Urban Ranger?

neg

Explorer
I swore I read a prestige class or just a normal class called the Urban Ranger, or something very close to it. But I am at a complete loss as to where I saw it (WoTC book, Non-WoTC, magazine, Monte Cook's). I have flicked through my books and can't seem to find it.

Anyone have an idea where it is?

Basic idea is instead of the forrest or wilderness being the main home and hangout for the typical ranger, an Urban Ranger would be comfortable in a city center and have a different skill set as a result.

I thought a thief/Urban Ranger would be a cool class/character at some point.

-Neg

Mr Fidgit

First Post
there's a Watch Detective in Masters of the Wild (along with other info on urban rangers). is that it?

[edit - spelling :eek: ]

Last edited:

neg

Explorer
Great! I was looking through it, but I was looking at the traditional Prestige Classes. I didn't notice the variant portion. Thanks for the help.

-Neg

Chun-tzu

First Post
I'd love to see a complete version of the Urban Ranger. Few guidelines are given on revising the Ranger's spell list. It also seems a little off to me for this kind of character to be a divine spellcaster. I'd use the Rokugan suggestion of granting bonus feats every time the Ranger would normally gain a new spell level.

Spatula

Explorer
Chun-tzu said:
I'd love to see a complete version of the Urban Ranger. Few guidelines are given on revising the Ranger's spell list. It also seems a little off to me for this kind of character to be a divine spellcaster. I'd use the Rokugan suggestion of granting bonus feats every time the Ranger would normally gain a new spell level.
One of the players in my group is playing an urban ranger, maybe he can post his spell list here. I think he took everything on the list that was nature-related and subbed it out for something more person-related (charm person for animal friendship, frex).

As for being a divine spellcaster - the source of spells for a regular ranger (and druid) is kind of vague. How and why does "nature" grant spells? Anyway, replace nature with civilization or the spirit of the cities - some sort of divine power is generated by the massive number of people living & dying in such close proximity to one another. Or if your rangers get their powers from nature gods, urban rangers would get their powers from gods of community, like Yondolla.

LostSoul

Adventurer
The PHB Ranger class, as is, can be pretty impressive in the city. The spell list is great for spying and communicating through the city. You might want to change Wilderness Lore for Urban Lore and have it do similar things, but that's about the biggest change that needs to be made.

Spatula

Explorer
One other comment on MOTW's suggested changes to make the urban ranger: replacing Track (a useful ability that very few classes can even be good in) with Shadow (+2 to Hide and Spot) is a big loss. I'm sure there's got to be a better feat to replace Track with, or maybe it should be left in there (working off of Search instead of Wilderness Lore).

drothgery

First Post
Well, the spell list I'm using for my urban ranger hasn't been playtested much (my character just picked up his first first-level spell), but here it is:

1st level: Alarm, Charm Person, Detect Poison, Delay Poison, Detect Secret Doors, Grease, Magic Weapon, Pass Without Trace, Read Magic, Resist Elements, Message, Summon Monster I

2nd level: Remove Paralysis, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Hold Person, Protection from Elements, Sleep, Snare, Detect Thoughts, Summon Monster II

3rd level: Discern Lies, Invisibility, Greater Magic Weapon, Neutralize Poison, Phantom Steed, Cure Moderate Wounds, Water Walk, Summon Monster III

4th level: Cure Serious Wounds, Freedom of Movement, Nondetection, Polymorph Self, Summon Monster IV, Dimension Door, Wind Wall

The basic idea was to take the 'wilderness' Ranger spells and replace them one for one with more approriate 'urban' spells where possible, taking spells mostly from the Bard list, but in a few cases I raided the Paladin list). When I couldn't find an exact match, I fudged things a bit. The third level spells have the least correspondence there; except for swapping Greater Magic Fang for Greater Magic Weapon, there wasn't an obvious swap.

Remove ads