Running Games without the PHB

steve_625

First Post
I'm thinking of buying either Spycraft or Farscape but I am put off a bit by the requirement to have the PHB (which of course is a requirement of the d20 licence). Now, if I have to I will buy the PHB I will, but given that I'm never going to run a fantasy game this does seem like a bit of a waste of money.

If I did attempt to run either of the two games without the handbook what would I be missing? I know that they don't include the table showing how many XPs are needed per level but what else is missing that is really essential?

All you need from the PhB is the experience table, same for the DMG. Not sure how the DMG formula works, but the XP formula for XP/level is:
old level*1000+XP needed for last level, thus:
To level to 5th is 4000 xp after you get 4th.
To level to 11th, you need 10,000 past 10th.
etc. etc.

I'm sure with this formula, you can build your own XP table. Other than that, everything you need to play is included in the books (or, at least, should be), and so you should be ready to play.

Ranger REG

Explorer
If you don't want D&D Player's Handbook, then how about choosing one of the other core rulebooks by Wizards of the Coast:

Call of Cthulhu d20
Star Wars
d20 Modern
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (but this is fantasy and you have stated you won't be running fantasy games).

They are all d20 System products, and they have the crucial content needed to run Spycraft.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Spycraft has everything you need - and a great game too

(ie imho you don't need the Xp table or the stat generation rules)

Voneth

First Post
I see that you have three options.

1.) I am running a d20 Farscape game right now ... with the Mutants and Mastermind rules, which don't need the PHB at all.

I don't know if I would really use MnM for just the XP chart since the game uses a completely different character creation system. It is often easier to just use MnM to model the game you want since it a flexible super powers game. MnM is $32 for an amazing d20 game engine that lets you do a lot with little tweaking.

2.) If you never plan to use Middle Ages fantasy game, check out d20 Modern. You can use the basics for your other games, and its a lot more flexible than DnD and has a modern twist. d20 Modern is like getting a abbrevated PHB, DMG and MM (totaled up to $60 in the early days and now goes for $90) for only $40.

3.) I ran d20 Castle Falkenstein for months with only the PHB. Later with 3rd party products, I ran d20 Deadlands and other wild stuff. PHB costs $30.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases