Carrion Crown Adventure Path

Waller

Legend
2 out of 5 rating for Carrion Crown Adventure Path

I can't really recommend this AP. It feels disjointed. I enjoy the idea of a horror-themed path, but sadly TSR captured horror in Ravenloft far better than this years earlier.

mxyzplk

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Carrion Crown Adventure Path

Plenty of atmosphere in this AP, from ghosts to Frankensteins to werewolves to vampires to Cthulhus to liches. It's super railroady and we often had to just metagame and say "we're here because the plot says we're supposed to be..." As with many APs, the first half is the best and then it gets patchy when you hit the high levels.

concerro

Explorer

This one has more opportunities for RP. I like it a lot, and I would have given it 5 start if not for book 4. Book 6 was okay.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands

There are parts I love (Chapter 4 for example for the entire Cthulhuian horror setup), and parts I think need fixing (looking at you chapter 3!) But overall, my won experience (especially running it) has been pretty positive. I hope some day to do this again.

I had the pleasure of running this as a DM through the 2nd Book, and I read the rest as well, several times. I can see some of the criticism provided in other review as legit; the AP is certainly not sandboxed, the fact that basically you have 6 books each using a slightly different (horror-)theme could hurt the cohesiveness, yes. To us, it wasn't a problem, and we enjoyed that there was plenty of opportunities to roleplay. My players enjoyed the setting, the gloomy Ustalav. As a DM I had no difficulties running the modules, all the information was there.

1 out of 5 rating for Carrion Crown Adventure Path

I played this AP twice so I know a bit about this one. Both times I played more to hang out with great players than I did for desire to play this heap of crap. The second time around, the GM was kinda hopeful about the whole gothic feel to this, but by Chap 2 he was kinda miffed by the whole thing. I mean a haunt is cool until you have a cleric channeling, at which point it has the same effect on the campaign as a corridor riddled with traps when you have a rogue built to own traps with no chance of failure - the GM stops bothering and hand waives those things...The story is just bad, and mainly relies on a "horror feel" that's supposed to be there but don't quite materializes. Plus the whole Whispering Way angle is weak. They should have devoted more time on this. The AP sure doesn't have the same feel the Pathfinder Novels provides for Ustalav...

L

Lichhunter

5 out of 5 rating for Carrion Crown Adventure Path

Not sure why this gem winds up so low on the Adventure Path hierarchy. I'm a fan.

Its path reminded me of Against the Giants with the gradual progression of monster difficulty but in a gothic horror kind of way.

The final confrontation in Gallowspire was maybe a weak point, but not that weak, and it didn't turn me off to the whole adventure path which was deftly laid out and described beautifully.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for Carrion Crown Adventure Path

I remember that the FIRST adventure was really great, one of the best 1st-Level modules I ever experienced. That level of excellence was kept for the first half of the SECOND module, "Trial of the Beast" (second part was a slog). Adventures 3, 4 and 5 were rather dull and boring in my experience. The 6th one was better, but not at the levels of the first modules.
I think that the authors divided the modules thematically (Horror Stories? So, ghosts in the first adventure, then Frankenstein, then werewolves, Chtulhu, vampires and... a Legendary Lich Lord in the end!), but that was not enough, they had to work more on the style, because I found no horror in these horror adventures.
So, if you want to taste this AP, I recommend to play the first installment, maybe a half of the second one.

Remove ads