D&D 5E Attack of the Clones: Simulacrum

Zardnaar

Legend
I have been looking at the various claims that simulacrum is broken and I have looked at the pros and cons of the spell. I have actually seen simulacrum in use although that was at level 13 or so and the wizard only had a single simulacrum. That simulacrum however was used to spam cantrips a lot.

The spell is level 7 it creates a duplicate that has all the abilities of the original but only 50% of the hit points. It costs money to create and can’t regain spells and it is somewhat difficult to heal one. The abuse of simulacrum revolves around the use of the wish spell to duplicate the simulacrum spell to get around the cost of the material components.

Note that when you cast the spell you have used a wish spell the duplicate will lack a level 9 spell as it is a duplicate of the oriignal which has already cast simulacrum. RAW you can create a clone army by doing it this way as the clones themselves lack the wish spell.

One could of course create a clone by hard casting the simulacrum spell and the simulacrum will have a wish spell they can cast once. However unless they are level 20 they will lack a simulacrum spell themselves. Either way the simulacrum has no way to regain the expended spell slot.

This means your simulacrums will be very limited in creating follow on simulacrums. At best you might have something like this at level 20. The wizard casts a wish spell and creates a simulacrum. Not that wizard can’t create another simulacrum as if you create another one the original is destroyed. That simulacrum however can create 1 more using a level 7 or 8 spell slot but they have to pay money for it. That simulacrum however is missing a level 7 or 8 spell slot as each simulacrum created is missing a spell slot. Each simulacrum however is getting weaker and weaker. Each simulacrum can only control 1 simulacrum as per the outlines of the original spell regardless if a wish spell is used or not. Each simulacrum is in effect a vassal to its creator.

Assuming the wizard had a 16 con at level 20 he would have around 142 hit points.
Simulacrum 1 has 71 hp, that simulacrums clone has 35 hp and going further doewn the chain the 17hp, 8 hp and 4 hp before no more can be created. Each simulacrum also costs gold at this point. Some of those are going to cost real money to create and wish could be cast by the last ones in the chain.

Now a player might start to think they can just recast wish the next day and create a new 71 hp clone which is a fine idea but it destroys the old 71 hp clone. That new clone can then create a 35 hp clone etc and start the cylcle all over again. However each time you do this the original caster loses control over all of the clones as the vassal chain is broken. Once that chain is broken the simulacrums should really become NPCs the original caster has no control over the 35 hp clones. The 35 hp clones however do have control over the 16hp, 8 hp etc clones.

Now this is where things get interesting IMHO. You can only create a small daisy chain of duplicates which get weaker and weaker. RAW you can’t create a clone army and control it. Each duplicate however thinks like the original caster Lets assume the spell caster did this for a month or so and creates a new clone every day and over that month the clones do there own thing and create more clones etc. At the end of the month though the original caster only has 1 clone directly under his control. There is around 120 clones outside his control and odds are that caster should be broke by now as well.

Now if a PC wizard somehow was restricted from regaining spell slots odds are they would seek a solution to get around that. Each of the clones faces that restriction and each clone has the same ability and thoughts as the original caster. And the caster has created over 100 level 20 wizards outside of his direct control and they should really be NPCs under the DMs control. Now one would think that one of these duplicates would come up with the thought that they should be able to regain spell slots as life is not fair. Unless the original caster is a LG paragon of virtue around about now I would think he might struggle vs his army of minions he doesn’t technically control.

As a DM if a player tried this this would be what I would be thinking. Those clones can actually still cast more spells via scrolls and they are capable of using mundane research to locate creatures that can cast spells for them such as granting wishes and the clones are capable of using scrolls as well including wish. Maybe one of them can regain spells by turning the original caster into a simulacrum and they replace the original. All they need to do is subdue the original caster and use a wish spell to trade place which I would rule is a charisma save since it is a form of possession I suppose. Even if they can’t replace the original they can still kill him as well. The 35hp alpha clones only need to conspire among themselves as well as the vassal simulacrums will follow orders.

Now that’s what would happen in my games if a PC tried to abuse the simulacrum spell.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I would slow some of the abuse by not allowing chain cloning. It takes days to pull off and is not useable in the middle of encounter. If you have a few days of preparation, you could pull off some weird stuff. You don't simulacrum the simulacrum. You have the simulacrum caster cast simulacrum of the original. It's his copy, not yours, but it still has half your hit points. It would be multiple clones with 71 hit points or half of whoever the original is. If multiple wizards can each simulacrum the same guy, no reason multiple simulacrums couldn't do the same thing using the original as the source. Nothing in the simulacrum spell indicates you must create a simulacrum of a simulacrum.

I don't have a problem with base simulacrum. Near as I can tell it's one of the ways the wizard keeps pace with everyone else's overall power.

As far as the rest of your post, that sounds like fun. That would make for an amazing story. I think they did that with Manshoon. They've probably done it before in other stories. It would still be big fun to have to fight a clone army trying to kill you because they believe you are the false clone. You could build an entire campaign out of that idea. Some wizard screws up creating too many clones. It ends up with him being under near constant attack.

Kikuras

First Post
For what it's worth, and that's likely not much, but I noticed something when I was reading over the spell. I have taken the liberty of applying bold to the interesting factor.

"If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed."

I'm not saying it means anything, just saying it's interesting.

Diamabel

First Post
Note that when you cast the spell you have used a wish spell the duplicate will lack a level 9 spell as it is a duplicate of the oriignal which has already cast simulacrum. RAW you can create a clone army by doing it this way as the clones themselves lack the wish spell.

One could of course create a clone by hard casting the simulacrum spell and the simulacrum will have a wish spell they can cast once. However unless they are level 20 they will lack a simulacrum spell themselves. Either way the simulacrum has no way to regain the expended spell slot.

This means your simulacrums will be very limited in creating follow on simulacrums. At best you might have something like this at level 20. The wizard casts a wish spell and creates a simulacrum. Not that wizard can’t create another simulacrum as if you create another one the original is destroyed. That simulacrum however can create 1 more using a level 7 or 8 spell slot but they have to pay money for it. That simulacrum however is missing a level 7 or 8 spell slot as each simulacrum created is missing a spell slot. Each simulacrum however is getting weaker and weaker. Each simulacrum can only control 1 simulacrum as per the outlines of the original spell regardless if a wish spell is used or not. Each simulacrum is in effect a vassal to its creator.

Assuming the wizard had a 16 con at level 20 he would have around 142 hit points.
Simulacrum 1 has 71 hp, that simulacrums clone has 35 hp and going further doewn the chain the 17hp, 8 hp and 4 hp before no more can be created. Each simulacrum also costs gold at this point. Some of those are going to cost real money to create and wish could be cast by the last ones in the chain.

Now a player might start to think they can just recast wish the next day and create a new 71 hp clone which is a fine idea but it destroys the old 71 hp clone. That new clone can then create a 35 hp clone etc and start the cylcle all over again. However each time you do this the original caster loses control over all of the clones as the vassal chain is broken. Once that chain is broken the simulacrums should really become NPCs the original caster has no control over the 35 hp clones. The 35 hp clones however do have control over the 16hp, 8 hp etc clones.

-Phase 1: You begin the chain by hard casting simulacrum, copying yourself. -This simulacrum will be short 1 level 7 slot (this does not mean however that it cannot cast wish to duplicate simulacrum, as it is not contingent on having a level 7 spot to cast simulacrum, or even having simulacrum prepared)
-Phase 2: Long rest- recover your level 7 slot. Have your first simulacrum cast wish and copy *you* - not itself, but you. (71 hp assumed)
-Phase 3: Have all subsequent simulacrums also copy you (71 hp), repeat until done.

Zardnaar

Legend
-Phase 1: You begin the chain by hard casting simulacrum, copying yourself. -This simulacrum will be short 1 level 7 slot (this does not mean however that it cannot cast wish to duplicate simulacrum, as it is not contingent on having a level 7 spot to cast simulacrum, or even having simulacrum prepared)
-Phase 2: Long rest- recover your level 7 slot. Have your first simulacrum cast wish and copy *you* - not itself, but you. (71 hp assumed)
-Phase 3: Have all subsequent simulacrums also copy you (71 hp), repeat until done.

Yeah I missed that part my bad.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Two things come to mind right off the bat. First, it's made partially of "ice and snow". That's gotta be a fairly large limiter, but lets say you are high up in the mountians or in the Great White North or something, so that's not much of a problem.

The second is a bit more "DM interpretation'ey". The sentence that says something to the effect of "the simulacrum lacks the ability to learn or become more powerful". That's where I'd focus on as a DM if I had a pi$$y player trying to pull these kinds of power-gaming-I-wanna-win tomfoolery. In such a case, I'd ask the player"Well, what is your reasoning for creating this Simulacrum?". If his reasoning was "To create a nigh-unstoppable army of obedient 20th level wizard slaves and take over the world! Muw-ah-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!"...I'd put that instantly into the "...become more powerful" part and disallow any Simulacrum from creating another Simulacrum, because the end result is that the casting Simulacrum has "become more powerful" by proxy.

If the player said "I want to get the Simulacrum to go deliver the ultimatum to The Dread Great Dark Lord of the Caves while the rest of us scry and see if he falls for it"...no problem. In this case the Simulacrum's goal isn't power, it's utility.

Basically, I used to DM all "how/where can I find a rule that refutes this players power-grab?", so that I didn't have to actually confront the player about what he is doing. I stopped doing that decades ago. Now when I see a player try and manipulate the rules for no reason other than to try and "mess with the game", who's core desire isn't to help everyone at the table build a good story or encourage everyone to have a better time...I just say "No". If the player asks why, I outright tell him the truth. Usually something like "The only reason you want to do this is to have your character become more powerful and be able to have your clones take all the risks while you get all the rewards. You aren't doing this for character reasons...you're doing them purely for power gaming reasons. Right?". The first couple of times I confronted a player about this, they got all red-faced, sputtered something about "no...not really...uh...never mind...uh...yeah.....hmmmm........" because they knew they had been "caught" trying to "cheat" at an RPG. Now, when one of them starts to get lead down this dark road I can just say "Really? Your character is doing this....why again?"...they know what's up and modify or otherwise reign it in a bit.

So far, this "confront the player, not the character" approach has worked 10 out of 10 times and made for a MUCH better gaming experience for everyone at the table.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Actually, it is inherently self-limiting, but I missed it. Any simulacrum only obeys the spoken, verbal commands of its creator. From the PHB:
"It obeys your spoken commands, moving and acting in accordance with your wishes and acting on your turn in combat."
Since only one of the army of simulacra was created by you, only one of them will take direction from you. Commanding your army of simulacra would require a tedious, unmanageable chain of "tell your simulacra to tell his simulacra to tell his simulacra....." Also, if any simulacra were destroyed, all of its heirs become incapable of receiving further instruction.

Since the text is so explicit in specifying that it will only take direction form you, is it not a reasonable ruling that you could not simply command it to listen to someone else?

Kikuras

First Post
The problem to me with the spell is not a matter of power... but a matter of annoyance, to the DM and possibly the other players. How I would deal with it (and the very interruptible 12-hour casting time) would depend more on how annoying it is. And if there is too much power collected, for whatever reason... they'd start having accidents. Falling down stairs, slipping in the bathtub, being run over by a wagon.

I'd also probably throw in some aberrant behavior, for flavor. Nothing like finding two of your clones going at it hot and heavy on the breakfast table. Or in bed with your wife?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Actually, it is inherently self-limiting, but I missed it. Any simulacrum only obeys the spoken, verbal commands of its creator. From the PHB:Since only one of the army of simulacra was created by you, only one of them will take direction from you. Commanding your army of simulacra would require a tedious, unmanageable chain of "tell your simulacra to tell his simulacra to tell his simulacra....." Also, if any simulacra were destroyed, all of its heirs become incapable of receiving further instruction.

Since the text is so explicit in specifying that it will only take direction form you, is it not a reasonable ruling that you could not simply command it to listen to someone else?

True. It would get seriously unwieldy communicating with a horde of simulacra. One or two, you probably ok. Too many and you're in the land of will take too damn long.

Derren

Hero
True. It would get seriously unwieldy communicating with a horde of simulacra. One or two, you probably ok. Too many and you're in the land of will take too damn long.

Except that the simulacra are intelligent beings (uses all the statistics of the creature it duplicates). That means it can act on its own and does not need constant supervision to do anything. So the first order through the chain would be "Obey the commands of the person you were copied from". The second would be "Work together when carrying out orders".
Then you just need to give them an objective like "Storm the keep of the evil mad titan" and let your army do the rest.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases