What happened to the Creature Catalog?

Cleon

Legend
Is it under maintenance again? This website is always disappearing and reappearing.

The last we heard it needs a new server so it's likely to be down for some time.

Most of the monster conversions are in this forum somewhere, although finding them can be difficult.

If worse comes to worse, you can put a request for a particular conversion in General Monsters and I can repost the stats. I've got a pretty up-to-date collection of the Creature Catalog monsters on my computer hard drive(s).

Cleon

Legend
Barachiel just asked this question too.

For some time now I cannot access the Creature Catalog. Is it down? How long will it be down?

We just don't know when it'll be back, but if we hear anything new I expect we'll post the news here fairly soon.

For convenience, I'll be trying to keep my "Where the CC" posts to this thread rather than splitting them with the thread Barachiel's started.

gooeylouie

First Post
Could I please have the stats for the archomentals Cryonax, Ogremoch, Yan C Bin, and Olyhydra? I need the stats for a campaign. I could come up with stats, but the stats in the CC were pretty good

Cleon

Legend
Could I please have the stats for the archomentals Cryonax, Ogremoch, Yan C Bin, and Olyhydra? I need the stats for a campaign. I could come up with stats, but the stats in the CC were pretty good

All of those have official Third-Edition writeups in Dragon #347.

The Creature Catalog versions are D&D 3.0 and Challenge Rating 17, while the Dragon versions are D&D 3.5 and have Challenge Ratings ranging from CR 21 (Yan-C-Bin) to CR 23 (Ogrémoch).

Which would you prefer I posted, the CC or the Dragon magazine stats?

Also, I notice you didn't include Imix in the list - do you need his stats as well?

gooeylouie

First Post
I would prefer the CR 17 stats from the creature catalog. I don't need Imix's stats because he is in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Cleon

Legend
I would prefer the CR 17 stats from the creature catalog. I don't need Imix's stats because he is in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Okay, in that case I'll just go ahead and post them:

CRYONAX (Prince of Evil Cold Creatures)
Gargantuan Elemental (Cold)
Hit Dice: 36d8+180 (342 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 28 (-4 size, +1 Dex, +21 natural)
Attacks: 2 tentacles +43 melee
Damage: Tentacle 2d8+10
Face/Reach: 20 ft by 20 ft/20 ft
Special Attacks: Freezing touch, cold aura, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Elemental, shatter weapons, damage reduction 15/+3, SR 20, cold subtype
Saves: Fort +25, Ref +15, Will +16
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +10, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (the planes) +10, Listen +28, Spot +28
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam), Whirlwind Attack
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or troupe (1d2 young white dragons, 1d4 frost giants, or 2d4 yetis)
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: N/A

Cryonax is the Prince of Cold creatures and dwells in a huge castle of ice and glass, situated at the juncture of the Elemental Plane of Air and the Plane of Water. He appears as a 35-foot tall yeti with tentacles in place of arms. Each tentacle is covered with many suction cups.

COMBAT
Cronax attacks with his tentacles and spell-like abilities in combat. A frozen character (one hit by his tentacle attack that fails a save) is shattered at the first opportunity.
Freezing Touch (Ex):
A creature hit by Cryonax’s tentacle attack must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 18) or be frozen in place for 1d6+4 minutes as ice encases the victim’s body. Frozen creatures are considered helpless, and have a hardness of 0. A frozen character brought to 0 hit points, shatters into pieces. If unfrozen, the being has similar damage and deformities.
Cold Aura (Ex): Cryonax’s body generates intense cold dealing 1d6 points of cold damage to all creatures within 10 feet of him. Creatures attacking Cryonax unarmed or with natural weapons take 1d6 points of additional cold damage each time their attacks hit.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—cone of cold, wall of ice; 1/day—summon cold monster (similar to summon monster spell, but allows Cryonax to summon 1 adult white dragon, 1d4 frost giants, or 2d4 yetis). These abilities are as the spells cast by a 15th-level sorcerer (save DC 14 + spell level).
Elemental: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. Not subject to critical hits.
Shatter Weapons (Ex): Any weapon that strikes Cryonax must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 12) or shatter into pieces.
Cold Subtype (Ex): Cold immunity, double damage from fire, except on a successful save.

OGRÈMOCH (Prince of Evil Earth Creatures)
Gargantuan Elemental (Earth)
Hit Dice: 38d8+228 (399 hp)
Initiative: +4 (Improved Initiative)
Speed: 20 ft
AC: 31 (-4 size, +25 natural)
Attacks: Slam +38/+33/+28/+23 melee
Damage: Slam 2d12+19
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, earth mastery, push, summon earth creatures
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/+3, SR 20, elemental, resistances
Saves: Fort +27, Ref +12, Will +16
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 10, Con 23, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +18, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (the planes) +12, Listen +29, Spot +29
Feats: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Casting, Empower Spell, Expertise, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Initiative, Maximize Spell, Power Attack, Sunder, Weapon Focus (slam)
Organization: Solitary or troupe (Ogrèmoch plus 1d4 Huge earth elementals, 1d4 evil elder xorn, and 1d4 umber hulks)
Advancement:

Ogrèmoch looks like an unfinished bipedal humanoid standing about 32 feet tall. His eyes are deep, inset, and dark and his mouth is the same. He has no apparent nose or ears. Ogrèmoch’s arms end in unfinished hands and his legs end in unfinished feet. He makes his lair in a great flat-topped mountain on the Plane of Earth.

COMBAT
Ogrèmoch attacks with his slam and spell-like abilities. If he becomes bored with combat or combat goes against him, he uses his summoning ability to call earth creatures to his aid.
Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—flesh to stone, move earth, and wall of stone (20 hp per inch of thickness); 1/day—earthquake. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 20th-level sorcerer (save DC 14 + spell level).
Earth Mastery (Ex): Ogrèmoch gains a +1 attack and damage bonus if both he and his foe touch the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, he suffers a –4 penalty to attack and damage. (These modifiers are not included in the stat block.)
Push (Ex): Ogrèmoch can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity. The combat modifiers given in Earth Mastery, above, also apply to his opposed Strength checks.
Summon Earth Creatures (Sp): Once per day, Ogrèmoch can automatically summon 2d4 Medium-size or smaller earth elementals, 1d3 Large or Huge earth elementals, or 1d4 average or elder xorn (of evil alignment).
Elemental: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. Not subject to critical hits.
Resistances (Ex): Ogrèmoch has fire resistance 20 and acid, cold, and electricity resistance 5.

OLHYDRA (Princess of Evil Water Creatures)
Gargantuan Elemental (Water)
Hit Dice: 36d8+216 (378 hp)
Initiative: +7 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft, swim 90 ft
AC: 24 (-4 size, +7 Dex, +11 natural)
Attacks: Slam +35/+30/+25/+20 melee
Damage: Slam 2d10+16
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, water mastery, drench, vortex, capsize, summon water creatures
Special Qualities: Elemental, damage reduction 15/+3, SR 20, cold resistance 20, fire immunity, cold vulnerability
Saves: Fort +26, Ref +19, Will +16
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 24, Con 23, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +16, Intimidate +14,
Knowledge (the planes) +15, Listen +29, Spot +29
Feats: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Casting, Expertise, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Initiative, Maximize Spell, Power Attack, Sunder, Weapon Focus (slam)
Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic and underground
Organization: Solitary or troupe (Olhydra plus 1d3 Large or Huge water elementals, 1-2 sea hags, and 2-5 water weirds)
Advancement:

Olhydra appears as a 35-foot tall humanoid composed of water. She has no discernable features (eyes, nose, etc.). She dwells in a great undersea castle on the Elemental Plane of Water.

COMBAT
Olhydra attacks with her slam attack and spell-like abilities in combat. If she becomes bored with combat or combat goes against her, she uses her summoning ability to call water creatures to her aid.
Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—acid fog, control water, ice storm and transmute rock to mud. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 20thlevel sorcerer (save DC 14 + spell level).
Water Mastery (Ex): Olhydra gains a +1 attack and damage bonus if both her and her opponent touch water. If she or her opponent is land bound, she suffers a –4 penalty to attack and damage. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block).
Drench (Ex): Olhydra’s touch puts out torches, campfires, exposed lanterns, and other open flames of nonmagical origin if these are of Huge size or smaller. She can dispel magical fire she touches as dispel magic cast by a 36th-level sorcerer.
Vortex (Su): Olhydra can transform herself into a whirlpool once ever 10 minutes provided she is underwater, and remain in that form for up to 18 rounds. In vortex form, she can move through the water or along the bottom at her swim speed.
The vortex is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top, and 80 feet tall. She controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet tall.
Creatures of Huge or smaller size take damage when caught in the vortex and might be swept up by it. An affected creature must succeed at a Reflex save (DC 33) when it comes in contact with the vortex or take 2d8 points of damage. It must also succeed at a second Reflex save (same DC) or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful currents, automatically taking damage each round. A creature that can swim is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the vortex. The creature still takes damage, but can leave if the save is successful.
Olhydra can eject any carried creatures whenever she wishes, depositing them wherever the vortex happens to be.
If the vortex’s base touches the bottom, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on Olhydra and has a diameter equal to half the vortex’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have one-half concealment, while those further away have total concealment (see Concealment page 133 in the PHB). Those caught in the cloud must succeed at a Concentration check to cast a spell (DC 33).
Capsize (Ex): Olhydra can surface under a boat or ship less than 20 feet long capsizes the vessel 100% of the time. She has a 75% chance to capsize a vessel from 20 to 60 feet long, and a 50% chance to capsize a vessel over 60 feet long.
Summon Water Creatures (Sp): Once per day, Olhydra can automatically summon 1d3 Large or Huge water elementals, 3d4 sea hags, 2d4 water weirds, or 20-200 sahuagin.
Cold Vulnerability (Ex): If Olhydra takes damage from a cold-based attack (i.e., it bypasses her cold resistance) she is slowed for a number of rounds equal to the caster’s level.

YAN-C-BIN (Prince of Evil Air Creatures)
Gargantuan Elemental (Air)
Hit Dice: 36d8+216 (378 hp)
Initiative: +16 (+12 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Fly 100 ft (perfect)
AC: 26 (-4 size, +12 Dex, +8 natural)
Attacks: Slam +35/+30/+25/+30 melee
Damage: Slam 2d10+12
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, air mastery, whirlwind, summon air creatures
Special Qualities: Elemental, immune to air attacks, damage reduction 15/+3, SR 20, immunities
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +32, Will +16
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 35, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +16, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (the planes) +15, Listen +29, Spot +29
Feats: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Casting, Dodge, Expertise, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Initiative, Mobility, Power Attack, Sunder, Weapon Finesse (slam)
Organization: Solitary or troupe (Yan-C-Bin plus 1d3 Large or Huge air elementals, 2-5 cloud giants, and 1-2 invisible stalkers)
Advancement:

Yan-C-Bin appears as a 35-foot tall air elemental and makes his home in a large airy palace on the Plane of Air.

COMBAT
Yan-C-Bin attacks with his slam attack and spell-like abilities in combat. If he becomes bored with combat or combat goes against him, he uses his summoning ability to call air creatures to his aid.
Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—control winds, chain lightning, obscuring mist, and wind wall; 1/day—control weather. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 20th-level sorcerer (save DC 14 + spell level).
Air Mastery (Ex): Airborne creatures suffer a –1 penalty to attack and damage rolls against an air elemental.
Whirlwind (Su): Yan-C-Bin can transform himself into a whirlwind once ever 10 minutes provided he is and remain in that form for up to 18 rounds. In whirlwind form, he can move through the air or along a surface at his fly speed.
The whirlwind is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top, and 80 feet tall. He controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet.
Creatures of Huge or smaller size take damage when caught in the whirlwind and might be lifted into the air. An affected creature must succeed at a Reflex save (DC 33) when it comes in contact with the whirlwind or take 2d8 points of damage. It must also succeed at a second Reflex save (same DC) or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful winds, automatically taking damage each round. A creature that can fly is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the whirlwind. The creature still takes damage, but can leave if the save is successful.
Yan-C-Bin can eject any carried creatures whenever he wishes, depositing them wherever the whirlwind happens to be.
If the whirlwind’s base touches the ground, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on Yan-C-Bin and has a diameter equal to half the whirlwind’s height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have one-half concealment, while those further away have total concealment (see Concealment page 133 in the PHB). Those caught in the cloud must succeed at a Concentration check to cast a spell (DC 33).
Summon Air Creatures (Sp): Once per day, Yan-C-Bin can automatically summon 1d3 Large or Huge air elementals, 1d4 invisible stalkers, 1d4 cloud giants, or 1d3 wind walkers.
Immune to Air Attacks (Ex): Yan-C-Bin is immune to any object cast into the air (thrown objects, missile weapons, etc.). This immunity does not extend to spells.
Immunities (Ex): Yan-C-Bin is immune to electricity effects and petrification.

Remove ads