The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (trailer)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I can't wait to see the how Jackson not only milk's the Hobbit, but also the 15 different endings!

[video=youtube;iVAgTiBrrDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA[/video]

Ugh. I'm such a grognard, but this looks like :):):):) to me. In protest, I will intentionally conk myself in the head at the start of the Battle of Five Armies so, like Bilbo, I just wake up at the end.

HobbitFan

Explorer
What I don't like about the Hobbit movies is the extent that Jackson's material is overwhelming content actually from Professor Tolkien's book.

The more overblown action pieces he throws in and more made-up characters he adds, the less and less the movies resemble the source material.

That bugs me, big time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My opinion is similar to HobbitFan's, but not exactly the same.

I don't mind the action sequences. I think visual appeal is pretty much required in the movies these days. The drama, emotions, comedy, plot, and all I can get from my home television soon enough that I don't need to see it in a theater. In fact, often series do drama better than movies, due to tie considerations. And my TV is pretty darned awesome, so the only reasons to see a movie in the theater, are social aspects (going with friends) and visuals I can't quite get at home. Being pretty isn't sufficient, but it is necessary.

However, I find that most of Jackson's changes and additions just aren't as good as the original.

Some of the changes make some characters (specifically Thorin and Thranduil) into things they weren't. Uncomplimentary things. I'm not sure I care for it.

And the whole kind of gets in the way of the personal story of Bilbo's growth as a person.

Also, making the return of Sauron so blatant runs a bit in conflict with the Lord of the Rings. If he *knows* Sauron is back, and he *knows* there's a ring... Gandalf does not wait an entire generation to deal with it, unless he's a moron! Thranduil's behavior makes little sense if it is so clear to be such a huge danger. The Necromancer needed to be left a question, not a known quantity.

I blame Tolkien for having written so much material to draw on.....if not for all that back story info spread over books and a waste basket, i'm sure The Hobbit would have just been two movies if not one.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I blame Tolkien for having written so much material to draw on.....if not for all that back story info spread over books and a waste basket, i'm sure The Hobbit would have just been two movies if not one.

I blame Jackson for not resisting the urge to draw on it. It isn't necessary. The Hobbit was pleasantly self-contained.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm disappointed with the action bloat of the hobbit movies, and the way that Peter Jackson introduces new characters, changes the demeanor of existing characters and appears to be completely messing up the wonderful journey to hero that bilbo takes in the book.

I re-read it after the desolation of smaug and was struck by how dramatic the scenes on the mountain would have been if they had bothered to follow the book.

Ah well.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's an interpretation to me. I see it as a different entity to the book. Differences from the book are not a flaw to me; same as differences in superhero movies to the comics.

I honestly don't care about book accuracy. I liked the book as a kid. I like the movies now (though I think the LotR movies were better).

Remove ads