• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Among the Githzerai . . . and into the Room with No Doors

pemerton

Legend
This is a slightly belated session report.

Our 4e group has been having trouble coordinating timetables for a few months, but we did get in one session since my last session report. (We have been playing some Burning Wheel instead.)

The fighter had landed among the githzerai, and was to fight 20 of the grand master's disciples in a show of prowess. It turns out that one 28th level fighter with good AoE against 20 level 27 minions doesn't have that much trouble. He let some come in close and then took them down with his auto-damage Sun Sphere. He then used Polearm Gamble to knock out any who tried to close, so they resorted to ranged attacks. And in the second round, the 28th level Elite lesser master - Ertrand - joined the fray.

This made things a bit more interesting - the player of the fighter had trouble deciding whether to focus on the minions or the real enemy, and couldn't take on all of them at once, as the minions had a range 5 attack and Ertrand a range 20 attack that dazed. In the end he took down the minions first, while making saves against the daze at the start of his turn (from a mixture of feats - Superior Will plus also some epic fighter feat, I think) and otherwise wearing the damage; and then once only Ertrand was left engaged him in melee.

For self-healing capabilities the fighter has two second winds (dwarven feat) each allowing two surges to be spent (Cloak of the Walking Wounded), plus a 1x/day Healing Word (multiclass cleric) plus a 1x/enc Battle Cry AoE attack that also lets him and allies spend a surge (Warpriest paragon path). By the end of the fight he had used all this healing, and he and Ertrand were confronting one another each with sufficiently few hit points left that they couldn't survive another successful attack. There is nothing like everything turning on the roll of a single d20! The fighter's player took his turn, and successfully hit, and knocked Ertrand down.

He then had to spend 4 more surges to get himself back up to full hit points with a short rest - so an expensive display of prowess (I think a full 10 surges). But Liricosa and the other githzerai were suitably impressed by his prowess.

The other PCs, meanwhile, had landed in their flying tower to watch the fight. Negotiations then opened up.

I was combing three ideas into this scenario, all from The Plane Below: the write-up of Liricosa; the write-up of Sanzaerathad and the Room with No Doors; and the write up of the Mote Swarm, where a githzerai NPC is trying to take control of an archon forge.

In the course of discussions with the githzerai, the PCs were able to piece together that the githzerai were guarding a secret in this place - a Room with No Doors - which Liricosa wanted them to enter, but which the other githzerai didn't want to talk about. The other githzerai were much more eager that the PCs should go and help capture the archon forge, so that the githzerai could forge themselves some air archons to help guard their secret.

The paladin PC seemed willing to go along with this, and the sorcerer - who as a Primordial Adept in service of Chan, Archomental Queen of good aerial creatures, is keen on air archons - seemed interested too. But the player of the fighter had worked out that inside the Room with No Doors was a sixth part of the Rod of Seven Parts, which the PC invoker needs to add to his existing 5 parts. They also worked out that inside the Room with No Doors was a highly dangerous and chaotic portal to the Abyss (which the githzerai are guarding), and they are looking for such a thing so that they can go and fight Lolth and then Orcus. So in the end they decided to skip the archon forge "side quest" and go straight for the Room with No Doors, and bullied the githzerai into opening a portal in it for them. (Liricosa seemed satisfied with this outcome.)

They insisted that the opening be big enough to fly their tower through, and once inside saw that there was a pit inside the room, maybe not quite big enough to fly their tower down, with the portal at the bottom. As they were lowering their tower down to test its size against that of the pit, they were assailed from below by a Discord Incarnate, plus two spectres and a wraith that phased through their tower.

Part-way through this combat we had to end the session. Next time we are quorate the mission will be to finish the fight, and then to find out (i) where the sixth part of the Rod is, and (ii) what happens when you go through a portal to the Abyss.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Great write-up, as always.

I must admit, I have another Neverwinter campaign coming up with a more elemental theme. Reading your session reports makes me want to expand the scope a lot more than I was initially planning... and also to feature the Rod of Seven Parts....

pemerton

Legend
Great write-up, as always.
Thanks. Though looking over it again today, I noticed that I didn't mention the negotiation with the githzerai was done as a skill challenge: that much-maligned mechanical framework once again coming into service!

The githzerai leadership (not Liricosa, but the formal leaders) were giving the PCs the run-around, telling them about the set-up at Sanzaerathad and showing them around - including all the meditators who maintain its integrity against the buffeting forces of chaos. But they wouldn't answer questions about the Room with No Doors. The fighter (and his player) was getting increasingly irritated, especially once he had worked out that there was a piece of the Rod there. At one stage I said to him that, as part of the skill challenge, he was welcome to spend an AoE encounter power and make an Aths (or Endurance? I can't remember) check to cut down all the meditators, and thereby gain access to the Room with No Doors without needing to get them to agree to reshape it! He was tempted to try this, but in the end the information and agreement was extracted peacefully.

I remember the fighter player made at least one, maybe two, Diplomacy and/or Intimidate checks - I think one failed and one succeeded. I'm always interested when I read posts about players not trying weak skills in skill challenges, because the fighter player seems to do it pretty often in my game (because he wants to be more aggressive or direct with the NCPs, and feels that the socially-oriented PCs like the paladin or the invoker beat around the bush too much).

I must admit, I have another Neverwinter campaign coming up with a more elemental theme. Reading your session reports makes me want to expand the scope a lot more than I was initially planning... and also to feature the Rod of Seven Parts....
I think the Rod is a fun item, and it's backstory is rich but flexible enough that you can make what you want of it as the campaign unfolds. In my game it's connected to Erathis (as god of law and civilisation) but it could be linked to Moradin, or Bahamut, or treated as its own thing that in some ways is beyond or above the gods.

I have the Neverwinter book but have only dipped into bits and pieces of its setting descriptions. But there seem to be a lot of active factions. Will you have any lycanthrope PCs? Those look like interesting themes, and you could have a triangular thing with Melora and Sehanine on one side against (say) Erathis and the Rod on another and elementals on the third. So a struggle between civilisation, wilderness and true chaos.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) I have the Neverwinter book but have only dipped into bits and pieces of its setting descriptions. But there seem to be a lot of active factions. Will you have any lycanthrope PCs? Those look like interesting themes, and you could have a triangular thing with Melora and Sehanine on one side against (say) Erathis and the Rod on another and elementals on the third. So a struggle between civilisation, wilderness and true chaos.

Melora and Erathis aren't part of FR but I get where you're going.

I'm actually running a 4E game online that started F2F with my long-time group in Oz. This other campaign will be set in the following year and will build on some events from the other campaign. Basically, group one woke up a slumbering city of aboleth (Golismorga: stolen from the Savage Tide adventure path) and group two are going to be dealing with that.

The aboleth are actually behind the spread of Elemental Evil because they want to break down reality and return the world to the primordial soup they prefer (this is largely explained in 3.5E's Lords of Madness).

Beyond the aboleth, the major factions are the Red Wizards of Thay and the Zhentarim. There may be a bit of Bane vs Cyric rivalry and the PCs may find the Banites can be allies. The wererats will still be around but a lot of the other factions are not so important (except the Uthgardt: they will ultimately play a significant role because I have their ancestor mounds acting as seals on the prisons of the primordials).

Anyway, I think I will throw a piece of the Rod of Seven Parts into the first adventure and see if I can make it into a campaign-defining macguffin.... :)

pemerton

Legend
Melora and Erathis aren't part of FR but I get where you're going.
Oops. Forgot about that (my FR-fu is weak).

the PCs may find the Banites can be allies
At the start of my campaign the PCs were enemies of Bane and Bane-ites, because fighting goblin raiders and hobgoblin armies. Now the invoker/wizard has Bane as one of his patrons, because Bane and Levistus want him (i) controlled and (ii) to block Asmodeus's ambitions in the Abyss, which jeopardise the rest of the cosmos; and when the character was resurrected around 15th level Bane persuaded the Raven Queen to make this part of the deal.

(The PC's theme is "Devil's Pawn" and he has an imp familiar.)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Oops. Forgot about that (my FR-fu is weak).

At the start of my campaign the PCs were enemies of Bane and Bane-ites, because fighting goblin raiders and hobgoblin armies. Now the invoker/wizard has Bane as one of his patrons, because Bane and Levistus want him (i) controlled and (ii) to block Asmodeus's ambitions in the Abyss, which jeopardise the rest of the cosmos; and when the character was resurrected around 15th level Bane persuaded the Raven Queen to make this part of the deal.

(The PC's theme is "Devil's Pawn" and he has an imp familiar.)

Hehe... yeah, I have a pretty good grasp on your campaign: I've been reading it from the beginning and even went back and re-read the whole thing at least once. :)

In canon FR, Cyric begins the 4E era imprisoned for being very naughty. He is, essentially, CE while Bane is, of course, LE (in non-4E terms). They have an extensive rivalry dating back to when Cyric was made part of the pantheon with 2E and the Time of Troubles.

IMC, Cyric is trying to get free from his prison and one of the ways to do so is to tap into what the aboleth are doing. Or is it the other way around: maybe the aboleth are tapping into what the Cyricists are doing? Suffice to say, Bane doesn't want his arch-rival free so that's why the Banites could easily become allies at some point.

Oh, and the Zhentarim were founded by Banites and now are back to being a largely Cyricist organisation but, IMC at least, those two factions frequently clash.

As for the devil's pawn theme, that's on offer in my game too but I don't use Asmodeus: Malkizid, the Branded King, is a creation of Rich Baker's and is the baatezu behind most elven screw-ups including the events that led to the FR version of the descent of the drow. I find him infinitely more interesting than Asmodeus and far more FR-relevant. An aspect of Malkizid will probably make an appearance in my group one Neverwinter campaign but he won't be playing a part in this second game.

I can't wait to get started.... :)

Remove ads