Yet another demented rant by yours truly: Fireworks

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Are people frickin' nuts?
Someone 1/2 block away set off a box of fireworks. Just now. Not the cute little "Safe&sane" stuff, but sky rockets that explode in air with loud thumps.
It was one thing after the Giants won the world series: at least the people setting off fireworks had a reason. Not necessarily a good reason, but a reason.
This... I understand is not some sort of a "thing to do" when you're bored.
Yes, rain flaming debris down on people's houses. During a drought. Yeah, nothing bad can happen there.
I'm sure when someone's home is burned to the ground, and the police track down the afore-mentioned idiots, it won't seem like quite such a lark.

Until then, can someone please explain the thinking behind this? Or lack there-of?
It's not like fireworks are free... Someone spent money on these...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Yes they are. And I like them.
But not something that should be set off without notice in a quiet residential area where they can endanger lives and property.

It sounds like they were setting off the mortar type fireworks. Those generally require a license to get, at least out here. You could just call the cops, you know. They'll show up and take them (fireworks and the people).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The problems with fireworks; no one has to pass a test to use them, you don't have to wear protective gear, the cool factor is relative to IQ (dumb stuff = more fun), they go BOOM.

Scorpio616

First Post
It sounds like they were setting off the mortar type fireworks. Those generally require a license to get, at least out here. You could just call the cops, you know. They'll show up and take them (fireworks and the people).
An issue with that is, you never know who knows who if you don't live in a major metropolitan area. A complaint like that risks a cop not getting there in time to catch anyone, then the same cop tips his buddies off on who ratted them out later. Which leads to flattened tires and broken windows.

Remove ads