Hero Lab

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
4 out of 5 rating for Hero Lab

I use Hero Lab on my iPad at the game table, and it has completely supplanted pen, paper, character sheets, and dice for me. Recent updates which make the system able to create and level up Pathfinder characters on the mobile device, rather than having to do it on your PC and then transferring the file across, addressed the major issue with the software. It's not very pretty, but it's powerful, auto-calculates everything for you down to the tiniest modifiers, and even makes die rolls for you (though it doesn't have to). Highly recommended; it would get one more star if it was prettier and slightly less fiddly at times. Definitely the current standard for software of its type.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
2 out of 5 rating for Hero Lab

Good features, very useful if you play with Fantasy Grounds 2 - but if you are someone wanting all the material, you will have to pay an arm and leg for this one. Even with the bundles, it is way too expensive considering you are basically paying for what is in the books already. If there would be a cheaper subscription model, it would be a 4 or even a 5, but the way it is now it is not useful if you have a slim purse - or ust refuse to overpay.

If you do not own the books, you can consider it a 3 star.

Last edited:

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter

Hi,So it is a good character generation tool if you are playing Pathfinder. it bugs now and then due to updates, but a helpful community helps you sort it out in no time.It's a budget though, because once you start ...

Agamon

Adventurer

Very useful char gen program, especially considering the different systems it encompasses. Also quite useful at the table as a combat tracker. UI is functional, but could use an upgrade, as does the pdf creator (sheets don't always print out the way I like).

JLant

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Hero Lab

Really speeds up character creation, especially for chunky systems like PF or M&M. Pricey but worth it in time saving.

Shortly after I started playing Pathfinder in 2010, I first heard about Hero Labs. Being a user of Hero Forge during my 3.5 days, I thought I would give the free demo a try. From that moment on, Hero Labs changed the way I play RPG's for the better.First, from a users perspective, the design and layout are intuitive and easy to navigate. Hero Labs uses a tab design which breaks your character up into different sections; e.g. Background, abilities, class, weapons, armor, magic, gear, loot, etc.By far, the greatest benefit of Hero Labs is the In Play, Adjustments and Conditions tabs, which allow you to turn on or off spells, feats, buffs and debuffs with a click of the mouse. Particularly in high-level play, Hero Labs allows you to apply multiple effects to your character without needing an advanced degree in mathematics. The calculations aren't flawless, but Lone Wolf seems to be on top of any glitches that are reported, and tend to correct them quickly.The In Play tab also allows you to track HP, and consumable resources like rations, ammunition, potions, wand charges, and any other depleteable resourse.The price tag for Hero Labs can be pretty steep, but I would not recommend buying the core rulebook and every possible supplement all at once. The basic core rulebook and Advanced Players Guide will give you everything you need to get started, and I found that adding a supplement a month has created a very large Hero Labs library for me.Overall, this is an AMAZING product; I really don't know how I gamed without it.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter

Yeah - that sums it up. Great program and great support and in my book a must have to keep up with the feat and rules bloat PF is now moving into with all the books and add ons.

Remove ads