You must whip it...whip it good

MarauderX

Explorer
Following this post in the Rules Forum, I decided to get some feedback on how the whip is used. I understand the subdual damage and armor things, but IMO it is rather underpowered when trying to disarm. Since it is a 'small' weapon, the opponent you are trying to disarm gets a +4 for each size greater the weapon is. I have always considered the whip a 'large' weapon since it does have a reach melee attack. Any thoughts on how you run it would be great.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=742636#post742636

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Frankly, I completely changed the whip. IMC it is an exotic melee weapon which does 1d3 damage and has 15ft reach.

I threw away the subdual bit, the "hand held ranged weapon" bit, the "doesn't damage anyone in armour" bit - all of which make it a nonsensical weapon.

Under my simple rules its main use is for keeping big things at bay which don't want to attract AoO. Gosh, a bit like, you know, real life? Not to mention pulp fiction and lion tamers. It is the only thing that really makes sense.

I also allow a feat for people to make ranged grapple attacks with whips.

Cheers

DreamChaser

Explorer
the problem with it being a reach weapon is that it can't attack anyone within that range. only those 15 feet away.

My solution to this is to keep it a ranged weapon but remove the armor thing. I figure that a weapons grade whip (as opposed to a bull-whip) is probably a little tougher than the usual. It should also be a Medium weapon with smaller 10 foot versions for small characters.

Just my thoughts.
DC

Felix

Explorer
Hey Marauder,

About small vs medium vs large weapon, the whip is rather small, after all; Indiana Jones had it looped on his belt and it never got in the way. It's 15 feet long sure, but it doesn't weigh that much.

As for what it is, it's a melee weapon (I get to say things like this in the house rules forum!:)) upon which Weapon Finesse may apply. It has a 15' reach, and it doesn't threaten any areas. It may be used to attack foes adjacent and those at a range. So what if it deals subdual damage: whips will cut skin but the pain is more signifigant than the damage. And it certainly won't get through platemail. I like the whip (damage wise) as is. You have to be clever to use it effectively.

Try combining using a whip and the Use Rope skill: instant 15' rope that can be untied from what it's anchored to with a flick of the wrist.

Whip + Animal Handling: Animals learn tricks faster.
Whip + Climb: More Indy goodness
Whip instead of Disable Device: Set traps off from long range.
Whip + Heal: Can be used for a tournequet in dire straits.
Whip + Intimidate: +2 to +4 circumstance bonus. That snap is scary!
Whip + Perform: Sigfried and Roy!
Whip + Ride: Get the most out of the hitched horses.
Whip + Jump: ever play Bionic Commando?

Last but not least; if you're starving, you can eat it!

Whips are great!

ichabod

Legned
I just made it an exotic ranged weapon that did 1d4 damage. Then I made the bullwhip be a medium version that does 1d6.

Last edited:

MarauderX

Explorer
Well, my big problem is with the whip's size category. It has to be pretty long and thick at the user's end to reach that 15'. In the old basic rules, the whip had a higher encumberance (not weight) since it would tend to catch on things, uncoil, etc. I would like it to be a medium sized weapon, as it is larger than any of the small weapons and a few of the medium ones as well IMO.

Felix: Whip + heal? Kinda stretching it a bit...
I haven't played any Bionic Commando, but I like the idea of assisting the Jump to leap over something just like Pitfall - remember that one?
And lastly... how many calories does a whip have?

MarauderX

Explorer
Well, my big problem is with the whip's size category. It has to be pretty long and thick at the user's end to reach that 15'. In the old basic rules, the whip had a higher encumberance (not weight) since it would tend to catch on things, uncoil, etc. I would like it to be a medium sized weapon, as it is larger than any of the small weapons and a few of the medium ones as well IMO.

Felix: Whip + heal? Kinda stretching it a bit...
I haven't played any Bionic Commando, but I like the idea of assisting the Jump to leap over something just like Pitfall - remember that one?
And lastly... how many calories does a whip have?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
DreamChaser said:
the problem with it being a reach weapon is that it can't attack anyone within that range. only those 15 feet away.

DC

I treat it like the spiked chain, in that it can be used within its whole range.

Felix

Explorer
Whip + Heal. Yeah, definitely streching, but it could be used as a tourniquet dangnabbit!:D

Ah yes, Pitfall. Wonderful game that; a good example to whippers everywhere.

Calories? It's just old tough jerkey. Like the stuff they sell at 7-11.

Remove ads