Legacy of Fire Adventure Path

jcbarbarossa

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Legacy of Fire Adventure Path

This is an excellent AP, start to finish. I wonder if more don't like it because its Arabian Nights flavor is so specific.

Alphastream

Adventurer

We had a blast with the majority of this adventure path. It does a great job of capturing the setting. Locations are distinct, flavorful, and interesting. NPCs and NPC foes are cool and captivating. The plot is engaging and as players we really wanted to uncover all the secrets, foil our foes, and become heroes. When we got to a certain fantastical place, we were super-excited... and that's where it began to fall flat. This huge hidden magical land is reduced to a few dry encounters. Much of what you think can be accomplished is not at all set up to allow that. And the end comes all too quickly and is anticlimactic at that point. It was really a shame. A good DM can build upon what is provided and create a far better end, but it takes work.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

This is a very "in the mood" adventure with enough time for the PCs to not rush into being the greatest heroes, but with enough downtime to not feel rushed, while keeping the feeling of development. The gnolls are really brought to their best (or worst) here, too. It has some work cut out for the GM towards the end, and has the slight feel of being a bit rushed - work will need to be put in to not disappoint certain players while the "go along with the story" types may not care. Hence only 4 stars.

Dragovon

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Legacy of Fire Adventure Path

I played this one rather than running it (I usually GM). I had a lot of fun, though the campaign didn't go as written very well as the main PCs were zealous followers of Sarenrae, and as the religion of Sarenrae teaches all should be given a chance to repent.

Starfox

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for Legacy of Fire Adventure Path

First, I've only read this adventure path, not actually played it. When I first heard of it, I had very high expectations. Having been a fan of Al-Qadim, I expected desert romance full of genies and the fantastical. The truth is almost the opposite - the first adventures are very mundane, full of dust and hard work and very few things amazing. It gets more fantastic towards the end, but still I feel this is not an advenure path that fits my high-fantasy expectations.

JLant

First Post

Arabian Adventures, PF Style. Interesting plot, though a bit grindy in the beginning.

mxyzplk

Explorer

This AP is very good and set in the Arabic style lands of Golarion. That's not to everyone's tastes, so this AP doesn't get as much play as others, but it's quite good and colorful.

5 out of 5 rating for Legacy of Fire Adventure Path

This one should be converted from 3.5 to PRPG. It's basically super cool overall. Just awesome. No low points. An awesome auction event for an artifact in Chapter 3... great dungeons, the works. And gnolls.... yessssssss... Monster Codex would work really nice alongside a PRPG version....

3 out of 5 rating for Legacy of Fire Adventure Path

I had to put this one on hold at Chapter 5. The adventures are OK, and some of the encounters are great. But it didn't really hold up the Arabian Nights theme, and so felt very generic in a lot of places. The first adventure was a small dungeon, followed by a small dungeon. Then the PCs get a year of downtime. The second chapter was a very large dungeon. The third is very sketchily written, with the party dependent on an NPC to study an object for them, and the party given 2 weeks or more with no written encounters, other than "during the 2 weeks, they must meet these 3 people somehow." I had to make up 2 weeks of encounters for them while they waited for the magic 2 week period to pass. Ironically, the players told me this was their favorite part of the AP before I told them that was the part I made up. I figured out why: This was the only part that wasn't on hard rails. Chapter 4 is a bit more open with the order in which the party explores and the side they take, but the rails close back in for the ending. There are a few ways to handle it, but none have any practical effect on the rest of the AP. Chapter 5 is a very large dungeon. When we got to Chapter 5, and the party escaped from one bottle into another, I could sense the discontent, and put the AP on hold. Also at issue is the Arabian theme. It just really isn't there very strongly. The aesthetic is there, and the theme is present in the history, but the adventures don't express it very well. Gnolls in the mountains doesn't really capture the Arabian Nights theme very well, in my opinion. The only chapter that encapsulates the theme well is the third, in the market city of Katapesh, and I pulled material from the back matter of the AP, from the Dark Markets sourcebook, from the Dragons Unleashed sourcebook, the Inner Sea World Guide sourcebook, and at least one other source that escapes me now, to populate the city with experiences for them. On the bright side of that, I think Katapesh is probably the most developed location in Golarion. The down side is that the module itself doesn't give it to you. There are a few things that GMs can do to reinforce the theme, but it really depends on your players, your time allowance, and your level of motivation to do so. There's very little in each adventure to affect the subsequent ones. A major presence in the first volume is given short shrift in later books. A few items that are given or mentioned early on as being useful are never mentioned again, so adding things to keep your players invested is another extra task you have to do yourself. There's also a set of myths given in the inner cover of each volume. The modules give you no way to introduce these myths into the story until chapter 4, and gives you no context to their importance, so when you run into their creator in the next book, the encounter is really humdrum instead of a big event. So, this one is runnable, but it requires the GM to do a lot of outside work to engage the players. The history is confusing and forgettable, and finding a good place to introduce it to the story without large info-dumps is problematic. It really depends on your group, but mine got bored with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases