, actually.) Did I just miss them or are we all just waiting for the DMG?

Paraxis

Explorer
Hopefully waiting for DMG, but no magic item pricing has been confirmed.

For the time being you could use
50 level 1
300 level 2
750 level 3

Hereticus

First Post
So potions and scrolls are not supposed to be too hard to find (generally speaking), but I didn't find any ideas on pricing for scrolls. (Or potions other than the ones in the PHB, actually.) Did I just miss them or are we all just waiting for the DMG?

Typical artisan work can be done at 5 gold worth of goods per day, and material costs half that. However this would not require that the artisan be any greater than first level.

Scrolls cost 50 gold per level to write, and take two hours per level. However it takes a higher level spellcaster to write scrolls of higher levels.

The trend would be that items are worth twice the value of the material that went into them, at the lowest level of creator. If I were to set the costs, I would sell scrolls at 100 gold times the spell level squared.

Sadras

Legend
It seems ridiculous that Cure Wounds spell (lower levels) and the Potion of Healing would be anything more than a few gold at most. With hit point recovery being so easy, 50 gold or more for a potion or Cure Wounds service seems excessive for just hit points.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Lets see what you think when you need that cure wounds potion in the middle of combat when all your other healing options are exhausted :)

Warder

Sadras

Legend
Lets see what you think when you need that cure wounds potion in the middle of combat when all your other healing options are exhausted :)

Warder

Do not get me wrong, I understand full well the use of a Healing Spell or Healing Potion in the middle of combat, I just cannot justify the cost of 50GP or more given the existence of a HD mechanic and standard HP recuperation.
IMO, the base cost is wrong, and it just gets incredibly worse comparatively for Cure Wounds Spells of levels above 1. However, I will concede that if there was an attached wound system - whereby the Healing Potion or Spell cured the Wound along with the HP, then that would make the cost much easier to accept.
But I understand that this is probably my issue, wonder if anyone else has a similar view, or am I solo on this one :)

Paraxis

Explorer
What makes the this situation with healing potions more odd is the disparity between a healing potion and a healer's kit, which if you have some in the party with the healer feat is like a having a stack of 20 healing potions for 5gp.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
What makes the this situation with healing potions more odd is the disparity between a healing potion and a healer's kit, which if you have some in the party with the healer feat is like a having a stack of 20 healing potions for 5gp.
That would be 10 healing potions. A healer's kit has 10 uses.
So, how much is a feat worth. Do you want to spend your first feat on Healer so you don't have to buy healing potions?
And remember, the "Healer" in the party might not be able to reach you right away during combat. Or he might be down and need the healing himself. That potion can be (and usually is) a life saver.

Tormyr

Adventurer

That would be 10 healing potions. A healer's kit has 10 uses.
So, how much is a feat worth. Do you want to spend your first feat on Healer so you don't have to buy healing potions?
And remember, the "Healer" in the party might not be able to reach you right away during combat. Or he might be down and need the healing himself. That potion can be (and usually is) a life saver.

I think the equivalent of 10 healing potions for 5gp is a tremendous value and makes the feat a valid choice for some players. It won't be useful all the time, but it could definitely help out a party.

As for prices, 50gp for a potion of healing, so mayber 100 gp for a potion of greater healing. And some sort of scaling for scrolls. Starting at 100gp for level 1 (double the creation cost, and scaling up somehow (fobonacci - 100, 200, 300, 500, 800, 1300, 2100, 3400, 5500; level squared - 100, 400, 900, 1600, 2500, 3600, 4900, 6400, 8100; or something else). The DMG will probably cover this in a month, but if you choose a reasonable scale to tide you over it should work.

Remove ads