Most memorable moments?

X.plosion

First Post
You guys got any really memorable RPG moments, things that you'll never forget. I've been playing for a couple years and so far I got nothing. Let me know what your more memorablw moments are.

gamecat

Explorer
Tonite I established some. We sat around a table of dice and just laughed our asses off at nothing. It was friggin hilarious...

Had to be there moments

I was playing Vampire with a bunch of guys at my college and I had never played before, so they told me they'd help me out. You know, roll this to do that, etc. But they never really told me any background on the game other than "you're a vampire" So I make a Brujah punk who is the epitomy (sp?) of the punk scene: F authority, F what you think, F you! Anyway, he's playing with his band on stage and this guy dressed in really nice clothes comes in. He watches for a while and when the band is done the set, the guy is still there. My character goes (in thick English accent) "ey mate, the prissy concert is down the street!" At this point, the bartender (who is a Nosferatu) blanches and begins shaking. My char leans over and asks him what he's afraid of, and the Nos replies: "That's a (i forget the name, but they're the enforcers of the Masquerade..kinda like cops)"
And my character goes "What's a (cop guy)?" At which point the whole table is laughing hysterically because I just pissed off this enforcer guy and I have no clue what he can do.

Last edited:

Atavar

First Post
I guess I have three types of memorable moments.

One, memorable for me as a character. I was playing a half-elven bard named Beren Ritter in a home brew campaign. I was, stat-wise, the weakest party member. Despite that, luck, skill, and things just falling into place properly had me dealing the death-blow to the campaign's major villain, who had plagued the world for nearly a thousand years. Beren finally became worthy of other bards' songs.

Two, memorable for me as a DM. We had played through several pre-published adventures, and I had decided to try my hand at an adventure I had created all on my own. So, in the final, climatic battle with the BBEG, just when the party was about to lose the adventure, they won. Same old story, I know, but here's the memorable part for me--they all jumped up, cheered heartily, and had high-fives all around. Despite so many similar situations, they've only reacted like that to things I wrote myself. I took that as high praise, and it felt great.

Three, memorable because of how hard we laughed. For example, in one battle I was running, the party was just slaughtering all of their foes. It was such a one-sided battle that I lamented, with unintentional sincerity, "My people!" Everyone laughed for quite a while, and to this day players still refer to similar "my people" moments.

Another example of that third one.... For some reason that I've forgotten, someone brought up that '80s song, "Simply Irresistible." Then, several minutes later, someone was noting the fact that phantom fungi are naturally invisible. Feeling smart-alicky, I sang, "Naturally Invisible" to the tune of "Simply Irresistible." Everyone laughed, and we spent the next several minutes coming up with more lyrics. We even talked about the video, where identical pixies are swaying back and forth to the music...but you can't see them!

Ahhh.....the memories....

Thanks,

Atavar

----------

"Never get them wet. Never expose them to sunlight. And never, ever feed them after midnight." -- The Care and Feeding of a Mogwai.

wizardoftheplains

First Post
This one happened when 3 of us were playing D and D 2e.
I was playing a 13th level ranger and my friend was playing a 13th level paladin with psionics. We always tried to top each other while playing over the years but the paladin would get the best of me more times than I liked.

So we were making a mad dash into the fortified stronghold our our death knight nemisis and were racing up the stairs to release some prisoners (female) that we were trying to save. I was first up the stairs and heard noise coming from the other side. I was able to duck into the shadows as the door burst open and trolls started pouring through. I kept hidden until all 10 were through. My companion down below started fighting the trolls two handed as they came at them. He expected me to attack them from behind...we'd meet up in the middle of the stairs. He was doing very well and the fair maiden prisoners were calling...so I stepped into the upper level and shut the door on him. The DM nearly died laughing. The paladin was downing his foes and making his way up the stair readily enough...but then the ones behind started regenerating and coming up from behind him. The healing he could call upon from his having psionics and from being a paladin were what saved him. I knew he'd be alright...he always came out on top...and I so wanted to be the one to release the ladys. He was speechless (and mostly shredded) when he finally made it up the stairs to meet me and the prisoners. That was in the late 80's. We still talk about that night...for all of us...it was one of the best moments we had playing.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Zob the Fighter was potentially the unluckiest character I've ever met. In 1E, you didn't lose a level for being raised... it was always a point of Con. Zob started at level 1 with 18 Con.

By the time I left the group (shifted cities), his Con was 10. (That Ring of Regeneration was - literally - a godsend...)

----

There was the night the player had to pop out to work for a couple of hours during a session. "Look after Zob for me," he told us.

When he returned, he asked how things were going.

"Um... you died."
"Oh."
"Um... twice."

----

There was the time the horde of ghouls had paralyzed everyone else in the party, and were moving in on Zob. Zob looked at the odds, and broke his Wand of Fireballs, releasing all the charges. Eventually, thanks to his Ring, Zob woke up. A few days of sifting through charred corpses later, he'd managed to bring everyone else back...

----

There was the time the demon saw Zob using his Boots of Levitation. "Why don't we head up there where all these other people won't get in the way of our fight?" the demon Suggested. Zob's Wisdom was terrible, and he failed his save. "Sure!" he agreed.

The demon could fly and fight just fine. Zob, trying to levitate and swing his sword, found things going badly for him. Party to the rescue!

The ranger fired a +4 arrow. The magic-user cast Lightning Bolt. The monk threw a javelin of lightning. The dwarf released a lightning bolt from his magic warhammer.

The ranger hit Zob. The demon was immune to electricity; Zob wasn't.

Oops.

----

Oddly enough, when his Ring of Regeneration got Disjoined at the end of that adventure, Zob stopped dying...

-Hyp.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Prepare to laugh, as I did when it happened.

Some of you may remember me posting about one of the local players, the epitome of every negative aspect of gaming there is: characters who don't receive names until level 10 or 11; when they do its usually either a) a sports figure or b) an extremely offensive racial epithet, oftentimes cunningly disguised by being spelled backwards; always the size of Shaquille O'Neal, regardless of class or race; always fights with a greatsword, again regardless of class; and is generally belligerent. This story is about him.

In the hoary days of 2e (back when there was a sizable gaming community in this little burg), myself and 3 or 4 other guys were playing when we found ourselves captured by pirates. The pirates did pirate-y things, taunting and such, and the munchkin-player said something to the effect of "F that!" and made a bend bars/lift gates roll. He broke his rope bonds and began brandishing his fists at a pirate. Somehow, he (the character) ended up drawing his sword. The other pirates replied in kind, and suddenly the munchkin had well over a dozen swords pointed at him.

In a fine display of munchkinism, his reaction to this development was to kill the pirate at whom he had become so mysteriously ticked. Whereupon the captain came down. The munchkin put up a fight, and managed to kill half a dozen pirates, but eventually found himself thrown overboard. So here we were, almost getting killed in the crossfire because this guy chose to be an idiot. The munchkin's in the water, now, frantically swimming back towards the ship, screaming (the actual player, not just the character) "F this, I'll F'ing kill all you F'ers!" When it became obvious that the pirates wouldn't let him back on board, he yelled "F this, I'll swim back to shore!" - forgetting we were nearly 300 miles out to sea - and of course, drowned.

Then the player got all pissy with the DM for killing his character, picked up his dice, and went home. Good riddance.

----------------------

A more recent one was in my OA campaign, when one of the characters - a half-fiend half-orc samurai - rescued the other player - a female shugenja - from a menacing tzuchinoko (a huge viper, really). During the battle, he was poisoned, and after the battle had the shugenja cast a regiment of healing spells on him, including neutralize poison. Then five minutes later, he reads his sheet - "I'm immune to poison!"

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
In the 3E game I'm currently DMing, the sorcerer made it all the way to 5th level without losing a single hit point. I came so close to hitting him so many times... the ettin's hurled longspear only missed due to range penalties... the wyvern's fly-by attack only missed due to the half-cover... the wizard who was going to magic missile him rolled a low initiative, and the sorcerer ran away before I could cast.

(He did take three points of subdual damage at 1st level, but that was because the paladin punched him.)

He finally lost a hit point last session... when he opened the flask of alchemist's fire to see what was inside...

The rest of the party spontaneously cheered.

-Hyp.

shilsen

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
In the 3E game I'm currently DMing, the sorcerer made it all the way to 5th level without losing a single hit point. I came so close to hitting him so many times... the ettin's hurled longspear only missed due to range penalties... the wyvern's fly-by attack only missed due to the half-cover... the wizard who was going to magic missile him rolled a low initiative, and the sorcerer ran away before I could cast.

(He did take three points of subdual damage at 1st level, but that was because the paladin punched him.)

He finally lost a hit point last session... when he opened the flask of alchemist's fire to see what was inside...

The rest of the party spontaneously cheered.

-Hyp.

Same thing happened to my current character (a rgr/rog archer). I think he went from 5th (lvl at which he joined the party) to 8th lvl without being touched. And then he opened a flask and got a faceful of alchemist's fire. I think there's an I Can't Hit The PCs Anonymous group selling them out there.

Last edited:

Remove ads