TSR TSR's Lawrence Schick on the Development of The Known World

D&D historians may be interested in this fascinating article by TSR's head of design and development in the 1980s, Lawrence Schick. It deals with the creation of the Known World (which later became Mystara), one of the earliest D&D campaign settings (first officially mentioned in Module X1: The Isle of Dread). "We decided to plot out a single giant Pangea-type continent on which there would be fantasy-fictionalized versions of each of the above cultures. We also added homelands for the nonhuman races: Orcs, Goblins, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Lizard-Men, Deep Ones, Kzinti Catfolk, and Barsoomian Tharks, as well as a pirate kingdom, and areas where prehistoric creatures were the norm. Plus in every land there would be hidden cults that worshiped Lovecraftian Elder Gods... We dubbed this setting the “Known World,” to imply there was more out there yet to be discovered..."

D&D historians may be interested in this fascinating article by TSR's head of design and development in the 1980s, Lawrence Schick. It deals with the creation of the Known World (which later became Mystara), one of the earliest D&D campaign settings (first officially mentioned in Module X1: The Isle of Dread). "We decided to plot out a single giant Pangea-type continent on which there would be fantasy-fictionalized versions of each of the above cultures. We also added homelands for the nonhuman races: Orcs, Goblins, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Lizard-Men, Deep Ones, Kzinti Catfolk, and Barsoomian Tharks, as well as a pirate kingdom, and areas where prehistoric creatures were the norm. Plus in every land there would be hidden cults that worshiped Lovecraftian Elder Gods... We dubbed this setting the “Known World,” to imply there was more out there yet to be discovered..."

The article is well worth a read if D&D history is even slightly your thing.

TSR-The-Known-World-small.jpg

Keldryn

Adventurer
Awesome. I got my start with the Mentzer Basic and Expert Sets, so the Known World WAS the D&D campaign setting in my eyes.

The setting can be pretty gonzo at times, with a lot of silliness and a lack of internal consistency, but it was wildly imaginative, and will always be dear to me.

Ranes

Adventurer
Flippin' 'eck! I never knew much about this setting but now you tell me there are Kzinti! Thanks for the link.

Remove ads

Remove ads