CB's Grim Frequencies AP OOC -- COMPLETE

Thx, much appreciated.

OK, people. Hit points per level are 1/2 of your hit die. If you need to round, round up. Conversely, if someone strongly prefers to roll hit die, go for it, but provide a link to your rolls.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
So, what is considered half of a hit die? Since 0 isn't an option on the die roll, it skews all of the possible hit die to X.5 (e.g. 1d6 = 3.5, 1d8 = 4.5, 1d10 = 5.5, 1d12 = 6.5).

So, what is considered half of a hit die? Since 0 isn't an option on the die roll, it skews all of the possible hit die to X.5 (e.g. 1d6 = 3.5, 1d8 = 4.5, 1d10 = 5.5, 1d12 = 6.5).
I had a big long post typed up that I thought addressed your question, only to re-read and realize that I had misunderstood what you ask.

I'll clarify what I mean. If your character uses a d6 for hit die, then you get 3 hit points, plus whatever your character's relevant ability score modifier might be. Usually Constitution, but I'll generalize my terminology so that it applies broadly. Is it statistically accurate to not use x.5? Admittedly, no. Is it what I prefer to do, anyway? Yes. Please let me know if you believe there is a truly compelling reason why we need to operate otherwise. Here's an impromptu table to illustrate what I intend:

d4 = 2 3 hit points
d6 = 3 4 hit points
d8 = 4 5 hit points
d10 = 5 6 hit points
d12 = 6 7 hit points

To further clarify, if someone prefers to roll, go for it. Post a link to your die roll, then tack that bad boy onto your RG entry. No problem.

If anyone ever is presented with a situation in which rounding was required to calculate hit points, then I want you to please round up. Given that, hit die rely on even numbers, I can't imagine what that might be, but, regardless, I want you to round up if ever it comes up. For other situations, we round down (damage is a good example).

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
OK, so less than half. No problem. I'll edit Cyril.

ETA: I'm contemplating rolling for Cyril's HPs now, since I have a 66.6% chance of rolling as well or better than what I get by default. I'm risk averse when it comes to squishy character hit points, so I'll probably stick with what I've got.

Screw it, who wants to live forever?

Last edited:

Please explicate, with math, for my meager pea brain why you assert that it's less than half. If we use x.5, a character with a d6 for hit dice will come out with 3.5 hit points. Given that I've also requested we round up, that means said character will receive 4 hit points.

We could, I suppose, keep the rounding rule a straight "round down" across the board for all situations, and it would fix the issue. Let me know.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Please explicate, with math, for my meager pea brain why you assert that it's less than half. If we use x.5, a character with a d6 for hit dice will come out with 3.5 hit points. Given that I've also requested we round up, that means said character will receive 4 hit points.

I was basing it on the table you provided above.
Here's an impromptu table to illustrate what I intend:

d4 = 2 hit points
d6 = 3 hit points
d8 = 4 hit points
d10 = 5 hit points
d12 = 6 hit points
That table statistically provides less than half on the die roll due to there not being a 0 value. Some games I've played in the past got around the issue by alternating. You would take greater than half on odd levels and less than half on even levels.

Thanks for your patience. I've educated myself and agree that "average" hit points after 1st level should be x.5 hit points per level, rounding up at odd levels and rounding down at even levels. I will edit the OP of this thread to reflect this rule.

The option to roll for hit points remains open to anyone who wishes to use it.

Remove ads