Damaging Other Peoples' Property

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sociopathy and narcissism seem to be rather rampant these days.

I don't know. It seems more to me the words "sociopath" and "narcissist" are leaking into common parlance, and getting overused.

Both those terms have definitions that are well beyond, "You seemed to be selfish in my one interaction with you as a stranger."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I would substitute "anti-social" and "self-centered" in most cases- accurate enough without the clinical/criminal connotations.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know. It seems more to me the words "sociopath" and "narcissist" are leaking into common parlance, and getting overused.

Both those terms have definitions that are well beyond, "You seemed to be selfish in my one interaction with you as a stranger."

Well given the number of people I run into these days who seem to have zero empathy and are self fixated, I'd say that the usage is accurate.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well given the number of people I run into these days who seem to have zero empathy and are self fixated, I'd say that the usage is accurate.

Well, you see, that's the thing - when you see them is not the whole of their lives. They probably don't have zero empathy. They just aren't displaying empathy towards you, when you are dealing with them. They have people in their lives they care about, and very likely even care about strangers, too.

There is a hefty, hefty tendency towards confirmation bias - we remember the things that confirm what we already think, or want to believe. We tend to forget, or discount, the thousands of times those things don't happen. People say, "Excuse me," or "Oops, sorry," recognizing the difficulty they give others all the time.

The people who are walking away from the dinged car aren't usually being sociopathic. They are avoiding a confrontation with a person they know will be angry. That's rather the opposite of lacking in empathy - they know darned full well you'll be mad, and fear consequences. And since leaving is so, so easy, they do that. Avoidance behavior is not sociopathic.

That is, if they've even noticed they've dinged your car at all.

Janx

Hero
Will your insurance not cover a proper repaint?

just about any body part with a dent is going to be $700-$1500 to hammer it out and repaint.

deductible is likely $500. So the OP would have to pay $500 for a scratch.

It's not worth the money to fix because a body does the same repaint routine regardless of size of damage.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If they ding mine I will have to suck up the deductible and get it fixed immediately...just sayin'

Mine.jpg

Remove ads