D&D 5E Death Domain and Oathbreaker preview

Phaezen

First Post
1909176_10152774106171071_7378893321291205487_o.jpg

From the Wizards FaceBook page

https://www.facebook.com/dungeonsan...40321070/10152774106171071/?type=1&permPage=1

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Interesting that these two are definitely the only two new "evil" PC options in the DMG. It makes sense that this death domain, designed for NPCs, focuses on damage rather than raising undead, much like the oathbreaker's aura only affecting demons and undead.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
It makes sense that neither have much utility and focus solely on combat capabilities since they're supposed to be for NPCs. But I must say I am a little unimpressed with the death domain. The features to me feel quite generic, with the only thing relating them to their respective themes being flavor text and damage types. It doesn't even have any interactions with undead apart from domain spells that are for the most part already on the cleric spell list.

Boarstorm

First Post
Oathbreaker seems pretty strong. I really want to see the rules for adding class abilities to monsters now. I mean, I can kludge it up, but I'd like to know how the official rules roll.

Ketser

First Post
Well, it seems that the hordes of undead minions stuff is now more of a necromancer than a cleric thing.

I'm actually not getting why the heck this option (death cleric) is in the DMG. It seems that they have made it more generic and less undead focused to accommodate a larger number of death or death-oriented deities. You could replace animate dead with some other spell and you can get a cleric of Kelemvor or Raven Queen.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I have an oathbreaker paladin NPC in my game, and sooner or later she's going to go up against the party's paladin. It'll be fun to see how his immunity to fear neuters one of her most potent weapons.

Remove ads