D&D 5E Edition Wars, WHY?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I think a lot of you guys do not realize how much some people felt let down by WotC when 4e came out. Sure it is just a game, but brand loyalty is something special. Betray it and you'll get someone who will stay bitter for a long time.

Exactly.

As one who was extremely put-off by 4E and was happy to say so - over and over again, I can tell you that it's no longer a relevant issue for me. I think the way WotC handled the 5e rollout was fantastic, especially the way they *embraced* the quirky facets of the game's history with 5E, rather than discarding/changing many of them (or, at least, the ones that were important to me) with 4E. However, my bitterness was with WotC folks, not gamers that enjoyed 4E. Most of the ones responsible for the initial high level 4E decisions at WotC are no longer employed there.

Rune

Once A Fool
Not an entire edition, but Dracula added a new spin and flavor to his vision of the game via the Ravenloft module. Really just an ode to himself, he tried covering up his egotism by writing the module under, not one, but two pseudonyms - Tracy and Laura Hickman.

I enjoyed that module, but I may have been charmed at the time.

Gamers sometimes have a solipsistic approach to their preferences, and end up investing so much into a specific game that they struggle to get anybody else to play with, that it tends to boil over in frustration and bitterness. I’ve communicated with people that refuse to play D&D of any particular edition, d20 games, White Wolf games, indie games, traditional rpgs, any particular edition of Traveller, “any game that uses percentile dice” and so on. The views expressed are quite adamant, and are usually accompanied by an incessant push for Their Favourite Game, be that what it is.

Edition warring isn’t exclusive to D&D. I remember play testing the Mongoose Traveller game back in 2008, and there were people banned for endlessly insulting others based on edition preference, or trying to attack the possibility of a new game. I remember when Mage Revised came out, which was incredibly bitter too - where fans would end up posting negative reviews of supplements online before they came out, etc.

A lot of edition wars do require the game publishers to address underlying concerns, but the reactions from fans can be heavily hyperbolic, entrenched and personalised quite quickly. What that says about human nature, I dunno. IMDB is worse.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I've said this before but one thing that often gets missed is that a lot of "edition wars" are started by accusations of edition warring.

That's what I've personally seen more than anything else. Folks want to discuss a system and naturally use other systems in comparison (or for solutions) and it prompts accusations of edition wars, which are in and of themselves what begin the edition warring in that instance seemingly to shut down any discussion of potential flaws in the system (all systems have flaws, of course). In a way, that what GMforPowergamers is experiencing

Oh, noes! Now we're going to start an edition war over Holmes vs. Dracula editions!

Now see what you've done!

It's quite elementary, my dear Rune; Holmes was the better edition. It's evident by how well deductive reasoning works with that one.

Dracula's edition was all about darkness, gloom, and blood. Just not my cup of tea. Plus, it tended to fall apart when sunlight hit it. Made it rather hard to get the book home without it turning to ash.

I "missed" the edition wars but it seems sad. I was told I was a geek when I was growing up because I played rpgs - I'm sure others here had similar experiences. Seems a bit wrong to find a community of like minded people only to be told you're the wrong kind of geek and therefore not welcome, or feel not welcome somewhere you'd think was Cheers, or should be.

Rune

Once A Fool
It's quite elementary, my dear Rune; Holmes was the better edition. It's evident by how well deductive reasoning works with that one.

Oh no you don't! Reason has no place in an edition war!

Dracula's edition was all about darkness, gloom, and blood. Just not my cup of tea.

Some people like that kind of tea. Dracula, for instance.

Plus, it tended to fall apart when sunlight hit it.

Just like my 5e PHB!

was

Adventurer
...I have seen several 4th ed. threads pop up in the 5th ed. forum in the last week or so. I think that they have brought out some old grudges from folks on both sides of the 4th ed. issue. I agree that it has become annoying. People need to get over it.

...Fans of 4th ed. have every right to bring what they liked into their 5th ed. games.

...Those who disliked 4th ed. have every right to exclude 4th ed. components from their 5th ed. games.

...Let's cut out the petty nonsense and show some respect for our fellow gamers. As a community, we're better than this.

Last edited:

Remove ads