What are the powers of the One Ring?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That whole "enhancing the wearer's existing nature" thing. Maybe that's why hobbits turn invisible with it - they hide from bigger folk a lot. It's their existing nature.

In which case it wouldn't turn Gandalf invisible. It would do something completely different.

I believe that it is noted elsewhere by Tolkien that the Nine and the One both have invisibility powers when worn by mortals. It is suggested by some that the Nine *aren't wearing* their rings during the trilogy, so they aren't invisible. Sauron doesn't have the One to control the Nine, so he's taken those rings personally as a way to control the Ringwraiths.

Note that Gandalf and Saruman are not mortals. And Galadriel isn't really either. They may already exist in the spirit realm, so that the One may not work the same way on them.

Also, the only people we ever see use the rings are stated to be resistant to its effects, and know squat-all about magic. They get to use only what the Ring allows them, and can exert little or no control over the ring, where others might be able to. Maybe more knowledgeable wearers can choose to be invisible, while the hobbits can't turn the things off.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
It is repeatedly said that a goodly chunk of Sauron's power is in that ring. As angelic beings go, Sauron was of higher order then Gandalf and Saruman, so we could be talking about a *lot* of power in there. Surely, that can't all be required to dominate other wearers of rings. The way Gandalf and Galadriel speak, the ring also would represent a significant boost to their personal power - presumably, they know enough about magic to access the power Sauron had locked away in there, in ways that mere mortal hobbits couldn't.

Galadriel also laments that many wondrous things were wrought with the elven rings (including, if memory serves, Lothlorien) and the destruction of the one ring would mean their passing.

Presumably Sauron (or someone knowledgeable) could use the one ring to destroy, corrupt, or otherwise control these works, as well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Galadriel also laments that many wondrous things were wrought with the elven rings (including, if memory serves, Lothlorien) and the destruction of the one ring would mean their passing.

Presumably Sauron (or someone knowledgeable) could use the one ring to destroy, corrupt, or otherwise control these works, as well.

Er, maybe, and maybe not. We don't quite know how they work.

As I recall it, the issue is that Lothlorien is currently maintained by her ring - the rings tend to impose stasis, like having hobbits live for centuries - such that if the ring dies, so does Lothlorien. But the place was built before her Ring came into it.

The Three were created using methods that Sauron taught the elves. However, Sauron himself was not personally involved in their crafting, as he was involved with the Seven and the Nine. So, Sauron could not directly influence the powers of the Three. He can't even find the Three, normally.

Now, Tolkien was not a scientist, and I don't think he ever felt a need to fully describe this. But, to No-Prize it, the destruction of the One would cause a major ripple and destruction in the powers that the Rings all use - much like a nuclear bomb sets off an EMP. The rings all fry, and Lothlorien dies. That does not mean that the One really can manipulate the powers of the Three - in fact, we are told explicitly that he cannot. There's some suggestion that if Sauron actually had possession of the Three, he could corrupt them so he could dominate their powers and owners. But, short of falling into his custody, the Three are largely safe.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Er, maybe, and maybe not. We don't quite know how they work.

The Three were created using methods that Sauron taught the elves. However, Sauron himself was not personally involved in their crafting, as he was involved with the Seven and the Nine. So, Sauron could not directly influence the powers of the Three. He can't even find the Three, normally.

Now, Tolkien was not a scientist, and I don't think he ever felt a need to fully describe this. But, to No-Prize it, the destruction of the One would cause a major ripple and destruction in the powers that the Rings all use - much like a nuclear bomb sets off an EMP. The rings all fry, and Lothlorien dies. That does not mean that the One really can manipulate the powers of the Three - in fact, we are told explicitly that he cannot.

Sauron without the one ring can't find the elven rings, true (he can't find the one ring, either). We are told, explicitly, that the one ring was made to control those elven rings (among the others, of course). And, remember, Frodo could see that Galadriel was wearing a ring just by carrying the one ring.

Since the elven rings maintain such a connection to the the things they make that the destruction of the rings would also mean their destruction, I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that someone could use the one ring to control the elven rings to exert some change over those things, whatever form that change might take.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wait, so the One Ring only gives power over... the rings he already has? What does he need it for then? He already has the rings it might give him power over.

Rune

Once A Fool
Wait, so the One Ring only gives power over... the rings he already has? What does he need it for then? He already has the rings it might give him power over.

No. Sauron wants the one ring back so he can rule the elven rings (which he does not possess) and to reclaim the power that he poured into the making of the one ring.

MarkB

Legend
I believe that it is noted elsewhere by Tolkien that the Nine and the One both have invisibility powers when worn by mortals. It is suggested by some that the Nine *aren't wearing* their rings during the trilogy, so they aren't invisible. Sauron doesn't have the One to control the Nine, so he's taken those rings personally as a way to control the Ringwraiths.

If I recall correctly, the Ringwraiths themselves are invisible, it's just their gear and clothing that isn't - in fact, the whole purpose of their outfits is to give them form and shape so that they can interact with others. I seem to recall Frodo being able to see the Ringwraiths' faces within their hoods after putting on the Ring on Weathertop, and Eowyn stabbing at the empty-seeming space beneath the Witch King's crown to slay him.

Kaodi

Hero
Sauron is not really a higher order being than Gandalf and Saruman. I was reading somewhere the other day that the Istari were actually diminished by taking on their mortal forms as their true power would have made elves and men fearful of them as well. Sauron was undoubtedly more powerful as his height than they were at their height, but that is not an order level difference.

Remove ads