Gelatinous Cube Questions

Latency

First Post
What happens to the bodies and items that are trapped in a gelatinous cube when the cube dies. I ask this due to the fact that last night out Party Cleric 8 and Druid 8 were consumed and died inside one. The whole Encounter took place in magical darkness. The Cleric was long dead before the cube died but I however was Just dying -2 hp. I made my stabilization check but the DM ruled that the acid damage would still continue after the cube died. Now the questions

What happens to a cube when it dies, does it dissolve or stay solid.

Does the acid Damage continue after the death of the cube.

How long would it take another Character to remove another body from the cube if you remain trapped after the death of the cube. Remembering the Magical Darkness :)

I am not complaining about the DM's Ruling but myself, the other players where just wondering about the rules or what other thought about this.

Crothian

First Post
Here's my opinions

When cube dies in losses cube form and becomes blob like. Acid damage still happens and it would take people at least a round (while they took acid damage) to fine someone in there and then a round or two more to remove that person and get all the acid off.

IceBear

Explorer
Well, I would rule that the acid would stay potent for a time (probably take days to break down so for all intents and purposes I would treat the acid as if the cube was alive for the next hour or so at least).

I also don't think the cube would collapse upon death. It would eventually decay, but not immediately. Now, it could be that the beating it took to kill it might have torn chunks from it, but I'd say that normally the cube would remain a cube upon death. Or, upon further reflection a blobby mass equivalent to a 10ft cube :)

Now, as for how long it would take to pull someone out. I'd say a round from when you grabbed that person. How long it takes to find that person depends, and, as was pointed out, there would still be a round or two of acid damage before it was all washed off.

I don't think there is any concrete rules on this unless there is an Ecology of a G.C in a Dragon magazine somewhere.

IceBear

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
IceBear said:
I don't think there is any concrete rules on this unless there is an Ecology of a G.C in a Dragon magazine somewhere.

Dragon 124 contains The Ecology of the Gelatinous Cube, which says this:

“As to their digestive fluids — these are produced and held in movable, elastic cavities or bubbles within an athcoid’s body. When prey is engulfed by a cube, one or more of these mobile bubbles are shifted into contact with the prey. Such fluid has no effect on metal of any sort, and, as we have all heard, metal objects are held for a time within the creature, then expelled through its skin; but the fluid has devastating effects on flesh and cellulose.”

From this, it sounds as if digesting people requires some effort on the cube's part. Someone already engulfed at the time of death would presumably continue to take damage, but someone reaching through the cube to cut a friend out is less likely to take serious damage.

IceBear

Explorer
aliensex said:
Wow, I can just imagine a Gelatinous Cube graveyard full of rotting jello cubes. Now that would be a cool visual.:cool:

I'm NOT going there :D It got old with the beholder graveyard

IceBear

Remove ads