D&D 5E Draconic Resilience & Mage Armor

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
No.

Both set the base AC of the character; neither provide a modifier to the AC, so they don't stack.

I wrote a little bit about AC in 5e on my blog, which might help clarify things.

Cheers!

Tormyr

Adventurer
This has come up before, and I think the answer is, "no." Mage Armor doesn't add 3 to AC. It sets AC to 13+dex. I imagine that draconic bloodline is similar in that it sets AC instead of adding to it.

tragicjones

First Post
For reference, this is discussed on p. 14 in the PHB: "Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use." So a Sorcerer with Draconic Resilience would not benefit at all from Mage Armor.

Keep in mind that the value of the class feature is better than being able to cast mage armor at will, since it isn't going to vanish if hit with a dispel magic. With sorcerers having so few spell slots, getting the effects of a 1st level spell for free is already a great feature without needing to stack.

zicar

First Post
For reference, this is discussed on p. 14 in the PHB: "Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use." So a Sorcerer with Draconic Resilience would not benefit at all from Mage Armor.

So, a shield would not stack with Mage Armor but would it with Draconic Resilience?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases