• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Cited in Hasbro Quarterly Report as Revenue Increase for Hasbro

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

As WrenOfWar wrote:

It did well. They didn't release numbers but in their 10-Q for the quarter ended this September (which means only the PHB and MM had released and not for very long) they cite the brand as one of their revenue makers.

"In the quarter, higher net revenues from MONOPOLY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, SIMON, DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS and OPERATION products were only partially offset by lower net revenues from other games brands, particularly BOP IT!, DUEL MASTERS and JENGA. In the first nine months of 2014, higher net revenues from MONOPOLY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, SIMON, DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, ELEFUN & FRIENDS and OPERATION products were more than offset by lower net revenues from other games brands, particularly BOP IT!, DUEL MASTERS, JENGA and TWISTER."

and

"The games category benefited from higher net revenues from MONOPOLY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, SIMON, CONNECT 4 and OPERATION products in both the quarter and nine-month periods ended September 28, 2014."

In all these years I cannot recall WOTC once citing D&D in their revenue numbers specifically. I recall it being mentioned a couple of times for new launches or innovation or things like that, but not crediting it for higher revenue. Maybe I missed a point where they did mention it like that previously...

Gecko85

Explorer
And that was only through Sept. The Basic Set had been out a little over 2 months, the PHB 1 month, and the DMG and MM had not yet been released.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Not surprising. D&D went from "almost no revenues" to "we're launching a new edition!". Of course there will be "[...] higher net revenues [...]". I bet those net revenues increased when the PHB came out. Just when D&D reappeared on the iCv2 list. But corrolation doesn't always mean causation, right?

What will be interesting will be to see if that trend continues. There seems to be restructuring right now at D&D. Reminds me of 2010-11 and we know where that went. We'll see how everything goes.

Hussar

Legend
Not surprising. D&D went from "almost no revenues" to "we're launching a new edition!". Of course there will be "[...] higher net revenues [...]". I bet those net revenues increased when the PHB came out. Just when D&D reappeared on the iCv2 list. But corrolation doesn't always mean causation, right?

What will be interesting will be to see if that trend continues. There seems to be restructuring right now at D&D. Reminds me of 2010-11 and we know where that went. We'll see how everything goes.

Just to put this in context though, IIRC, D&D was never mentioned, not even once, in any revenue statement from Hasbro in both 3e and 4e. That's how tiny D&D has been.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Just to put this in context though, IIRC, D&D was never mentioned, not even once, in any revenue statement from Hasbro in both 3e and 4e. That's how tiny D&D has been.

IIRC? When folks say, "This is how rumors get started," you do realize they are talking about you, right? :D :p

Anyway, can you dig any of those older reports up? It's sounds ridiculous that new edition releases didn't trigger higher net revenues. :)

Remove ads