D&D 5E 5E: Whips?

Astrosicebear

First Post
[MENTION=553]Sir Brennen[/MENTION], I think this falls into the same category as 3.5/PFRPG... it just attempts to make the whip useful.

I would like it to be useful out of the gate, while a feat would make it pretty darn useful (ala 5e's polearm master etc.) ANY training with a weapon would train to the basic level... since a whip's primary allure is these things, it would be the focus of basic training. Otherwise it would be like saying training with a longsword never focused on stabbing, only slashing.

(This is assuming the whip is a "useful" weapon--Anywhere the weapon( in this case whip) could be used to assist the player, whether in disarming, grappling, climbing, juggling, whatever situation arises, it grants the player advantage, if the DM approves of using the weapon in this way.)

Whip Master
Prerequisite: Profiency with whip

You are a master of the whip and its varied uses. Your skill with the lash is unmatched.

While wielding a whip you gain the following benefits:

• Your damage with a whip increases to 1d6.
  • You now may attempt to trip/disarm foes up to 1 size categories larger than you with advantage.
  • If a suitable structure is available to assist, you may use your whip as part of your movement to hurdle obstacles or leap pits, or quickly ascend walls. Treat any ability check roll of less than 10 as an 11 for this purpose.
  • On your turn, as a bonus action, you may attempt to disarm or trip a foe within your reach.
  • You may, as a reaction, once per short rest use your whip to deflect an incoming ranged attack (missile weapon, thrown, or spell, as long as the ammunition is smaller than your size).
  • You gain one of the following abilities usable once per long rest. Each lasts a number of rounds equal to your level. You may take this feat multiple times choosing a different option each time.

- Razor's Edge - You critical hit on a natural roll of 19 and 20. Roll an extra 1d6 damage for every 6 character levels.

- Snapping Bones - Targets hit by your whip must succeed on a Constitution Saving Throw (DC 10 + proficiency bonus) or be stunned for 1 round in addition to taking normal damage.

- Impossible Reach - You do not suffer any disadvantage for using your whip on adjacent foes. Your reach with a whip extends 5ft.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
[MENTION=553]Sir Brennen[/MENTION], I think this falls into the same category as 3.5/PFRPG... it just attempts to make the whip useful.

I would like it to be useful out of the gate, while a feat would make it pretty darn useful (ala 5e's polearm master etc.) ANY training with a weapon would train to the basic level... since a whip's primary allure is these things, it would be the focus of basic training. Otherwise it would be like saying training with a longsword never focused on stabbing, only slashing.

(This is assuming the whip is a "useful" weapon--Anywhere the weapon( in this case whip) could be used to assist the player, whether in disarming, grappling, climbing, juggling, whatever situation arises, it grants the player advantage, if the DM approves of using the weapon in this way.)
Training with any weapon allows you to add your proficiency bonus. So, yeah, I totally agree you could add your prof. bonus to ANY action with a whip if you're trained with it. And for the whip, with reach to boot. I call that pretty useful. In fact, adding prof bonus to non-attack actions might be a better definition of the "useful" property you mentioned. But not with advantage. (Unless that's not what you're saying. Your definition of "useful" above seems redundant with some of the features of the feat you described.)

Whip Master

[ ... Lot of interesting benefits ... ]
Wow... that's... alot of stuff. I know 5E feats are fairly packed, but I wonder about all of that. It might be fine, tho. I'd have to compare it to something like Pole-arm master for balance (why do I always get into these threads without a PHB nearby?).

(Which makes me also want to work on my chakrum feat, so a character can do ridiculous, fantastical, Xena-like stuff with a throwing disk.)

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Prerequisite: Proficiency with whip

You gain mastery in using whips, like a raider of a lost tomb. You gain the following benefits:

[*]You gain advantage on attacks made with a whip to disarm or knock a target prone (by using the Shove attack action), and also on attempts to wrap the end of the whip around an inanimate objects.
Advantage is great, and granting it all the time with a specific weapon, even on restricted maneuvers is too good.
[*]You can initiate a grapple using the whip with an normal attack roll contested by the target's Dex (Athletics) check. Once grappled, the target can escape by succeeding on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check against a target number of 10 + your Proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dex bonus.
I just don't see a whip actually being able to immobilize someone at a distance.
[*]As a bonus action, you can snap the whip in the air and try to intimidate creature's of animal intelligence (2 to 4) within the whip's reach plus 5'. Make a Charisma (Intimidation) check opposed by the creature's Wisdom check. On a success the creature is Frightened until your next turn.
I find this one odd, because wild animals don't have a reason to fear a whip.
Again, seems far too good to hand out advantage all the time in a wide range of circumstances. Literally every adventurer should have a whip in this case.
Whip Master
Prerequisite: Profiency with whip

You are a master of the whip and its varied uses. Your skill with the lash is unmatched.

While wielding a whip you gain the following benefits:

• Your damage with a whip increases to 1d6.

• No other feat outright increases weapon damage, and all the ones that do so indirectly seem to be problematic, so this seems like a bad idea.
    [*]You now may attempt to trip/disarm foes up to 1 size category larger than you with advantage.
    This one makes sense, but no to advantage.
    [*]If a suitable structure is available to assist, you may use your whip as part of your movement to hurdle obstacles or leap pits, or quickly ascend walls. Treat any ability check roll of less than 10 as an 11 for this purpose.
    Shouldn't need a feat to do the first part. What happens when you roll 10? The bonus is too good.
    [*]On your turn, as a bonus action, you may attempt to disarm or trip a foe within your reach.
    Sensible and in line with an existing feat.
    [*]You may, as a reaction, once per short rest use your whip to deflect an incoming ranged attack (missile weapon, thrown, or spell, as long as the ammunition is smaller than your size).
    Whips aren't lightsabres and I just can't imagine where this is coming from.
    [*] You gain one of the following abilities usable once per long rest. Each lasts a number of rounds equal to your level. You may take this feat multiple times choosing a different option each time.

- Razor's Edge - You critical hit on a natural roll of 19 and 20. Roll an extra 1d6 damage for every 6 character levels.
    - Snapping Bones - Targets hit by your whip must succeed on a Constitution Saving Throw (DC 10 + proficiency bonus) or be stunned for 1 round in addition to taking normal damage.
    Ridiculously good for a sub bonus from a feat, and thematically bizarre. You can't do this with a sword or a hammer, but you can do it with a whip?
    - Impossible Reach - You do not suffer any disadvantage for using your whip on adjacent foes. Your reach with a whip extends 5ft.
    There is no disadvantage for using a whip on adjacent foes. Making your whip longer via a feat seems silly, especially for (level) rounds per day.

I think several weapons need the ability to pull instead of or as well as push foes (basically anything with odd protrusions and reach), the whip would be restricted to pulling.

I think the feat for the whip would give a bonus action disarm/pull, the ability to treat a whip as a light weapon, and some sort of reaction ability (create disadvantage, like the shield style?) OR +1 to str or dex

Last edited:

Geeknamese

Explorer
I don't see why anyone wouldn't take 4 levels of Fighter if you're a Rogue anyways. You'd get Second Wind, Action Surge, the ability to use medium armor and shields, get your 6th ability score advancement/feat and be able to crit on a 19-20. Crits on rogues with sneak attacks are pretty nasty. You don't lose all that much for the multiclassing.

I'd like to see a whip feat in the future, that would be really nice. That, and firearms feat.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I don't see why anyone wouldn't take 4 levels of Fighter if you're a Rogue anyways. You'd get Second Wind, Action Surge, the ability to use medium armor and shields, get your 6th ability score advancement/feat and be able to crit on a 19-20. Crits on rogues with sneak attacks are pretty nasty. You don't lose all that much for the multi classing.

I still think you're better stopping at 1, especially if you are playing a rogue:

With fighter levels:
* Second wind, armour and shields and fighting style (which you don't mention) all come at level 1.
* Action surge at 2
* Improved crit range at 3
* ability boost at 4 (so you get a boost at character levels 4, 8, 12, 14, 16, 20 instead of 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, and 20 -- six in each case, unless I'm missing something)

Are the bonuses from action surge and the crit range better than having access to rogue features earlier and 2 dice of sneak attack damage? For some, sure, but it's not an obvious choice.

Geeknamese

Explorer
I still think you're better stopping at 1, especially if you are playing a rogue:

With fighter levels:
* Second wind, armour and shields and fighting style (which you don't mention) all come at level 1.
* Action surge at 2
* Improved crit range at 3
* ability boost at 4 (so you get a boost at character levels 4, 8, 12, 14, 16, 20 instead of 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, and 20 -- six in each case, unless I'm missing something)

Are the bonuses from action surge and the crit range better than having access to rogue features earlier and 2 dice of sneak attack damage? For some, sure, but it's not an obvious choice.

You do have a good point. The consistent damage from the higher sneak attack would probably make up for the rarer occasional burst from a crit. Haha, I'm at 5th level with my rogue now and you have me second guessing my future lol. Bravo!

Fralex

Explorer
I'm kind of confused where this notion that you could swing from a whip came from. How does a whip stay attached to a structure if the entire weight of a human is pulling on it?

Astrosicebear

First Post
I'm kind of confused where this notion that you could swing from a whip came from. How does a whip stay attached to a structure if the entire weight of a human is pulling on it?

It is possible, I think Mythbusters verified this one.

As the whip tail wraps around the object, it can be made so the larger portion overlaps the smaller portion, like wrapping a string around your finger, and then overlapping the string so any weight applied in a downward force exerts that force on the string as well, holding everything in place. Some slack and a quick whip should knock the loose hold out of place.

[video=youtube;6I_ESNuLwGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_ESNuLwGA[/video]

Remove ads