D&D 5E DMG excerpt: Carousing!

Ha, I like that you add your level to the "carousing" meter, and the higher stuff is actually more beneficial. So low level characters will likely be making enemies, waking up unconscious, or forming romances, whereas a high level character will bypass those bad ones entirely. A level 20 character should never be able to be knocked out in a simple bar brawl or from being robbed, and that's exactly how this table works. Also, kudos to having the player make up the relationship partner and have the DM approve it.

Tormyr

Adventurer
"...each day the character is away adds 3 days of construction time."

So construction goes backwards?

I think they meant that each day is only 1/3 as effective, but geez.

I think it adds three days to the construction time. The base time is assuming the PC is on hand to supervise. If you're building an Abbey but will be gone the whole time it will take 1600 days to complete.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Bit disappointed in the castle construction guidelines. I was hoping for something more robust, akin to the 1e DMG. Probably in a supplement somewhere. Oh well. It's not like my 1e DMG guidelines suddenly won't work, and those costs are still perfectly valid in every other edition.

Agamon

Adventurer

It's not that it goes backwards, it just takes longer to complete.

Tormyr

Adventurer
This is just one of the times I am being pedantic. Back in math and algorithm classes we were tasked with writing an algorithm for making a PB&J sandwich for an alien that we could only communicate with through the algorithm. The alien had never seen a PB&J sandwich before but had all the tools and ingredients necessary. The prof then went through a few of the submissions followed the instructions literally. Several of the attempts ended up looking nothing like a PB&J sandwich.

It's not that it goes backwards, it just takes longer to complete.
It continuously adds time to the point of never finishing.
I think it adds three days to the construction time. The base time is assuming the PC is on hand to supervise. If you're building an Abbey but will be gone the whole time it will take 1600 days to complete.
But at day 1600 you will have 400 (Initial cost) - 1600 (work completed) + 1600 * 3 (days away penalty = 3600 days to go

Obviously they didn't mean it as written (each day away adds 3 days), so it is left to figure out what they meant.
If each day away is only 1/3 as effective, then construction of the abbey would be completed in 1200 days. (Contracters, eh?)

If each day away adds 3 days only up to the initial 400 days, then construction would be completed in 1600 days.

Making each day only worth 1/3 of the work makes more sense to me, but your mileage may vary. I imagine this might come up for some "Sage Advice" at some point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases